Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post

Do you know what the church is ?
    St. John's Bethnal Green. It's on the junction of Roman Road and Cambridge Heath Road, right by the underground exit where the disaster happened.

JB

Comment

Yes st john's - as (ahem) stated on the flier.
      It is very atmospheric - shabby genteel in fact, a bit like Wiltons Music Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
        Yes st john's - as (ahem) stated on the flier.
        It is very atmospheric - shabby genteel in fact, a bit like Wiltons Music Hall.
        No need for that little 'ahem', Lechmere.

I just wanted people to reply and note the venue !

It is because I think that this might be something very interesting to go to and I'm peed off not to go myself...

What is the date again ?
        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

It´s on the 31:st of August, Ruby; on the anniversary of Nichols´demise, and on the exact same day of the week as back in 1888!

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            It´s on the 31:st of August, Ruby; on the anniversary of Nichols´demise, and on the exact same day of the week as back in 1888!
            Hi Fisherman

Will you be re-enacting the Cross/Lechmere journey to work?
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

For those unaware of what the Bethnal Green tube disaster was.......

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                Hi Fisherman

Will you be re-enacting the Cross/Lechmere journey to work?
                Stephen -I hope that I will not be giving too many surprises away in advance if I hint that Fish will be be re-enacting an altogether more static and mutilated personage...
                http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Sounds good, Ruby

I do believe I shall be there.

Comment

See you there, then, Stephen!

All the best,
                    Fisherman

Comment

Sounds very interesting, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to make it, might try to fit in a 'ripper tour' too.

Personally, I'd love to see an re-enactment of P.C. Mizen knocking up on 'Church-row', where ever that is! (maybe not at 4 in the morning)

So, with a bit of luck, I might get to meet some of you there.

Comment

Hi everyone.

Sure wish I didn't live 5,000 miles away from all the interesting events!

Maybe if I had my own dirigible I could float across the US & over the pond ... park my zeppelin hitched to an antenna on the roof of someone's flat, disembark and attend...

THE JACK THE RIPPER MYSTERY AND THE BETHNAL GREEN TUBE DISASTER

On the anniversary of the murder of Mary An 'Polly' Nichols...
                        A special charity event is taking place on the evening of 31st August 2012 on behalf of the Stairway to Heaven Memorial Trust.
                        This is a charity that is dedicated to creating a permanent memorial to the victims of the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster of 3rd March 1943, when 173 people lost their lives.
                        This was the biggest civilian loss of life in Britain during World War Two but it was hushed up at the time to preserve wartime morale.

The event will take place at St John's Church which is right next to Bethnal Green Underground Station.
                        It is a very historic building that is full of period atmosphere.

Tickets are selling at £10 in advance or £15 on the door.
                        It will start at 7 pm
                        There will be a bar and refreshments available.
                        All proceeds will go to the Stairway to Heaven Memorial Trust (apart from the bar proceeeds which go towards the Church restoration fund!)

There will be indepth talks about links between those involved in the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster and their family connections to different well known characters in the Jack the Ripper mystery... suspects no less.
                        There will be celebrity appearances and dramatised but accurate re-enactments.

This is a very worthwhile event and it wll be of great interest to everyone intersted in the East End and the Jack the Ripper mystery.

For tickets call 07722162168 or 01474702513
                        Hi Lechmere. The talks sound really interesting; good luck with this very worthy endeavor.

Best regards,
                        Archaic

Comment

I know one celeb will play the part of the Ripper and he went on a familiarisation tour of the Bucks Row area recently.
                          The evening will focus on two East End families with intimate Ripper connections, and both were also involved in the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster 55 years later.

A policeman called Richard Sharrock helped clear the bodies from the steps of Bethnal Green Tube Station for 8 hours. he got very ill as a result and was sent to the Police Convalescent Home in Hove - of all places.
                          He later became the desk Sergeant at Bethnal Green Police Station.

Comment

Ruby, er....in view of what's being commemorated.....um....you don't want too many people turning up.

Comment

Yes we do it's for charideee.
                              And there are no stairs

Comment

Photos?

THE JACK THE RIPPER MYSTERY AND THE BETHNAL GREEN TUBE DISASTER

On the anniversary of the murder of Mary An 'Polly' Nichols...
                                A special charity event is taking place on the evening of 31st August 2012 on behalf of the Stairway to Heaven Memorial Trust.
                                This is a charity that is dedicated to creating a permanent memorial to the victims of the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster of 3rd March 1943, when 173 people lost their lives.
                                This was the biggest civilian loss of life in Britain during World War Two but it was hushed up at the time to preserve wartime morale.

The event will take place at St John's Church which is right next to Bethnal Green Underground Station.
                                It is a very historic building that is full of period atmosphere.

Tickets are selling at £10 in advance or £15 on the door.
                                It will start at 7 pm
                                There will be a bar and refreshments available.
                                All proceeds will go to the Stairway to Heaven Memorial Trust (apart from the bar proceeeds which go towards the Church restoration fund!)

There will be indepth talks about links between those involved in the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster and their family connections to different well known characters in the Jack the Ripper mystery... suspects no less.
                                There will be celebrity appearances and dramatised but accurate re-enactments.

This is a very worthwhile event and it wll be of great interest to everyone intersted in the East End and the Jack the Ripper mystery.

For tickets call 07722162168 or 01474702513

More details to follow.
                                I shan't be able to make this unfortunately (at least it's looking unlikely). Will anyone be taking photos? If so, it would be great to see a few posted either here or on the East End Pictures etc thread - he hinted with no great subtlety.

Regards, Bridewell.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X