Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Seaside Home: Could Schwartz or Lawende Have Put the Ripper's Neck in a Noose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Trevor, you have an astounding capacity for not directly addressing what I say in my posts but changing the subject to something else.

You want to go back to the topic of corroboration now?

Well an official memo by the Chief Constable at Scotland Yard corroborates Swanson in that it states that Kosminski was regarded within Scotland Yard as a "strong suspect". Anderson's memoir corroborates that a Polish Jew was identified as JTR by a Jewish witness.

But Anderson doesn't name Kosminski does he and if you are referring to Magnahten he in the Aberconway version tends to exonerate him, why would he exonerate a killer who had been positively identified, and a point you keep ignoring is that MM was Swansons boss yet he makes no mention of this ID procedure can you explain those two anomalies in suggesting that the Marginalia is to be relied on?

So we have three of the most senior officials at Scotland Yard - Assistant Commissioner, Chief Constable and Chief Inspector - all telling us the same thing. In circumstances where Scotland Yard's 'Suspects' file no longer exists, it's hard to know what better corroboration you could want.

But they are not all telling the same thing are they? Swanson purportedly names Kosminski. Anderson doesn't name anyone and MM exonerates Kosminski.

And you nor anyone else can explain why according to the marginalia Kosminski was watched day and night by City police, when Major Smith is emphatic that he had clues as to the identity of the killer

That strikes me as way better corroboration of something than a single newspaper interview of an elderly H Division detective uncorroborated by a single Scotland Yard official, or any other known police official, whose recollection is in direct contradiction of an official autopsy report, don't you think?​
    There is corroboration to show no organs were taken away by the killer of Kelly but that is not for this thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Trevor, you have an astounding capacity for not directly addressing what I say in my posts but changing the subject to something else.

You want to go back to the topic of corroboration now?

Well an official memo by the Chief Constable at Scotland Yard corroborates Swanson in that it states that Kosminski was regarded within Scotland Yard as a "strong suspect". Anderson's memoir corroborates that a Polish Jew was identified as JTR by a Jewish witness.

But Anderson doesn't name Kosminski does he and if you are referring to Magnahten he in the Aberconway version tends to exonerate him, why would he exonerate a killer who had been positively identified, and a point you keep ignoring is that MM was Swansons boss yet he makes no mention of this ID procedure can you explain those two anomalies in suggesting that the Marginalia is to be relied on?

I already demonstrated some time ago - without any opposition from you - that the Aberconway version is a draft while the filed version is the final official version. The final official version doesn't give any details but says that there were "many circumstances" connected with Kosminski "which made him a strong suspect". That is entirely consistent with what Swanson tells us in the marginalia, which simply gives more details about those circumstances​

So we have three of the most senior officials at Scotland Yard - Assistant Commissioner, Chief Constable and Chief Inspector - all telling us the same thing. In circumstances where Scotland Yard's 'Suspects' file no longer exists, it's hard to know what better corroboration you could want.

But they are not all telling the same thing are they? Swanson purportedly names Kosminski. Anderson doesn't name anyone and MM exonerates Kosminski.

How can you possibly say that MM exonerates Kosminski when he describes him as a "strong suspect" in the final version of his report which was filed at Scotland Yard? Do you just see what you want to see and ignore everything else you don't like?

I know that Anderson doesn't name anyone (and he explained why) but that's precisely what Swanson did in the marginalia. He provided the identity of Anderson's suspect.​

And you nor anyone else can explain why according to the marginalia Kosminski was watched day and night by City police, when Major Smith is emphatic that he had clues as to the identity of the killer

I assume you mean "no clues". He actually said "no...idea". There isn't any contradiction between the City Police keeping a suspect (who they never saw murdering anyone) under constant surveillance and Smith saying that he had no idea who the murderer was. Unless you think that every suspect is automatically guilty​

There is corroboration to show no organs were taken away by the killer of Kelly but that is not for this thread

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
      No there isn’t.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Anderson has Kosminski's family refusing to co-operate with the police in any way

(PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1, # 568)

False. Anderson does not say that Kosminski's family refused to co-operate with the police in any way.

(Herlock Shomes, # 570)

if he was not living absolutely alone, his people knew of his guilt, and refused to give him up to justice ... he and his people were certain low-class Polish Jews; for it is a remarkable fact that people of that class in the East End will not give up one of their number to Gentile justice.

(ANDERSON)

If [Kosminski's family] were not [cooperative], then it would have had to have been the police who tied his hands behind his back.

