Blackheath Railway Station upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'Day Pinkmoon

Or the MP for Dorset, one might think he was talking on the basis of some information, I just wish MM told us what private information.

GUT
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      G'Day Pinkmoon

Or the MP for Dorset, one might think he was talking on the basis of some information, I just wish MM told us what private information.

GUT
      Hi gut,surely to God if sir mellvile was told about Druitt he would make some very basic enquires about him
      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
        Hi gut,surely to God if sir mellvile was told about Druitt he would make some very basic enquiries about him
        Cue Jonathan H?
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          Cue Jonathan H?
          Hi bridewell,you have to admit sir Melville must have made some enquires also he would have known about kosminski so why did he choose Druitt over him.
          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

G'Day Pinkmoon

Hi bridewell,you have to admit sir Melville must have made some enquires also he would have known about kosminski so why did he choose Druitt over him.
            Does he though?

GUT
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

G'Day Pinkmoon

Does he though?

GUT
              Hi gut,in such a huge case the police departments must have shared info they would have wanted it solved just to save face.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but Monte had a return ticket from Hammersmith to Charing Cross. Where are these in relation to,

1. Blackheath
                2. Temple Inn Chambers
                3. Dorset
                Charing Cross is the exact centre of London - it's named for a large cross that stood there for centuries, until destroyed by Cromwell's vandals. It's directly to the south of Trafalgar Square and Lord Nelson's Column that you've seen in a billion establishing shots for 'central London' in movies and TV.

Hammersmith is a neighborhood about five miles west of Charing Cross. Hammersmith was home to the Grove Road railway station of the London & South Western Railway, which offered service onward to Dorset, as well as connections to other lines heading northward.

Blackheath is a neighborhood about 6.5 miles east and somewhat south of Charing Cross. It's south of the river, and, as the name suggests, has large tracts of open fields.

The Temple Inn Chambers refers in Druitt's case to the Inner Temple Inn, one of the four Inns of Court, a sort of business complex for lawyers, with offices, dining rooms, and church all on the grounds. It wasn't unusual for lawyers to have sleeping quarters there. It's about a mile east of Charing Cross, and about 2.5 to 3 miles west and somewhat south of the murder scenes.

Dorset is a county on the south coast of England, just at the base of where that sort of peninsula sticks off below Wales. Dorset is quite rural.
                - Ginger

Comment

G'Day Ginger

Yep I understand all that thanks. I guess what I can't understand though is

1. Why Charing Cross NOT Temple Station, or didn't it exist in 1888 [which I hadn't thought of till now].

2. WHY Hammersmith, where was he coming from or going to, to use that station is it a station he would change lines at if coming from Blackheath or Dorset.

BTW certainly in more recent years [at least 1920's] for a Barrister to sleep in chambers is frowned on, though I have done it at times. My ancestors actually come from Dorset, the first of my mob to land here was from Weymouth.

But thanks a lot for the help, it's not always easy to get my head around the "Lay of the Land" merely from maps.

GUT
                  G U T

Comment

1. Why Charing Cross NOT Temple Station, or didn't it exist in 1888 [which I hadn't thought of till now].

2. WHY Hammersmith, where was he coming from or going to, to use that station is it a station he would change lines at if coming from Blackheath or Dorset.
                    Heya.

I'm sorry - I completely misunderstood the scope of your question. In a way I'm rather glad I did, as I'd not really thought about that before. I'd always kind of assumed that Charing Cross was convenient to the Temple. On looking up the distances, I can see that it really isn't.

Hammersmith was a huge complex of adjoining railway stations operated by different lines. It wasn't at all unusual for people travelling to or from London to change trains at Hammersmith, I believe. If he was coming from Dorset he was probably travelling on the London & South Western.

I do know that in the 1860s there was discussion of allowing the L&SWR and the L&SER to run a shared above-ground extension from Hammersmith to Charing Cross, but I don't know if it ever happened. If that got built, that may have been what he had the return ticket for.

Elsewise, going by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_Railway, the Temple underground station was opened in 1870, the same year as Charing Cross underground. By 1874 there was through service to Hammersmith on the District underground which operated at all three stations. Interestingly, the Whitechapel stop on the same line opened in 1884. He could certainly have ridden the underground from Hammersmith directly to the Temple, or to Whitechapel, had he chosen.

Between Blackheath and the City he'd almost certainly have taken the South Eastern Railway. They served mainly the south side of the river, but had an aboveground terminal at Charing Cross from 1864 onward. Given that his return ticket was between Hammersmith and Charing Cross instead the Temple, I'm guessing that this ticket formed part of a journey between Hammersmith (and maybe Dorset) and Blackheath, which would be supported by his half-season ticket.
                    - Ginger

Comment

Thanks Ginger much appreciated.

GUT
                      G U T

Comment

Working...
                      X