Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best sighting of the Ripper AFTER a murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
    Spicer's suspect may have been Dr. James Gloster according to Martin Roberts.
    Hmmm. How is that possible? He was in trial for murder (of which he was acquitted) according to the Lancet on 9/29/1888. Would have been a very busy guy!!

Comment

Here is a link to the 1931 interview with Spicer;

I read something about it earlier but can't find it now, but I think someone identified the doctor as a Dr Merchant, but this was thought to be an alias, perhaps for a Dr Chapman who died in December 1888.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

I read something about it earlier but can't find it now, but I think someone identified the doctor as a Dr Merchant, but this was thought to be an alias, perhaps for a Dr Chapman who died in December 1888.
        A quick Google search brought this up:
        Chapman, Dr. Frederick Richard

Chapman was given the pseudonym of Dr. Merchant by the theorist B. G. and was put forward as the Ripper because it has been suggested first that the Ripper must have been a doctor and second that the murders must have stopped because the killer died. Dr. Chapman was the only medical practitioner in the area who died after the murder of Mary Jane Kelly. There is nothing else to connect him with the murders.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

It was here on Casebook.

This might be of interest too.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Thanks Jon, and Harry D, I should have looked on this site first. The info I found earlier mentioned an article by Nick Warren (I think) saying Dr Chapman wasn't the ripper (as he would have been too ill at the time, according to his cause of death). Which seems to be confirmed by Spicer saying he saw the doctor several times afterwards (years later according to the second article), which he couldn't have done if the doc died only two months after the incident.

Comment

[QUOTE=Joshua Rogan;366551]Here is a link to the 1931 interview with Spicer;

I read something about it earlier but can't find it now, but I think someone identified the doctor as a Dr Merchant, but this was thought to be an alias, perhaps for a Dr Chapman who died in December 1888.[/QUOTE/]

Yes. I believe his name was Chapman but I'll check my notes tomorrow.
              Last edited by SuspectZero; 01-02-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

mine doesn't even qualify as a after, but the bag carrying man seen twice by Sarah Lewis tickles my curiosity. I wouldn't bet any money on that, though.
                Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                  .... but the bag carrying man seen twice by Sarah Lewis tickles my curiosity. I wouldn't bet any money on that, though.
                  I would.
                  If any single character in this drama was truly the murderer. If the killer has been hiding in plain sight all the time, this is him.
                  I actually would put money on it.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I believe the doctor arrested by Spicer may have been Dr Barnardo. It would explain him being reprimanded.

RD
                    "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I would.
                      If any single character in this drama was truly the murderer. If the killer has been hiding in plain sight all the time, this is him.
                      I actually would put money on it.
                      so would i

Comment

Back to the original point of this thread. Church lane man good chance imho and the man seen by fiddymont possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
                          I believe the doctor arrested by Spicer may have been Dr Barnardo. It would explain him being reprimanded.

RD
                          Hmm, but it wouldn't explain why the doctor wasn't instantly recognised at the station as Dr. Barnardo - he was hardly an unknown personality in 1888.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

This one of the encounter near Mitre Square (likely PC was Edward Watkins). Place of encounter: The end of the covered St. James Passage where it enters the Orange Market.

Pearson's Weekly August 6, 1912, told by ex PC E.T. Langdon:

"Let me recall one of the murders, the Mitre Square murder. It was night and the policeman passed through the square once, everything then being apparently alright. He walked on, coming to a court leading out of a street out of Mitre Square. Halfway up the court he stood sideways to allow a man to pass him. The man came from the direction of the square."​

Comment

[QUOTE=Harry D;n9685]

..... it WOULD be the bloodstained man who drank in the Prince Albert after the Chapman's murder, assumed by some to be Jacob Isenschmid?

QUOTE]

Thats my personal opinion of course. But that of course would compromise the Canonical Group concept...heaven forfend.
                              Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
                              X