X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True

Originally posted by Monty View Post
    City PC Donald Rumbelow, Simon.

He told me that's how he was told to wear his helmet when he was a young Bobby.

Monty
    It's also how I was told to wear mine. There should be an inch between the tip of the helmet and the tip of the nose. The shape of a traditional police helmet is such that it can only be securely worn in this way. The chinstrap should also be on the chin, never under it (to reduce the risk of strangulation by an attacker during an attack from the rear). I would have attached a photo of David Tennant as Dixon of Dock Green (showing how not to do it!), but there are copyright considerations.

Regards, Bridewell.
    Last edited by Bridewell; 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
      To be honest Colin,

The Watkins actor got it wrong.

Hold your thumb knuckle at the tip of your nose, and where the tip of your thumb finishes, that's where the helmet peak should sit.

However this guy didn't do that. Apparently actors like to get their faces seen.

Monty
      As a professional actress, I can tell you, it's not the actors fault most of the time. It's the director not knowing what that small piece is supposed to look like and so telling the actor to wear it differently. Or it's the lighting guy saying "when it's forward like that, it puts shadows on your face and that doesn't work." Or the Director of Photography saying "That helmet is in the way of the shot of this other actor, fudge it to the top of your head"...

Comment

• any updates on this new wall writing photo ? or are we still where we were ?

Comment

• Things are progressing Jason,

Albeit slowly.

One of the issues is the availability of those concerned. Some of the staff work part time hours and this, coupled with leave, illness and the recent Jubilee celebrations have bogged things down a little.

Also, on top of that, further avenues have opened up which are, at the moment, being explored.

Believe me, Rob and I are still on this.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Helmets

Originally posted by fireskin View Post
            As a professional actress, I can tell you, it's not the actors fault most of the time. It's the director not knowing what that small piece is supposed to look like and so telling the actor to wear it differently. Or it's the lighting guy saying "when it's forward like that, it puts shadows on your face and that doesn't work." Or the Director of Photography saying "That helmet is in the way of the shot of this other actor, fudge it to the top of your head"...

Hi Fireskin,

I'm sure you're right but it certainly removes the realism from the production. Why do all these directors want their actors to look like people in fancy dress? Why don't they want them to look like police officers? Agatha Christie productions seem particularly prone to this - especially the Poirot TV series with David Suchet. Sorry. A bit off topic there, but I guess that's inevitable until something of relevance comes along.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Things are progressing Jason,

Albeit slowly.

One of the issues is the availability of those concerned. Some of the staff work part time hours and this, coupled with leave, illness and the recent Jubilee celebrations have bogged things down a little.

Also, on top of that, further avenues have opened up which are, at the moment, being explored.

Believe me, Rob and I are still on this.

Monty
              thanks Monty, didnt want to miss anything !

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
                thanks Monty, didnt want to miss anything !
                are we any further on this ?

Comment

• Yes Jason,

We are.

Monty
                  Monty

Comment

Hold your thumb knuckle at the tip of your nose, and where the tip of your thumb finishes, that's where the helmet peak should sit.
                    Ah, that's why British policemen tend to look like wallies.
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Yes Jason,

We are.

Monty
                      care to say how much further ?

Comment

• Jason

"Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Adam Wood

You won't, Trevor. These photographs, along with Neil and Rob's research, will appear in Ripperologist 127, August 2012.

Adam"

Monty
                        Monty

Comment

• Ripperologist has been running hot this year. I wouldn't envy the editors if they chose to bring back the Beadle award for 2012 and have only one winner.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hello Tom,

Thanks for the kind words - glad you're enjoying the mag over the past few issues.

We've been fortunate in that there have been a large number of exceptional articles submitted recently, and this is set to continue with our next issue - see the Rip thread for details.

The door is always open for something form yourself, you know that!

All the best
                            Adam

Comment

• Wallies

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                              Ah, that's why British policemen tend to look like wallies.
                              They look like wallies when they don't wear their helmets properly, not when they do. Monty's description of the correct way to wear the helmet is spot-on.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

• British policemen never look like wallies.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X