Views:	332
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	746567
    Click image for larger version

Name:	50601458837_f63193c360_c.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	746568

Then this long report on Jack Stevens fighting Tom Jefford from Sporting Life, February 11th 1888. This is definitely the same Jack Stevens who trained with Ching Ghook because of the reference to the fight with Bodger, which is the fight from the first article.
    Last edited by seanr; 11-14-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I take the description "Jack Stevens, who belongs to Spitalfields and was supported by some gentleman connected with the market" to mean "Jack Stevens, property of the Lords of Spitalfields".

Comment

Here's Black Jack again from Sporting Life, Friday 3rd August 1888. I note the use of the phrase "perhaps better known as Black Jack", suggesting he really is just starting to make a name for himself during 1888.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50600601268_1ae2bf7209.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	746559

Comment

I'm leaning more towards Jack Stevens who trained under Ching Ghook and Jack 'Black Jack' Stevens being the same person.

Is it possible the reference to being Jewish in the first article is a blunder by the reporter? - he refers to Jack Stevens as Jewish twice. As "of the Hebrew race" and "the Jew boy", not a turn of phrase I'd expect to see in a newspaper these days.

Comment

Originally posted by seanr View Post
            I take the description "Jack Stevens, who belongs to Spitalfields and was supported by some gentleman connected with the market" to mean "Jack Stevens, property of the Lords of Spitalfields".
            The Oylers, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by seanr View Post
              I'm leaning more towards Jack Stevens who trained under Ching Ghook and Jack 'Black Jack' Stevens being the same person.

Is it possible the reference to being Jewish in the first article is a blunder by the reporter? - he refers to Jack Stevens as Jewish twice. As "of the Hebrew race" and "the Jew boy", not a turn of phrase I'd expect to see in a newspaper these days.
              I’m reminded of the copper who Arthur Harding referred to as ‘Jew Boy Stevens’.

The age of your Jack Stevens is spot on for Black Jack. I think you’re right they were the same man. So how do we square the religious discrepancy?

His wife’s name was Collins and her brother apparently married Billy Maher’s sister, so perhaps the fact that he had an Irish catholic wife was the reason he was given a Catholic funeral. William Crossingham had one and he hadn’t been born a catholic.

Researching his family might solve the mystery.

Last edited by MrBarnett; 11-14-2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

The Oylers, perhaps?
                Sean, Are you familiar with the ‘Great Peter Street riot’? A gang from Spitalfields went to Westminster and attacked a rival group at the Oyler’s doss house in Great Peter Street.

Comment

Sean, Are you familiar with the ‘Great Peter Street riot’? A gang from Spitalfields went to Westminster and attacked a rival group at the Oyler’s doss house in Great Peter Street.

Comment

It wasn't familiar with this incident. Just read up on it now. Does something about Black Jack jump out as having a relation to the riot?

Comment

The Oylers were major operators at Spitalfields Market. Financially, they were more substantial than all the ‘Lords of Spitalfields’ we’re familiar with put together.

Comment

In Australia,the Mafia got it's foot in the door by standing over fruit growers in Queensland late 19th century.

Their bread and butter in Melbourne last century were the markets.

Until very recently,they were imposing a tax on each box of produce purchased by major supermarket chains.

Don't underestimate any possible additional taxes on costermonger's barrows in Spitalfields. A monopoly mainly held by one builder/supplier.
                        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Discussion of illegal boxing matches in the Annie Austin thread (https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...911#post790911) reminded me of this snippet about Black Jack Stevens from the South Wales Echo - Thursday 11 June 1891.

There's nothing to actually suggest or prove a connection to John McCarthy in any way, but I do wonder if Black Jack was still being 'supported by some gentleman connected with the market' in 1891.

This was a supposed chance encounter resulting in an impromptu fight, but it does sound somewhat organised with proper rounds being observed. His opponent Nunc Wallace is better known for losing to George Dixon, resulting in Dixon becoming the first black undisputed world champion in any sport and the first Canadian-born boxing champion. https://boxrec.com/wiki/index.php/Ge...._Nunc_Wallace
                          Nunc Wallace does appear to have been a colourful character who had several run-ins with the law.

This 'dispute' which arose on Ascot Heath was broken up by authorities (who showed up in 'strong force').

Maybe this was a genuine dispute which arose by chance. But it may have been an organised bout of some kind, perhaps with gambling associated with the event. If only it were possible to prove there was at least one book maker present on Ascot Heath that day...

Sport (Dublin) - Saturday 06 December 1890

Step forward book maker Edwin Wallace AKA Nunc Wallace.

Comment

Working...
                          X