​(PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1, # 568)

Isn't that what police do in order to detain or restrain violent criminals or lunatics?​

(Herlock Shomes, # 570)

How could the police have taken Kosminski from London to the Seaside Home without an arrest warrant; why would they have allowed him to return home after his identification as the Whitechapel Murderer; why would they have kept him under surveillance for a few days; why would they then re-arrest him, and why would they then take him to a workhouse?

Macnaghten thought Kosminski was such a strong suspect that he stated his belief that the murderer had never been incarcerated in an asylum

False. He says no such thing
        ​​

(Herlock Shomes, # 570)

I [do not] believe that [the Whitechapel Murderer] had ever been detained in an asylum

(Macnaghten, Days Of My Years, Chapter IV)

Anderson originally had Kosminski in an asylum when the identification took place, which contracts Swanson's account.

And that was removed from the version in his book suggesting he had made an error in the earlier magazine version

(Herlock Shomes, # 570)

Sir Robert Anderson made an error when he wrote that Kosminski was already incarcerated in an asylum at the time of his identification?

If he could not get such basic details right about what had happened in the most sensational identification in British criminal history, then what reliance can be placed on anything else he claims to have happened?

How about Anderson making an error about a Jewish witness identifying him?

How about Anderson making an error about a Jewish witness refusing to testify against the suspect?

How about Anderson making an error about it being a definitely ascertained fact that the Whitechapel Murderer was a Polish Jew?

Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 03-18-2023, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
          Anderson has Kosminski's family refusing to co-operate with the police in any way

False. Anderson does not say that Kosminski's family refused to co-operate with the police in any way.

(Herlock Shomes, # 570)

if he was not living absolutely alone, his people knew of his guilt, and refused to give him up to justice ... he and his people were certain low-class Polish Jews; for it is a remarkable fact that people of that class in the East End will not give up one of their number to Gentile justice.

(ANDERSON)

If [Kosminski's family] were not [cooperative], then it would have had to have been the police who tied his hands behind his back.

​(PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1, # 568)

Isn't that what police do in order to detain or restrain violent criminals or lunatics?​

(Herlock Shomes, # 570)

How could the police have taken Kosminski from London to the Seaside Home without an arrest warrant; why would they have allowed him to return home after his identification as the Whitechapel Murderer; why would they have kept him under surveillance for a few days; why would they then re-arrest him, and why would they then take him to a workhouse?

Macnaghten thought Kosminski was such a strong suspect that he stated his belief that the murderer had never been incarcerated in an asylum

False. He says no such thing
          ​​

(Herlock Shomes, # 570)

I [do not] believe that [the Whitechapel Murderer] had ever been detained in an asylum

(Macnaghten, Days Of My Years, Chapter IV)

Anderson originally had Kosminski in an asylum when the identification took place, which contracts Swanson's account.

And that was removed from the version in his book suggesting he had made an error in the earlier magazine version

(Herlock Shomes, # 570)

Sir Robert Anderson made an error when he wrote that Kosminski was already incarcerated in an asylum at the time of his identification?

If he could not get such basic details right about what had happened in the most sensational identification in British criminal history, then what reliance can be placed on anything else he claims to have happened?

How about Anderson making an error about a Jewish witness identifying him?

How about Anderson making an error about a Jewish witness refusing to testify against the suspect?

How about Anderson making an error about it being a definitely ascertained fact that the Whitechapel Murderer was a Polish Jew?

Thank you for checking the source material and confirming I was right. As you have clearly demonstrated, Anderson did not say that Kosminski's family "refused to co-operate with the police in any way".

Nor would the police tying Kosminski's hands behind his back evidence non-co-operation by the family.

How did the police send Kosminski to the Seaside Home without an arrest warrant? With difficulty, as Swanson said.

Why would they have allowed him to return home to after his identification as the Whitechapel Murderer? This is explained by Swanson. The witness refused to testify. They had no basis to charge Kosminski. Legally they could not prevent him from going to live with his brother.

Why would they have kept him under surveillance? Perhaps to ensure that he didn't murder any more women, do you think?

Why would they then re-arrest him? Swanson doesn't mention an arrest.

Why would they take him to a workhouse? MEPO 8/17: Metropolitan Police: Instruction Book for the Government and Guidance of the Metropolitan Police Force 1893 - When a prisoner is taken to a workhouse by direction of the Divisional Surgeon, the police are to give intimation to the Workhouse Authorities that the person is a prisoner and will be taken charge of by police when in a fit condition to leave the Workhouse, and a request is to be made that due notification may be sent to the Police prior to the discharge of the prisoner.

