Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    RipperCon 2018 in Baltimore is on track to happen two weeks from today in Baltimore, Maryland.

Don't miss out on the only North American conference on the Whitechapel Murders in the landmark 130th year of the crimes. Spaces still available but there are only 50 places so book now. Go to www.RipperCon.com for complete details. If you miss this edition of RipperCon the next is expected to be in 2020 in Buffalo, New York!

The talks will be held at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) in the College's 90-year-old Italianate Main Building in Room 110 off Statuary Hall beginning at 9:00 am on Saturday, April 7, with a walking and driving tour and a reception the previous afternoon and evening (i.e., Friday). See website.

Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA), Main Building, Mount Royal Avenue, Baltimore - Venue for the daytime talks at RipperCon 2018

Statuary Hall in the Main Building at MICA. Talks are scheduled for Room 110 in the left hand corner.

Our flagship hotel, the Lord Baltimore, in downtown Baltimore is awaiting your stay. That's from whence our tours will depart Friday and Monday, where the Friday reception will be held and the Saturday evening dinner and program.

According to our deal with the hotel, the rooms at the Lord Baltimore are $159.00 per night. Here is the information on how to book —

Room reservations will be made by attendees on an individual basis. Individuals should contact the Toll Free Reservations at 855.539.1928. In order to qualify for the Group Room Rate, potential attendees were being asked earlier this month to make their reservations by Wednesday, March 7, which was modified to March 16, I can see if the management will still honor that arrangement. I will be very pleased to ask them for you.

In any case, our arrangement with the hotel was that attendees must ask for the group id 1804RIPPER or RipperCon rate when making their reservation. Any requests for special room arrangements must be made at the time of this reservation.

All reservations must be guaranteed by one night’s deposit, a major credit card or by the Group Master Account. In addition, at the time of check-in each guest will be required to present a valid credit card for any incidental charges they may incur during their stay. You can may also go to the hotel website http://www.lordbaltimorehotel.com/). Click on reservations and enter the group ID 1804RIPPER.

I look forward to seeing many of you in Baltimore in a fortnight's time (or a FORTNIT's TIME as they say over here in the US of A. Are you listening Jackie Murphy????

*That's okay, we Statesiders are always happy to welcome Furriners despite what you might hear from that man who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!

Best regards

Chris

Schedule below

SATURDAY, April 7, MICA, Room 110

8:00 am - registration in Room 110, music provided by Tom Reyes starting 8:00 am, coffee, tea, and refreshments

9:00 am - welcome by the Dean of MICA and by M/C Jackie Murphy

9:10 am - Christopher T. George, “The Legend of Jack the Ripper”

10:00 am - Jackie Murphy, “Jack the Ripper's London”

11:00 am - Mikita Brottman, “A Morbid Curiosity: Murder in the Old Belvedere Hotel, Baltimore, 2006”

ca 12 noon to 1:00 pm - Lunch and Chesapeake Collectibles-style trivia and memorabilia hour with invited guests talking about and displaying items in their collections; will not include Francis Tumblety's watch let alone the alleged Maybrick watch... but we will briefly discuss the "Ripper" letter expected to be sold at auction in Folkestone, England, later in April.

1:00 pm - Bernard Beaulé, “Tumblety: Historical and Criminal Evidence Issues”

2:00 pm - Carla Anderton, “There’s Something About Mary: Whitechapel’s Darkest Night, November 9, 1888

3:00 pm - Ripper Fiction Panel moderated by Janis Wilson, with Carla Anderton, Bernard Beaulé, Matt Leyshon, and possibly K. W. Taylor, Sam Gafford, and Kevin Carmichael, either via Skype, conference call, or in person

4:00 pm - Charles Tumosa, “A Policeman’s Lot Is Not a Happy One” - How civilian conflicts with the police alter crime suppression and investigation.

5:00 pm, MICA talks end for day

7:00 pm to 10:00 pm, dinner at the Lord Baltimore Hotel folowed by two-hour program with Tom DiVenti and another speaker or performer

SUNDAY, April 8, MICA, Room 110

9:00 am - Brian W. Schoeneman - “Sir Charles Warren, the Metropolitan Police, and the Whitechapel Murders”

10:00 am - Janis Wilson - “Could Sherlock Holmes Have Solved the Ripper Case?”

11:00 pm - Chris Jones - “The Maybricks of Liverpool: More George & Ringo than Lennon & McCartney?”

ca 12 noon to 1:00 pm - Lunch at MICA featuring an appearance by President James Madison, our shortest president! The guy who let those bladdy Brits burn the White House!

