Do you think Jack was ever arrested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Jack was ever arrested?

Many men were arrested or brought in for questioning over the course of the investigation. Do you think there's a good chance that Jacky himself was one of them?

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    Many men were arrested or brought in for questioning over the course of the investigation. Do you think there's a good chance that Jacky himself was one of them?

Hi, Harry,
    Yes, I do think the police very likely talked to the real JtR -- perhaps more than once.

In solved cases, that seems to be almost always true. The real guy has been caught up in the investigation at least once and often more than that.

In light of the type of crimes these were, I also suspect that Jacky had a known criminal background, of some sort. Most likely petty. But he was probably known to the police.

curious

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      As you may know, I do believe that Jack WAS questioned by the police. But I think he came forward out of his own free will and lied his way out.
      Otherwise, I do not think that he was necessarily "known to the police". Look at Joel Rifkin, Joachim Kroll, John Eric Armstrong etcetera - on the surface perfectly harmless people who stayed well away from any contact with the police and with no record of violence preceding their arrests as serialists, as far as I can remember.

The grey men. The ones who melted into the woodwork. Low-key characters.

Thatīs not to say that Lechmere could not have been a tyrant in his own household and an unpleasant character altogether - we know too little about him to be able to decide. But predisposing that serialists must have a history of violence recorded is not a correct way to approach the matter.

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

Jack was known to the police, definitely. But I know of a theory about what happened to him after the murders but not at liberty say at the moment (but it isn't the prisioner 1167 theory).

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
          Hi, Harry,
          Yes, I do think the police very likely talked to the real JtR -- perhaps more than once.
          Yes, I think you are right.
          Given the hundreds of people interviewed, the house-to-house searches, the suspicious person's brought in (arrested?) off the streets for questioning, then yes, he was very likely questioned.
          But in all cases their suspicions, if that be the case, came to naught.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Harry ,I think our killer was dead or imprisoned soon after the Mary Kelly's revolting murder I don't think he was wandering around in a happy state without a care in the world .
            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Harry

I think it's highly likely Jack was arrested and or questioned by the police.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                Harry

I think it's highly likely Jack was arrested and or questioned by the police.

Cheers John
                Hi John,it's a strong possibility but only if he lived locally
                Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Personally I would be shocked f he wasn't questioned about something.

But was it these killings or something else.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

/

I don't know if he was ever questioned as far as the murders, but I would be willing to bet "Jack" had previous run-ins with the law for other things.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                      Hi John,it's a strong possibility but only if he lived locally
                      Hi Pinkmoon

I think it's odds on Jack did live locally either in Whitechapel or the surrounding area.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                        Hi Harry ,I think our killer was dead or imprisoned soon after the Mary Kelly's revolting murder I don't think he was wandering around in a happy state without a care in the world .
                        Hi Pinkmoon

I think it's very likely Jack was either dead or imprisoned soon after Mary Kelly's murder.

Cheers John

Comment

One never knows of course, but I'd say the chances are pretty good. But whether or not the police had any clue that they were talking to someone who might be Jack is anyone's guess.

Comment

Spratling's MURDER LIST etc.

from the Wonderful M. Caine's 1988 Film (JTR)

FGA

Comment

The ripper came forward on Monday 12 November, passing himself as one George Hutchinson who wasn't a plumber.

Comment

Working...
                              X