6th October letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

You ventured to guess that Anderson's witness was the same Joseph Hyam Levy in # 6 of The Seaside Home: Could Schwartz or Lawende Have Put the Ripper's Neck in a Noose?

​I pointed out in # 493 of the same thread that Levy could not have been Anderson's witness:

We are asked to believe that he pretended not to recognise the suspect, nor to have got a good look at him, then admitted he did get a good look, then identified him, and only then, on learning (Anderson's word) that the suspect was Jewish, or (Swanson) that the suspect was also a Jew, refused to testify against him, even though he had known all along that the suspect [allegedly a relative of his] was Jewish.

In spite of being reminded of this refutation of your suggestion, you have never even replied.

I refer also to # 497 of the same thread, in which I posed the following question:

Anderson was definite that the witness did not recognise the suspect as being Jewish and that it was only on learning that the person he had identified was Jewish that he refused to testify against him.

Can you please explain why Levy would have needed to be reminded that his relative, whom he is alleged to have recognised in Duke Street, was Jewish?​

I refer also to your dissertation An Alternate Kosminski Suspect and Police Witness: Some Perspectives and Points to Ponder

at

from which I quote:

I suggest ... evidence came to light indicating that either Kosminski may have been involved in the Coles killing, or that (more likely) the police learned from Lawende that Levy knew the Kosminski family... Levy is then tracked down and reluctantly taken to the Seaside Home to identify Kosminski. He fails to give evidence against Kosminski.

You make the same mistake of thinking it possible that Anderson's witness could have known the suspect before he saw him in Church Passage.

I note that in the same article, instead of accepting that Kosminski could not have committed the murder of Frances Coles, you hypothesise that a different Kosminski killed Coles and that Aaron was involved in the earlier murders, with Swanson considering the murder of Coles as the last in the series.

Having two Kosminskis murdering women in London when there is not a shred of evidence that anyone called Kosminski ever murdered anyone goes well with your implied suggestion that Joseph Hyam Levy had to be reminded that someone already known to him was Jewish.
    Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 04-02-2023, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

See pg. 224 of Letters from Hell. He's got the wrong letter.

The missive dated, Friday 5 October, and found between Princess Road and Selhurst Railway Station was addressed to "Inspector, Police St[ation]: Gipsey Hill" and read:

A WARNING
      At midnight--a woman will be murdered at the High Level St.
      Be on your guard
      Leather - Apron

The letter being discussed was dated 6 October 1888, but was received (stamped) on 8 October.
      Thank you both!

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
        The interesting thing I see about this postcard is where it was found. It was found on the ground in Croydon between Princess Road and Selhurst Railway Station. The question is, was it actually sent to the person intended, or did the writer get cold feet before sending it and discard it? Or, did the intended person receive it and discard it taking the advice of the author?
        Is there any information on who found the letter or how it ended up in the official files?
        "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post
          Don’t know whether that is significant - wouldn't want to hang an entire theory on a single letter or anything....

Good thing some of us have things like science that supports our theories too.

You should work on that.
          Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
          JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Good thing some of us have things like science that supports our theories too.

You should work on that.
            Ha ha well I was angling for a bite and seems I landed a fine minnow!

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

Is there any information on who found the letter or how it ended up in the official files?
              I don't know much about this letter. Apparently, it was NOT the letter found in Croydon on the street. I guess the Casebook wiki got that part wrong and another website that states it was clear to see in the National Archives it was found in Croydon. As Gareth and RJ have pointed out from the book Letters from Hell, an October 5, 1888 missive was found in the street between Selhurst Station and Princess Road, Croydon and addressed to the Gipsy Hill Police Inspector.

I was interested in the letter IF it was found in Croydon at the location stated. It would have explained a lot, actually. Maybe even a possible motive for the Alice McKenzie murder. Again, IF the letter was postmarked or not would implicate two possible directions for research into a link to the murderer's identification. The October 5th missive is still interesting, but doesn't have the same implications, really.
              Last edited by jerryd; 04-04-2023, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post

I don't know much about this letter. Apparently, it was NOT the letter found in Croydon on the street. I guess the Casebook wiki got that part wrong and another website that states it was clear to see in the National Archives it was found in Croydon. As Gareth and RJ have pointed out from the book Letters from Hell, an October 5, 1888 missive was found in the street between Selhurst Station and Princess Road, Croydon and addressed to the Gipsy Hill Police Inspector.

I was interested in the letter IF it was found in Croydon at the location stated. It would have explained a lot, actually. Maybe even a possible motive for the Alice McKenzie murder. Again, IF the letter was postmarked or not would implicate two possible directions for research into a link to the murderer's identification. The October 5th missive is still interesting, but doesn't have the same implications, really.
                Hi Jerry.

I don't know if this will interest you, but the Croydon Guardian received a 'Ripper' letter on Monday, October 15th, as reported on the 20th.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Croydon Chronicle 20 Oct 1888.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	808148

Comment

Thank you R.J.

Yes, that is interesting. As we all know, it's hard to give much thought to some/any of the letters received in this case. The October 6th postcard was different for what I'm looking at and had similarities to Dear Boss and Saucy Jack. If a note like that is found lying in a street in Croydon, it shines a different light. But, it wasn't found in Croydon so that becomes a dead end.

Comment

Working...
                  X