No announcement yet.

2008 Ripper Conference, Knoxville, TN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just wanted to say thanks to Kelly and Dan for a great conference. I also wanted to put up a link to the hotel in case anyone wanted to make any comments to them. I worked as a hotel Asst GM for 7 years and I always liked feedback (positive or negative).
    I think the staff was terrific. Jody was a great room captain. She had a great work ethic and a nice personality. James did the bars and helped Jody in the rooms on occasion. Claude from the front desk (bald guy from New Orleans) was as nice as they come. He was also very informative on what to do and where to go in Knoxville. Even Angela who was the housekeeper for my room all weekend was very nice. She left me a handwritten note asking me if I needed anything for my stay (razor, shave cream, toothpaste, etc..) which was nice since I only had a carry-on and I could not bring a razor or toothpaste on the plane. She saved me from going to the Walgreen's down the street and it did not cost me a thing.
    I travel about 15-20 times a year and I must say the staff at the Four Points Sheraton Knoxville were some of the best I EVER encountered.

Book Directly & Save at any of our 8000+ Marriott Bonvoy Hotels. Choose from Luxury Hotels, Resorts, Extended Stay Hotels, Pet-Friendly Hotels & More.
    Last edited by jayerkey; 10-16-2008, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• It was me who said 'empathy' to the guy on the desk. I say it to everyone when they ask me why I'm interested in it, because I've been asked it so many times and the answer is so abstract, I feel you answer a stupid question with a stupid answer. I think I did a Hannibal Lectar noise after I said it too, and he laughed, so he knew I was joking.

In case anyone should misunderstand Martin, he clearly said the famous quote about the identity of JTR was Don Rumbelow's and wasn't trying to pass it off as his own as this pathetic article would make out.

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• I read that article earlier today, and maybe the guy thought he was getting into the spirit of the thing, but I found it really condescending and ignorant.

Here's the online version:

Oops, sorry, I missed Maurice's post.
        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
          In case anyone should misunderstand Martin, he clearly said the famous quote about the identity of JTR was Don Rumbelow's and wasn't trying to pass it off as his own as this pathetic article would make out.

PHILIP
          Ah, I figured the writer was misidentifying Don as Martin.

Six of one...
          “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• Originally posted by Magpie View Post
            I read that article earlier today, and maybe the guy thought he was getting into the spirit of the thing, but I found it really condescending and ignorant.
            Yep. That guy only spent a short time with us, though. He only even listened to part of Martin's talk. I think he tried to force context on the article because he didn't have a firm hold on what was really going on.

It's also odd that he wrote it so much from his perspective --as if it was supposed to be a big show for HIS entertainment -- rather than attempting to find out why WE were so rapt.

I'm not bummed, though. He just missed the point. The Knoxville Voice article is quite nice, but that writer bothered to spend time with us, talk to lots of people, see more than one talk in its entirety, etc.

What a difference some research can make!

Comment

• I liked the part about the knives. Maybe next time we can each bring one so when someone from outside comes in we can flash them for a proper effect.
              The greatest pleasure in life is doing something someone says you can't.

Comment

• Kelly was right, the Knoxville Voice article was much, much better. It was a two page spread with photos:

And, again, that's just to show the layout, the text should be too small to read here. The photos on the left are items from the book room and the reporter's conference name tag used as a byline. The photos on the right are the Ripper Notes table, the Inklings Press table, and then me pointing to one of the never before seen photos that debuted at the conference.

This article is also online:

I can't seem to get that link to work right now, but it was working yesterday. You can try it later and see if the site's back online. Also keep in mind that it's in three pieces on the site, so look for the link at the bottom to get to the next page and then again to see all of it.

Dan Norder
                Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

• Any danger of any Conv pics yet Kelly/Dan??? The article was ....interesting...but we want to see who was there and what they were up to!!!!!!- I hear you had a cam prob- always carry two I say after mine died in Rome- after some shenanigans- I bought another one OK I lost a whole MG of pics but hey! I was there and have what passes for a memory!!!!!!

Suz x
                  Last edited by Suzi; 10-18-2008, 12:20 AM.
                  'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Patti View Post
                    I liked the part about the knives. Maybe next time we can each bring one so when someone from outside comes in we can flash them for a proper effect.
                    The knife or the person?

c.d.

Comment

• Suzi, I have loads of photos (including ones with you-know-what/who) but I won't have any time to put them up for at least a week. I'm off to Iceland again in the morning.

PHILIP

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                        I'm off to Iceland again in the morning.
                        For God's sake, Phil, don't take too much money with you or you'll never be allowed back out!
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• There's the irony, Goodman Flynn!

I have hundreds of pounds worth of Icelandic Kronar, much of it in coins, in my house. Everyone's been telling me what a good time it is to be going to Iceland with the exchange rate so favourable for tourists - but I'm in the same boat as the locals, having had all this money from before the crash. When I was last there in June, it was 163 ISK to £1. It's 192 as of last night, and when I first went in 2006 it was something like 125.

Erm... on thread... Knoxville was good, wasn't it?

Dan - no link to even the Knoxville Voice website is working at the moment. Would you be able to possibly send me over a big jpeg of the article so I can read it?

PHILIP
                          Last edited by George Hutchinson; 10-18-2008, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• Mr D says 'Don't forget my fish fingers!' (!)
                            Have a great time!!! and don't forget the post card!!!

Suz x
                            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Suzi --you can stop PMing me now! You might be disappointed at the lack of kitties and shenanigans, but I think Philip caught a few you'll enjoy seeing when he posts them later.

I'll start with my favorite image from the whole weekend, because this is what it's all about.

Philip Hutchinson and Martin Fido: Ripperologists at work.

Doesn't Philip look tickled to death in #2?

More to follow (I'm not very good at this).
                              Last edited by Kelly; 10-20-2008, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• more pics

Comment

Working...
                                X