Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Book from Former Scotland Yard Detective including criminal profile from NCA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Book from Former Scotland Yard Detective including criminal profile from NCA

Hi all,

I posted last year to say I was writing a book and am pleased to be able to tell you it's out next month.

I'm a former detective inspector from the Met Police and spent the last 12 years of my career investigating murders. Prior to that, I policed Whitechapel. I also investigated terrorism, so feel quite an affinity to Frederick Abberline, having shared a similar career path.

My book looks at how we would investigate these crimes should they happen today. Incorporated into that I look to answer three questions:

- Which crimes did JTR commit
    - Why did he commit them
    - Who was he

I'm also pleased to say the National Crime Agency has contributed their first ever 'criminal profile' of the killer. In the UK, the NCA provide advice to police forces in major investigations. Part of that includes the provision of crime scene assessments and predictive profiles. Only three people in the UK are qualified to perform that role, one of whom contributed to the book (with the full support of the NCA).

The book is primarily aimed at those without a deep knowledge of the cases but I'm sure there are parts that some here would find of interest.

I found casebook.org to be a tremendous help in my research, so thank you to those that run this site. I also had a couple of questions that people were kind enough to answer.

The book is called Murder Investigation Team: Jack the Ripper, and is available to pre-order on Amazon and most other sites.

Thanks again and for those that do decide to read it, I hope you enjoy it.

Best wishes

Steve

Good luck with the book Steve.

I am looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
      Good luck with the book Steve.

I am looking forward to it.
      That's much appreciated, thank you.

Comment

Hi Steve!

Big congratulations on the publication of your book!

I'll certainly give it a go!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
          Hi Steve!

Big congratulations on the publication of your book!

I'll certainly give it a go!
          Hi, Ms Diddles, thank you. That's great I hope you enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenKeogh View Post
            Hi all,

I posted last year to say I was writing a book and am pleased to be able to tell you it's out next month.

I'm a former detective inspector from the Met Police and spent the last 12 years of my career investigating murders. Prior to that, I policed Whitechapel. I also investigated terrorism, so feel quite an affinity to Frederick Abberline, having shared a similar career path.

My book looks at how we would investigate these crimes should they happen today. Incorporated into that I look to answer three questions:

- Why did he commit them
            - Who was he

I'm also pleased to say the National Crime Agency has contributed their first ever 'criminal profile' of the killer. In the UK, the NCA provide advice to police forces in major investigations. Part of that includes the provision of crime scene assessments and predictive profiles. Only three people in the UK are qualified to perform that role, one of whom contributed to the book (with the full support of the NCA).

The book is primarily aimed at those without a deep knowledge of the cases but I'm sure there are parts that some here would find of interest.

I found casebook.org to be a tremendous help in my research, so thank you to those that run this site. I also had a couple of questions that people were kind enough to answer.

The book is called Murder Investigation Team: Jack the Ripper, and is available to pre-order on Amazon and most other sites.

Best wishes

Steve

Hi Steven,

I wish you well on your book, hopefully we will get some new perspectives that can help even the most devout students of the crimes. I particularly liked your first question.....Which crimes did this one man actually commit. Its something that Ive been wrestling with ever since I began studying these cases in 1988. Let me explain a bit while admitting fully that I do not posses the knowledge or have the historical references that you would being an investigating detective. Your experience with terrorism might be very valuable here too. People have assumed there was no connection between some of these murders and the Parnell Commission, something which I consider quite possible.

My own study has led me to conclude that the murders with organ extractions are the most relevant cases among the five or six that have been suggested were JtR's crimes. Killing someone isnt remarkable, its done everyday in every corner of the globe. Taking something from a victim isnt particularly unique either, but having to perform the act of opening the body of the freshly killed victim to obtain what is to be taken, is very relevant.. and unique. Murders quite often are passionate acts, the murderer caught up in some passionate response to a provocation, or what is perceived as a provocation. But in some of these crimes he/she stayed on the spot, outdoors...vulnerable to anyone who might pass by, with a victim he/she just killed, using the valuable time he has to escape, to clinically remove an internal organ to take with him.

My personal opinion is that its was one person who did these particular acts, committed the crimes where these specific actions are present. I have no problem calling him a Ripper because the ghoulish and callous nature of these acts was monstrous. I do take issue however with those that link Elizabeth Stride for example with those same crimes, because what happened to her is that she was murdered...and as I said, I dont find murder in and of itself anything extraordinary. It happens. Since I began studying JtR I have read about many murders of that approximate period, by many different people. The alleged Ripper murders account for only a handful of these crimes. So evidence that other killers co-existed in the same area and place and time as this Jack fellow is empirical. They most certainly did.

But only 2 women out of all the victims during that period had internal abdominal organs extracted post mortem, on the very site of the murders.

Ive heard all the excuses why other victims should be linked with this killer, interruptions,... the time to go further, the novice kill,...but despite these unproven speculations only 1 additional murder is worth considering as being done by that same one man. Because the INTENT is there. The preparation, the methodology of the murder.....it seems probable to me that this murder should be considered as being by the same organ removal killer.

I believe JtR's tally is likely a triple homicide, with 2 that can be almost certainly linked with this one killer. Perhaps Polly, but certainly Annie and Kate.
            Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Hi Steven,

I wish you well on your book, hopefully we will get some new perspectives that can help even the most devout students of the crimes. I particularly liked your first question.....Which crimes did this one man actually commit. Its something that Ive been wrestling with ever since I began studying these cases in 1988. Let me explain a bit while admitting fully that I do not posses the knowledge or have the historical references that you would being an investigating detective. Your experience with terrorism might be very valuable here too. People have assumed there was no connection between some of these murders and the Parnell Commission, something which I consider quite possible.