1:00 pm - Amy Branam Armiento - “‘How calmly I can tell you the whole story’: Murder in Edgar Allan Poe’s Fiction”

2:00 pm - Christopher T. George - “The Devil in Mr Deeming”

3:00 pm - David Sterritt - “Red Riding, the Yorkshire Ripper on Film”

4:00 pm - Casey Smith - “William Joseph Ibbett (1858-1934): Poet, Printer, Piquerist, Ripper Suspect?”

5:00 pm - General Discussion - “Who Was Jack the Ripper - Will We Ever Know?”... and Trivia Competition/Live Auction (fundraiser benefit for this series of Ripper-True Crime conferences as well as Chris George's annual War of 1812 symposium series. Contact CTG if interested in his War of 1812 events).

6:00 pm - conference ends. Thanks in advance for coming and supporting this conference series which is meant to educate and illuminate the public as well as those who think they already know about the case. They do not, Rippermates!

Printed program is being assembled at this time and will include Friday free walking and/or driving tour of downtown Baltimore led by yours truly (2:00 to 5:00 pm pm starting from the Lord Baltimore Hotel), Friday evening (7:00 pm to 9:00 pm) reception at the hotel, 7:00 pm Saturday dinner at hotel and Monday bus tour of Baltimore.

NOTE! URGENT! Speakers and guests, I need to know a head count for the Friday and Monday tours, the Friday reception 8:00 pm and dinner Saturday night 7:00 pm. Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Chris

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    RipperCon 2018 in Baltimore is on track to happen a month from now in Baltimore. Don't miss out on the only North American conference on the Whitechapel Murders in the landmark 130th year of the crimes. Spaces still available but there are only 50 places so book now. Go to www.RipperCon.com for complete details.

The talks will be held at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) in the College's 90-year-old Italianate Main Building in Room 110 off Statuary Hall.

Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA), Main Building, Mount Royal Avenue, Baltimore - Venue for the daytime talks at RipperCon 2018

Statuary Hall in the Main Building at MICA. Talks are scheduled for Room 110 in the left hand corner.

Note that we are two days away for the deadline to book at our flagship hotel, the Lord Baltimore in downtown Baltimore.

The rooms at the Lord Baltimore are $159.00 per night. Here is the information on how to book —

Room reservations will be made by attendees on an individual basis. Individuals should contact the Toll Free Reservations at 855.539.1928. In order to qualify for the Group Room Rate, attendees must make their reservations by Wednesday, March 7, and attendees must ask for the group id 1804RIPPER or RipperCon rate when making their reservation. Any requests for special room arrangements must be made at the time of this reservation. All reservations must be guaranteed by one night’s deposit, a major credit card or by the Group Master Account. In addition, at the time of check-in each guest will be required to present a valid credit card for any incidental charges they may incur during their stay. You can may also go to the hotel website http://www.lordbaltimorehotel.com/). Click on reservations and enter the group ID 1804RIPPER.

I look forward to seeing many of you in Baltimore a month from now!

Best regards

Chris

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    I wouldn't mind some of your Australian sunshine, Gut, it is snowing here today. And was 69 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday!
    But we’ve had day after day of 100f plus. Yesterday was the coolest day this month (and last I think) at 95.

Today we are finally getting some rain and looks a bit cooler.

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Sorry to hear.

Wouldn’t mind a bit of that cold here just at the moment though.
    I wouldn't mind some of your Australian sunshine, Gut, it is snowing here today. And was 69 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday!

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Snow here in Baltimore on Saturday evening, GUT. I had previously called off the fundraiser and told Mike Hawley not to come, when I realized we had invited guests and no paying guests.
    Sorry to hear.

Wouldn’t mind a bit of that cold here just at the moment though.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    Snow here in Baltimore on Saturday evening, GUT. I had previously called off the fundraiser and told Mike Hawley not to come, when I realized we had invited guests and no paying guests.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    How did the talk go Saturday?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    Spring is coming to Baltimore along with RipperCon 2018, Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference. Space is still available but there are only fifty places!!!

Book your place now for RipperCon in Baltimore in April. Don't miss out on two days of talks and two days of tours, Friday, April 6 through Monday, April 9.

Complete details at www.RipperCon.com. This is the only North American #JacktheRipper-#True Crime conference in the 130th Anniversary Year of the Whitechapel Murders.

Washington Monument, Mount Vernon, Baltimore by Christopher T. George, April 2003.
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 02-18-2018, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied

Time Is Growing Short! Just Two Weeks Left to Register for RipperCon 2018 in Baltimore! Only Fifty Places Available!!!

