No announcement yet.

Do you think Jack was ever arrested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be interested to know on what grounds an individual would be cleared. If for instance he claimed to be at home with his wife then would her word alone be sufficient ? It is hard to comprehend that given the sheer numbers questioned the ripper wasn't at some point one of those. I wonder if that was the problem. That thorough checks became impossible.

Snapper

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      Many men were arrested or brought in for questioning over the course of the investigation. Do you think there's a good chance that Jacky himself was one of them?
      Hi Harry
      I Beleive there is a very good chance that the ripper was arrested and or questioned by police in connection to the whitechapel murders.

I also think there is a better chance than not that he was previously arrested for other crimes before the autumn of terror.

I think that if the ripper is to be found it is in the arrest records prior to the murders for someone who assaulted prostitutes and or women and or with a knife and probably not in the insane asylum records and or a mentally ill Jew.

Comment

What Abby said in her first two sentences, not sure about the last bit.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

If there was a 'Jack' (just saved Lynn the trouble of posting!), and if he was a local man with a working-class background, I think it's almost certain that the police spoke to him. Was he arrested? Who knows? I suspect not.

As the area was crawling with police at the material time, it seems certain that he was spoken to, unless he engineered it so that he appeared to be someone whom the police of that era would have considered to be above suspicion. If there is any truth to Sergeant White's story (which must be doubtful) he and his colleagues were reluctant to stop a man who seemed to be of high social standing. (I suspect that there would have been no such qualms about stopping a scruffy man in work clothes in the same circumstances). White's man had the appearance of being well-to-do and prosperous so no thought was given to inconveniencing him until it was too late. The story may be a complete fiction but it is revealing of contemporary police attitudes.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            What Abby said in her first two sentences, not sure about the last bit.
            I'm a dude

Comment

Sorry Abby
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

At least you didn't find out the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                  At least you didn't find out the hard way.
                  Bada bing!

Good one

Comment

Working...
                  X