In 1894, Macnaghten stated in his official Scotland Yard report that it was possible that Jack the Ripper had been incarcerated in an asylum. So he clearly did NOT believe, while serving in the Metropolitan Police as Chief Constable, that the Ripper was never placed in an asylum, otherwise he wouldn't have signed off on his report. You will have to explain why he said something different in his book 20 years later.

As for Anderson's error, it was corrected in his book. Any normal person will understand that writing 20 years after an event from memory, it's possible to make small errors of detail or chronology. But the whole point is that Anderson's account is corroborated by Swanson in the marginalia. That's why Swanson's marginalia is so important. Swanson was the Chief Inspector of C.I.D. at Scotland yard who had been given charge by the Commissioner in 1888 of all the evidence in the Ripper case and is a very credible source. If you don't believe Swanson, it's difficult to know who or what you will believe.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Thank you for checking the source material and confirming I was right. As you have clearly demonstrated, Anderson did not say that Kosminski's family "refused to co-operate with the police in any way".

Nor would the police tying Kosminski's hands behind his back evidence non-co-operation by the family.

How did the police send Kosminski to the Seaside Home without an arrest warrant? With difficulty, as Swanson said.

Why would they have allowed him to return home to after his identification as the Whitechapel Murderer? This is explained by Swanson. The witness refused to testify. They had no basis to charge Kosminski. Legally they could not prevent him from going to live with his brother.

Why would they have kept him under surveillance? Perhaps to ensure that he didn't murder any more women, do you think?

Why would they then re-arrest him? Swanson doesn't mention an arrest.

Why would they take him to a workhouse? MEPO 8/17: Metropolitan Police: Instruction Book for the Government and Guidance of the Metropolitan Police Force 1893 - When a prisoner is taken to a workhouse by direction of the Divisional Surgeon, the police are to give intimation to the Workhouse Authorities that the person is a prisoner and will be taken charge of by police when in a fit condition to leave the Workhouse, and a request is to be made that due notification may be sent to the Police prior to the discharge of the prisoner.

In 1894, Macnaghten stated in his official Scotland Yard report that it was possible that Jack the Ripper had been incarcerated in an asylum. So he clearly did NOT believe, while serving in the Metropolitan Police as Chief Constable, that the Ripper was never placed in an asylum, otherwise he wouldn't have signed off on his report. You will have to explain why he said something different in his book 20 years later.

As for Anderson's error, it was corrected in his book. Any normal person will understand that writing 20 years after an event from memory, it's possible to make small errors of detail or chronology. But the whole point is that Anderson's account is corroborated by Swanson in the marginalia. That's why Swanson's marginalia is so important. Swanson was the Chief Inspector of C.I.D. at Scotland yard who had been given charge by the Commissioner in 1888 of all the evidence in the Ripper case and is a very credible source. If you don't believe Swanson, it's difficult to know who or what you will believe.
            Very interesting point about the workhouse Herlock, thank you

Regards Darryl

Comment

• Readers are being expected to believe that:

The police were able to take Kosminski against his will from London to the coast without an arrest warrant.

The police had no legal alternative but to allow him to return home after being identified as the Whitechapel Murderer.

Kosminski was placed under surveillance in case he committed a murder some two years since the last was committed.

Kosminski had his hands tied behind his back by the police even though he was not under arrest.

Kosminski was taken by the police to a workhouse even though he was not under arrest.

I suggest such a sequence of events is not credible.

Comment

• If you were researching this series of murders from scratch and you could interview one police officer about the case, to me it is difficult to look beyond Swanson. After all he was the man in charge of the investigation.
                And here is someone who wasn't seeking any sensational exposure for his biography etc. He is also someone who never gave any detailed interview regarding the crimes to any newspaper or magazine . He made a few private notes for personal consumption .
                But his thoughts should be discarded, especially regarding an attempted ID which apparently was mythical .
                I believe the saying is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, instead of trying to make sense of what Swanson wrote.

Regards Darryl

Comment

• Originally posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
                  If you were researching this series of murders from scratch and you could interview one police officer about the case, to me it is difficult to look beyond Swanson. After all he was the man in charge of the investigation.
                  And here is someone who wasn't seeking any sensational exposure for his biography etc. He is also someone who never gave any detailed interview regarding the crimes to any newspaper or magazine . He made a few private notes for personal consumption .
                  But his thoughts should be discarded, especially regarding an attempted ID which apparently was mythical .
                  I believe the saying is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, instead of trying to make sense of what Swanson wrote.

