X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alex
    replied
    Evening Folks

Despite my post yesterday, on reflection, I feel certain that everyone has had more than enough of this foolishness. I have already said all I need to say about this dispute. Therefore, in the unlikely event that anyone is even remotely interested they can review the exchanges between Bob and I on this forum and draw their own conclusions.

Bob, if you really want me to clarify the point again for you, please feel free to email me.

Many thanks to Dan, Don, Robert, Glenn and Wolf for the welcome back.

Best wishes
    alex chisholm

Leave a comment:

• Wolf Vanderlinden
    replied
    I don't post very often anymore but I thought I would add my voice and say good to see you back, Alex. You've been missed.

Wolf.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hinton
    replied
    Set the record straight

Originally posted by alex View Post
    Hi Bob

If that is not the case and I receive a similar response to your last then, I’m afraid, I will have no option but to point out once more in detail how you continue to, either intentionally or otherwise, misinterpreted my words. I’m sure this will be much to the chagrin of all the good people who frequent this forum but, I fear, it might be the only way to set the record straight.

Best wishes
    alex chisholm
    Please do so!

However since you have already admitted that the description of Barnardo is simply the way you see him I cannot see how the record can get much straighter. It is this that I object to. The way you have taken it upon yourself to give someone a label without clarifying why you think the label is deserved.

What exactly needs to be straightened?
    Last edited by Bob Hinton; 07-09-2008, 01:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Lauritz Andersson
    replied
    Indeed, welcome back, Alex.

All the best

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hey, welcome back Alex.

"In any case, Alex Chisholm is "the goods" (despite his long hiatus)"

When is the operation?

Leave a comment:

• alex
    replied
    Hi Bob

I’m sure you must realise that I cannot let your last post to me and your quip to “posters” go unchallenged. However, we are arguing here over the very precise meaning of one particular sentence and I’m sure the other frequenters of this forum are as weary of our rants as I am.

I have explained the point clearly on several occasions on this forum and have no wish to take up further space with more repetition. So I respectfully suggest that you dispassionately and rigorously reread my posts and your responses, where I fervently hope that you, as a published author and respected Ripperologist, will understand your error.

If that is not the case and I receive a similar response to your last then, I’m afraid, I will have no option but to point out once more in detail how you continue to, either intentionally or otherwise, misinterpreted my words. I’m sure this will be much to the chagrin of all the good people who frequent this forum but, I fear, it might be the only way to set the record straight.

Best wishes
    alex chisholm

Leave a comment:

• Suzi
    replied
    Good points Bob!....and yes...a world without Leslie Thomas would undoubtedly be a much poorer place!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hinton
    replied
    Transportation

Dear Suzi,

I understand what you are saying about the transportation system and why such a method should bring such feelings to the front. However it is very difficult for us today to understand fully the conditions that those people were living in. It wasn’t just a matter of being poor; it was living in a system devoid of any hope at all.

Today we still do this. Celebrities travel to foreign countries and adopt babies to take them out of the awful mess they find themselves in. Pictures of starving, ragged children are flashed on our TV screens with the intention of tugging at our heartstrings to donate money to alleviate their suffering. Imagine if instead of TV pictures you were actually there in person. Could you honestly stop yourself from picking one up and wanting to take it away to give it a better life?

Don’t forget with the mortality rate amongst children Barnardo was faced not with a choice of life in Canada or a poverty-stricken life, but the chance of a good life in Canada and no life at all.

We may look back on Barnardo and curse him for what he did, but be honest when we hear of parents torturing their children to death, starving them, leaving them alone when they go on holiday don’t many of us yell out in anger “Those parents are not fit to have children – they should be taken away from them”.

Well that’s what Barnardo did.

PS For one example at least why we should be grateful to Barnardo. Without him there might not have been Leslie Thomas!

Leave a comment:

• anna
    replied
    Hi Dan,
    Thanks for the explanation...it was very much appreciated.
    Anna.

Leave a comment:

• Suzi
    replied
    Personally I have no interest in/or sympathy with Dr B !- I find this Canadian transportation thing totally despicable to be honest! (and even beyond that!!! -At least if you stole a loaf of bread you knew what was coming your way...but to be living in a poor house with OK- dubious parentage....was that a crime? The Child Catcher may be around any second!!!!....seriously worrying...especially when overlaid with Education and potential religion!!!

Anyway if Alex has sorted out his name thing that's OK and as long as he's not 'The Profit' (Wonder what's happening with that wondrous BOOK )-

That's OK in my mind....

As I said earlier- Has anyone got anything useful/relevant to say about the Barnardo person??

Suz x

Leave a comment:

• Dan Norder
    replied
    Hey Alex,

Thought it was probably you, based upon one of the comments you made. Welcome back to the boards.

Anna,

Back during one of the old incarnations of this message board the posts used to display the "full name" field with the username underneath so that it'd be, for example, Dan Norder (dnorder) at the top of every post. When we switched from the old software to the vBulletin software (which was a while ago) the only name at the top is the username, so people who wanted a full name up there made their username be their full name. Looks like Alex was thinking it still went the old way.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hinton
    replied
    Whats in a name?

Dear Ally,

Yes I take your point about the forcible transportation of children to Canada. However to put this in to some sort of context I believe there was a 98% success rate in this policy. Don't forget what Barnardo was doing may seem reprehensible to us today but it was a policy that was followed by our own Government until well after 1945 I believe. In other words Barnardo was not acting any differently than the authorities. Now I'm not saying that makes it right, what I am saying is that it makes it understandable.

If for example others were treating these children in an entirely different fashion, and Barnardo alone was transporting them to Canada then you would have cause to question his methods.

What I object is the way in which it seems to be all right to stick slanderous labels on anyone without offering a shred of proof that what you are saying is correct.

Where does it end? Will we next have posters calling each other drug takers, murderers, rapists etc and when challenged only to have their defence consist solely of saying, " Oh well that's only my label for you, I'm not saying it's true.

All the best.

Leave a comment:

• Ally
    replied
    Bob,

Alex has modified his statement to say it is his opinion. The difference between your examples is that the ones he used "arrogant, mean-spiriited" and are subject to opinion, meaning that it could very well be factual for one person and not factual for another. Yours however include actions, calling someone a "slanderer" relies on a proven action on their part which can either be confirmed or denied.

From Barnado's own words: "I have rescued (or if abducted if you will) little boys and girls from the custody of parents and guardians who were, to my knowledge, leading infamous and immoral lives"

Ah I see. So if your life wasn't what Barnardo thought it ought to be, he considered himself judge and jury enough to kidnap your child and ship it off to Canada.

Sounds mean-spirited, obnoxious and arrogant to me. I'll throw in ego-maniacal with a god complex also. Oh and a criminal and child abuser as well.
    Last edited by Ally; 07-07-2008, 03:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• anna
    replied
    Hi Alex,
    Just wondering about the fact that when you type into a post your user name comes up at the top,so I don't understand how you cannot have realised that your posts weren't under your full name...
    Anyway,it's all been clarified now,so we all know you have nothing to do with the Phrophet.
    Anna.

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    Chris,

We have a saying round our way.

Cheeky fooker !

Monty

Leave a comment:

Working...
X