Book your place now for RipperCon in Baltimore in April. Don't miss out on two days of talks and two days of tours, Friday, April 6 through Monday, April 9. Complete details at www.RipperCon.com. This is the only North American #JacktheRipper-#True Crime conference in the 130th Anniversary Year of the Whitechapel Murders.

Note also our upcoming very special Valentine's Day "To Die For" Evening at the Duchess of Windsor Museum, 206 E. Biddle Street, Baltimore, Saturday, February 17, 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm, featuring Mike Hawley talking about Dr. Tumblety's time in the City of Baltimore and signing copies of his books!

To hear Mike Hawley's talk at RipperCon 2016 go here. Mike's fine slide show presentation that accompanied his talk can be downloaded here. Thanks to Jonathan Menges and RipperCast.

Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 01-31-2018, 03:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    I have been away awhile Chris, so I only looked through this fascinating thread on your next Baltimore Conference.

1) Kit Marlowe was supposedly killed in a brawl with several men after eating and drinking at a tavern. His killer, one Ingram Friser or Frizer or Frazer, supposedly stabbed him to death by a knife thrust into his skull through his eye. Of course, if he did not die in this brawl in 1594 (the last major British dramatist to die - supposedly in his case - by violence until Joe Orton in the 1960s) then Kit, under the false name of "Will Shakespeare" may have died in April 1616. However, as there were serious allegations spreading about Kit in 1594 regarding atheistic beliefs (then unlawful), the "brawl" either was staged to allow him to vanish while his place was taken by some unfortunate substitute, or it was more of a political assassination by agents (such as Frizer) of Sir Francis Walsingham (Marlowe's protector and friend - who might be compromised by the connection to Marlowe).

2) The main characters in "Tin Men" were aluminum siding salesmen.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff

Excellent work. Absolutely correct on both counts. I will be pleased to send you the conspiracy booklets and the VCR tape if you send me your snail mail address by private message.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 01-31-2018, 02:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    I have been away awhile Chris, so I only looked through this fascinating thread on your next Baltimore Conference.

1) Kit Marlowe was supposedly killed in a brawl with several men after eating and drinking at a tavern. His killer, one Ingram Friser or Frizer or Frazer, supposedly stabbed him to death by a knife thrust into his skull through his eye. Of course, if he did not die in this brawl in 1594 (the last major British dramatist to die - supposedly in his case - by violence until Joe Orton in the 1960s) then Kit, under the false name of "Will Shakespeare" may have died in April 1616. However, as there were serious allegations spreading about Kit in 1594 regarding atheistic beliefs (then unlawful), the "brawl" either was staged to allow him to vanish while his place was taken by some unfortunate substitute, or it was more of a political assassination by agents (such as Frizer) of Sir Francis Walsingham (Marlowe's protector and friend - who might be compromised by the connection to Marlowe).

2) The main characters in "Tin Men" were aluminum siding salesmen.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    I already won, I donated it back as a gift for someone at Rippercon as postage would be crazy. Be even worse on a VCR to Aus I suspect. But yep got some 78s just currently nothing to play them on.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    You really do need to make these harder Chris.

VCR, now there’s a blast from the past.
    Answer the question then, mate. I think you qualify, don't you? As I recall, you haven't won swag from RipperCon, isn't that right? Or maybe you don't have a VCR or any 78 rpm discs....

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    You really do need to make these harder Chris.

VCR, now there’s a blast from the past.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    Hi everyone

The answer to the last question, the link between playwright Joe Orton and the Elephant Man, is that they were both born in Leicester, and I have someone with the correct answer elsewhere!

Just over two weeks left to sign up for RipperCon 2018 #JacktheRipper - #TrueCrime conference coming up in Baltimore, April 7-8 at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA)! Check out the details at www.RipperCon.com -- deadline for registration is Wednesday, February 14 (RipperCon is for lovers!).

Meanwhile the RipperCon Swagerama giveaway continues.

"Tin Men" was a hit comedy movie set right here in #Baltimore and directed by an accomplished local director, Barry Levinson. The flick stars Richard Dreyfuss, Danny DeVito and Barbara Hershey. The "Tin Men" of the title -- the characters played by Dreyfuss and DeVito -- are salesmen. But what precisely do they sell?

The first to answer correctly wins a copy of the VCR tape of "Tin Men." Only persons who still have VCR's can answer and you are not allowed to win if you have "rippered us off" for RipperCon swag before. Good luck!!!!

Cheers

Chris

Leave a comment:

Working...
X