Regards Darryl

Are you saying you think the identification of Kosminski at a place on the coast did not happen?

Comment

Are you saying you think the identification of Kosminski at a place on the coast did not happen?
                    It may have happened, or it may have happened at another seaside home. I believe Adam Wood has proposed an alternative [ I have just started reading his book on Swanson and the murders ]. My own personal view [ and I could be wrong ], is that seaside home could be seaman's home and the attempted ID happened in Whitechapel. What I don't believe however is that Swanson was completely wrong and there was no ID and nothing of a tangible nature behind it.

Regards Darryl

Comment

I think now I understand what you meant in # 537: that Swanson had not sought a conviction, and that he was not telling the truth about that.

If Anderson and Swanson did not tell the truth about such an important detail, why should we believe anything else in their story?
                      That's a fair point but I think it's more likely that they gilded the lily a bit than that they fabricated the whole thing. Quite apart from anything else, if you were going to invent an ID procedure, why would you place it in such an unlikely setting?
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

That's a fair point but I think it's more likely that they gilded the lily a bit than that they fabricated the whole thing. Quite apart from anything else, if you were going to invent an ID procedure, why would you place it in such an unlikely setting?
                        Good question Colin. Why would they invent this? Why risk being called a liar? We know how important reputation was to people like Anderson.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I think it was in order to explain why no-one apparently knew of the identification.

Had it taken place at a London police station, as it surely would have, then how could it have been kept secret?

There were reports of Grainger's attempted identification and they didn't come to us from anyone's marginalia!

I would suggest, nevertheless, that it is not credible that the police would have put convalescents at risk of being attacked by the Whitechapel Murderer.

The difficulty to which Swanson refers is an impossibility.

No magistrate would have authorised Kosminski's transportation to a place 50 miles from London in order to meet someone who was also based in London!

And he would not have authorised the transportation of a man suspected of being a homicidal maniac to a place where people were convalescing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Swanson is categoric in the marginalia that Kosminski was positively identified as the Ripper despite there being no corroboration to this mythical ID procedure

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                            Anderson claimed that the murderer had been identified but that the witness refused to swear to it. Swanson then adds "because the suspect was also a Jew and because his evidence would convict the suspect and witness would be the means of murderer being hanged which he did not wish to be left on his mind".

That looks like corroboration to me. Swanson places the ID at The Seaside Home; Anderson is silent on the location. You may not believe an ID procedure took place, and you may be quite right not to believe it, but your claim that it is uncorroborated is disingenuous.

(And of course a witness account doesn't have to be corroborated in order to be true; it just helps if it is).
                            Last edited by Bridewell; 03-18-2023, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I think it was in order to explain why no-one apparently knew of the identification.

Had it taken place at a London police station, as it surely would have, then how could it have been kept secret?

There were reports of Grainger's attempted identification and they didn't come to us from anyone's marginalia!

I would suggest, nevertheless, that it is not credible that the police would have put convalescents at risk of being attacked by the Whitechapel Murderer.

The difficulty to which Swanson refers is an impossibility.

No magistrate would have authorised Kosminski's transportation to a place 50 miles from London in order to meet someone who was also based in London!

And he would not have authorised the transportation of a man suspected of being a homicidal maniac to a place where people were convalescing.
                              I'm not sure why you think a magistrate would be involved. If Kosminski was incarcerated in a mental institution all you would need would be the acquiescence of those in charge of that institution. If staff from that institution accompanied him and were present throughout he wouldn't technically even leave their custody.

Comment

I'm not sure why you think a magistrate would be involved. If Kosminski was incarcerated in a mental institution all you would need would be the acquiescence of those in charge of that institution. If staff from that institution accompanied him and were present throughout he wouldn't technically even leave their custody.

Well, what are the chances of those in charge of a London lunatic asylum, on being informed that a person in their care is suspected of being the infamous homicidal maniac known as the Whitechapel Murderer, giving permission for him to be transported 50 miles to a place where people are convalescing in order to meet someone who is already in London?

Another problem is that, according to Swanson, Kosminski was not yet incarcerated in an asylum.

Are you saying that everything he claimed happened after the alleged identification - the return to his brother's house, the surveillance, the tying of his hands behind his back, and being taken to a workhouse - never happened?

Comment

Working...
                                X