My own study has led me to conclude that the murders with organ extractions are the most relevant cases among the five or six that have been suggested were JtR's crimes. Killing someone isnt remarkable, its done everyday in every corner of the globe. Taking something from a victim isnt particularly unique either, but having to perform the act of opening the body of the freshly killed victim to obtain what is to be taken, is very relevant.. and unique. Murders quite often are passionate acts, the murderer caught up in some passionate response to a provocation, or what is perceived as a provocation. But in some of these crimes he/she stayed on the spot, outdoors...vulnerable to anyone who might pass by, with a victim he/she just killed, using the valuable time he has to escape, to clinically remove an internal organ to take with him.

My personal opinion is that its was one person who did these particular acts, committed the crimes where these specific actions are present. I have no problem calling him a Ripper because the ghoulish and callous nature of these acts was monstrous. I do take issue however with those that link Elizabeth Stride for example with those same crimes, because what happened to her is that she was murdered...and as I said, I dont find murder in and of itself anything extraordinary. It happens. Since I began studying JtR I have read about many murders of that approximate period, by many different people. The alleged Ripper murders account for only a handful of these crimes. So evidence that other killers co-existed in the same area and place and time as this Jack fellow is empirical. They most certainly did.

But only 2 women out of all the victims during that period had internal abdominal organs extracted post mortem, on the very site of the murders.

Ive heard all the excuses why other victims should be linked with this killer, interruptions,... the time to go further, the novice kill,...but despite these unproven speculations only 1 additional murder is worth considering as being done by that same one man. Because the INTENT is there. The preparation, the methodology of the murder.....it seems probable to me that this murder should be considered as being by the same organ removal killer.

I believe JtR's tally is likely a triple homicide, with 2 that can be almost certainly linked with this one killer. Perhaps Polly, but certainly Annie and Kate.
              Hi, Michael.

You make some really interesting points, some of which align with my own thinking. The way I approach the crimes he may have committed is as I would in real life. It was my job to gather evidence and put that to the Crown Prosecution Service for them to make a decision as to whether a killer should stand trial. So, that's how I've done it in the book. I use a method of evidentially linking crimes that, for me, is quite a powerful tool. I'm aided in that by statistics not publicly available, which brings into focus the rarity of some of the characteristics of these crimes. I later go on to give my own opinion but that is separate and I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me, that's not the point of the book.

The part about why he kills is really important in that, too. I place a lot of emphasis on that. The NCA profile of him delves into that also.

It definitely doesn't toe any party lines and the conclusions are based on the evidence only, which is how I had to present my cases to the CPS.

I really hope you get a lot out of the book, Michael. At the very least, to give you some things to think about.

Comment

Hi all,

- Why did he commit them
                - Who was he

Best wishes

Steve

congrats! looking forward to it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

congrats! looking forward to it!!
                  Appreciated, thank you, Abby

Comment

Hi, Michael.

You make some really interesting points, some of which align with my own thinking. The way I approach the crimes he may have committed is as I would in real life. It was my job to gather evidence and put that to the Crown Prosecution Service for them to make a decision as to whether a killer should stand trial. So, that's how I've done it in the book. I use a method of evidentially linking crimes that, for me, is quite a powerful tool. I'm aided in that by statistics not publicly available, which brings into focus the rarity of some of the characteristics of these crimes. I later go on to give my own opinion but that is separate and I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me, that's not the point of the book.

The part about why he kills is really important in that, too. I place a lot of emphasis on that. The NCA profile of him delves into that also.

It definitely doesn't toe any party lines and the conclusions are based on the evidence only, which is how I had to present my cases to the CPS.

I really hope you get a lot out of the book, Michael. At the very least, to give you some things to think about.
                    After reading the above Im even more anxious to read it Steven. Your expertise in these areas is clear, and by the sounds of it your approach, the tools youve applied, Im sure I will go away with some things to consider...or reconsider, after reading it. Ive had the pleasure of exchanging some ideas with some of the other senior ex-policemen here and its quite interesting to get opinion from people with your experiences and wisdom. Im going to order my copy shortly. Speak with you soon Steven, and thanks for the reply to my post.

Michael Richards

Comment

Congratulations on your forthcoming book! I will try to find a copy and look forward to reading it when I do.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post
                        Congratulations on your forthcoming book! I will try to find a copy and look forward to reading it when I do.

- Jeff
                        Cheers, Jeff. I think most online stores have it to pre-order.

Comment

Congratulations on the new book, Steve. I'm looking forward to reading it. Regards, Gazza.
                          Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Hi all,

- Why did he commit them
                            - Who was he

Best wishes

Steve
                            Hi Steve, well done - sounds really interesting. I don't own any ripper books but may make an exception for this one. Certainly interested to see how things have changed/moved on with regard to the killer's profile since the FBI's effort 30 odd years ago (and Bond's of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post

Hi Steve, well done - sounds really interesting. I don't own any ripper books but may make an exception for this one. Certainly interested to see how things have changed/moved on with regard to the killer's profile since the FBI's effort 30 odd years ago (and Bond's of course).
                              Thanks mate. Yeah, the NCA profile is definitely different to the previous two. It also contradicts a few of the FBI's characteristics.

Comment

Working...
                              X