Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It didn't happen.

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
      It didn't happen.
      Boo!

That aside, what were the highlilghts? It looked like there was a fantastic lineup - what did those of you that went enjoy the most?

Comment

• Uhm, there were bits in each speech I'd say that I enjoyed. Rob House did some interesting bits on the Kosminski location - though someone should have given him a stiff drink or a Valium beforehand, he seemed nervous at first (what, do we bite or something??) - to be honest his was probably my favorite out of the bunch because it contained new information that I was actually interested in [others had information that was interesting but the topics weren't necessarily of personal interest if you know what I mean], John Bennett had some interesting anecdotes on tour guiding, Neil Storey had some interesting information in his speech though it was too loosely connected so that for half the speech I was going, uh WTH but it tied up in the end, Martin Fido was Martin Fido. I am gutted because I missed Laura Richards speech which I wanted to hear but I had booked my trips before I realized the conference ran all the way through Sunday later afternoon so I had to shove off unfortunately (bummer times ten). I know I am forgetting people who were also amazingly interesting but I am tired and still hungover.

But the most interesting part of the conversation was definitely the drunken bar chat AFTER all the speeches. That's the only reason to go.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

• What goes on at Conference stays at Conference.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• There are those who certainly hope so!

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

• Oh and I got to meet Nevill Swanson who was a very nice chap and who gave me his card even though I warned him I'd use it to flirt with him excessively!

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

You all missed a good time!
                Damn. Thought so.

I thought of you all and mentioned it often to my friends, how I would love to have gone.

Flooded? Sounds wonderful and makes for a cozy conference.

Bring on the stories! Would love to have heard the Rob House stuff. Did anybody shave their legs and dance?

Comment

Oh and I got to meet Nevill Swanson who was a very nice chap and who gave me his card even though I warned him I'd use it to flirt with him excessively!
                  I'm sure his eyes lit up at the thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beowulf View Post

Bring on the stories! Would love to have heard the Rob House stuff. Did anybody shave their legs and dance?
                    Well I certainly danced but I didn't shave my legs. I grew them out especially hairy just for the occasion.

Originally posted by AdamNeilWood

I'm sure his eyes lit up at the thought.
                    He's lovely. I plan to write him when I get back to the States.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

• Thanks everyone for a great time

It's been a while since I mixed with people who can drink 'til 7am

All the talks were excellent and informative - the general consensus being that something new was learned from each talk

Rob produced some compelling evidence for Kosminski at least being involved in the Stride murder (IMO) and some real surprise photos

I think most would agree that the biggest surprise was for the Diary to turn up at the conference and be available for viewing

The two Diary talks were well received I think

For those with an interest in the virtual Miller's Court - I have plans to completely rebuild it in a more advanced game engine and have started already -The textures I'm using are approximately a million times better than the one seen at the 2012 conference.

I think the best occasion for it to be shown in it's entirety would be November 9th 2013 - the 125th anniverary of Kelly's demise

I'll have a word with my colleague on the project and try to get that sorted out

See you next year!

Comment

• That's great! I had to leave before I got a chance to see it, so glad it'll be there next year and I'll have another chance.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

• Oh fantastic

I thought your visit was a one off

It would be great to see you again as meeting you was certainly a highlight for me

Sorry we didn't get a chance to have a real chat

I just discovered that the Millers Court I have already built transfers directly in it's entirety to the new game engine, which has saved me months of work

I just have to re-texture everything

I'll try and post some pics of the new style textures shortly so you can see how good they are compared to the existing ones

Comment

• You can see, especially with the orange box, that the textures are of photographic quality

I might even visit the local Victorian town (Blists Hill, Ironbridge) to get some authentic bricks a la Jake Lukkanen as the game works with the jpeg/jpg format

Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	664315

Name:	windows.jpg
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	664316

Name:	wood.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	664317

Name:	roof.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	664318

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                              [ATTACH]12996[/ATTACH]

2012 JACK THE RIPPER CONFERENCE ANNOUNCMENT:

It gives me great pleasure to announce dates for the 2012 Jack the Ripper Conference in York.

The Conference will take place on Saturday 29th September and Sunday 30th September 2012.

As you will already know, this falls exactly on the dates of the Rippers DOUBLE EVENT 1888.

In keeping with this, the tag line for the conference will be “THE DOUBLE EVENT.”

We already have the hotel venue and evening event booked for the stated weekend.

We have a great team behind us working everyday behind the scenes on this event and we aim to make this a great weekend for all attending.

Further details, speakers and bookings will be available in the coming weeks.

I would like to thank the conference organisers :

Richard Cobb (Lead Organiser)

Andrew Firth (Graphics and Design)

Jenni and Neal Shelden (Conference Pack)

Adam Wood (Advisor)

Bethany & Renee Therriault (Conference Secretaries and Logistics)

So, here’s to a great conference in one of the most historic cities I have ever visited.

Regards

Colin Cobb (Conference Organiser)

THE JACK THE RIPPER CONFERENCE YORK 2012

THE DOUBLE EVENT

29th and 30th September 2012
                              Is there a similar large conference in Australia?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                                You can see, especially with the orange box, that the textures are of photographic quality

I might even visit the local Victorian town (Blists Hill, Ironbridge) to get some authentic bricks a la Jake Lukkanen as the game works with the jpeg/jpg format
                                Those are indeed some killer graphics. I am not yet 100 percent convinced of making the 2013 though I will try my best. Can't wait to see what's in store, though I think I need to start practicing my long nights of drunken revelry if I have any hopes of keeping up!!

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Working...
                                X