No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper Conference 2012 in York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news for me if not necessarily for y'all. Because I work at a law university, I have been given permission to go to the York conference and then to prepare some sort of presentation here about it. I'll probably concentrate on 19th century police procedure as the murders will be of no interest to anyone. So, I should be attending.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
      Good news for me if not necessarily for y'all. Because I work at a law university, I have been given permission to go to the York conference and then to prepare some sort of presentation here about it. I'll probably concentrate on 19th century police procedure as the murders will be of no interest to anyone. So, I should be attending.

Mike
      This is quite fortuitous for you Mike.

I will be giving a demostration of my Bulls eye Police Lamp at the conference, on the Saturday evening just prior to the Bankquet.

Also, if you wish to discuss 19th Police procedure, gimme a shout. Its a topic which never bores me.

Cheers
      Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Thanks for the offer. I'm actually going to the UK next week for about a month, but will be concentrating on Orkney, the Shetlands and Wales pretty much. But I might visit York as well as it's kind of on the way to Aberdeen where I catch the ferry.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

• Hi Guys, The closing date for the Official Jack the Ripper conference in York 2012 will be the 31st August. (That should be an easy date to remember!)

We only have 5 spaces left so it's now first come, first served.

All entries after 31st will not be accepted. (Sorry for sounding like a game show competition)

Good luck
          Thanks

Ricky Cobb

Comment

• Just been on a stag weekend in York and stayed at Travelodge Mickelgate. Good value for money and right opposite an 80's bar called The Reflex. Found out that The Three Legged Mare aka The Wonky Donkey no longer sells a pint of Wonky Donkey. Never mind-head for The Stone Roses bar down near the river. Looking forward to meeting up with everyone later this month

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
              This is quite fortuitous for you Mike.

I will be giving a demostration of my Bulls eye Police Lamp at the conference, on the Saturday evening just prior to the Bankquet.

Also, if you wish to discuss 19th Police procedure, gimme a shout. Its a topic which never bores me.

Cheers
              Monty
              Oh, how I wish I could go to this conference. To hear all these great authors and historians on the subject and to see York and a bit of England, even for a short harried week, but we just couldn't do it. I do hope you all have a wonderful time, I will be thinking of it when it happens and hope there will be any pictures posted, stories shared.

Monty,

Do you own an actual Bull's eye Police Lamp from the 1800s? Wow! if you do, I would just love to have one of those.

I did read somewhere months ago that they did not give off enough light, from someone who was critical of police procedures and techniques during JTR's time, claiming they never could've seen what they needed to see, that the light was kind of a dark green glow or something. They made them seem all but useless, and I found that hard to believe.

Is that true?

Comment

• Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                I did read somewhere months ago that they did not give off enough light, from someone who was critical of police procedures and techniques during JTR's time, claiming they never could've seen what they needed to see, that the light was kind of a dark green glow or something. They made them seem all but useless, and I found that hard to believe.

Is that true?
                Monty - you should do a You tube video if you haven't already!

But I've seen Monty's lantern and it's a miracle they could see anything.
                Managing Editor
                Casebook Wiki

Comment

• Yes Beowulf,

I have a Bulls Eye lantern.

Robert,

Video doesn't do it justice so I've never bothered.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    Yes Beowulf,

I have a Bulls Eye lantern.

Monty
                    Victoria England was in the dark in more ways than one. Difficult to imagine the hardships of that life AND policework.

Comment

• Ah going on holiday to Turkey so will miss this.

Will the talks be eventually put online? Raging that I will miss Laura Richards - always interested in profiling.

Comment

• Can someone define what this means "smart clothing is required". I am going to be attending a thing while in England and that is the defined dress code. I have looked online, but cannot seem to come to a conclusion. Is it what you would wear to a wedding? An evening party? A business lunch? I have seen answers for all three, and I wear different dress to each!!

Smart clothing? Does it wash, dry and fold itself, in which case, point me to that shop!

P.S it should also be pointed out when I try to google smart clothing, I get sent to websites that feature the latest in clothing with computer and technology built in. There really needs to be another term!
                        Last edited by Ally; 09-04-2012, 05:12 PM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• The Schedule for the 2012 Jack the Ripper Conference in York

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Conference Schedule copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	664227

All the best
                          Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
                            Can someone define what this means "smart clothing is required". I am going to be attending a thing while in England and that is the defined dress code.
                            Just don't forget to shave your legs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                              [ATTACH]14479[/ATTACH]

All the best
                              Andrew
                              any chance of a little podcasting?

Comment

• If we have to shave our legs, I'm not going.

Comment

Working...
                                X