Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The construction of Tower Bridge 1886-1894

Hi

Can anyone help me with this ? I am looking into the Tower bridge construction (barely a couple of miles away) and the people who worked on it. My research is focussing on the people who were involved, ( riveters, labourers etc ) and where they lived during the period of the building process itself. I believe that the workers earnt double what a policeman earnt at the time, but the work itself was very dangerous and had no Health and Safety insurances that we see today.

During the actual building process, 10 men died and this was considered pretty acceptable considering the previous remark. The information i am after is regards to names and dates of their deaths and how they died. Can anyone point me in the right direction ? i believe the Pall Mall Gazette of September 6th 1894 printed a list of the costs in terms of money and human life but i have so far been unable to locate this in print.

Regards

Jason

Hi Jason

This is the PMG for the date you mentioned.
    Attached Files

Comment

thanks for that Robert, i am at a bit of a dead end with regards to names and dates of the deaths.......

Comment

Yes, a bit hard to winkle out the info, Jason. I did wonder if the matter had come up in Parliament but guess what : it seems they weren't sitting between August 1894 and February 1895.

Comment

sods law .....i will make a couple of phone calls tomorrow, the Tower Bridge number should be able to give me a bit of detail. Thanks Robert !

Comment

There are several photos of Tower Bridge being built circa 1888.
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

i am aware of many photos stephen, the info i am after is regards to names, deaths and dates

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                Hi

Can anyone help me with this ? I am looking into the Tower bridge construction (barely a couple of miles away) and the people who worked on it. My research is focussing on the people who were involved, ( riveters, labourers etc ) and where they lived during the period of the building process itself. I believe that the workers earnt double what a policeman earnt at the time, but the work itself was very dangerous and had no Health and Safety insurances that we see today.

During the actual building process, 10 men died and this was considered pretty acceptable considering the previous remark. The information i am after is regards to names and dates of their deaths and how they died. Can anyone point me in the right direction ? i believe the Pall Mall Gazette of September 6th 1894 printed a list of the costs in terms of money and human life but i have so far been unable to locate this in print.

Regards

Jason
                Hi Jason

I found the following Tweet in my Twitter in-box this morning and thought this person might be able to help you.... unless, er, it is your Tweet. Anyway, for whatever it is worth:

RealLONDONFacts‏@RealLONDONFacts

Tower Bridge took 8 years to build and cost £1,184,000 & 10 lives.

Cheers

Chris
                Christopher T. George
                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

HoW strange ! Not me chris but thanks for the info

Comment

Hi Jason,

I found this in Lloyd's, November 6 1887:

“Yesterday William Ball, aged 40, a labourer, of Vine-street-buildings, Tooley-street, was lying in the mortuary at Guy’s hospital, having expired on the previous day. The deceased was a labourer, employed in connection with the new Tower bridge, and on October 28, as a heavy stone was being raised by means of a crane, the chain gave way and the [block] fell, injuring him in a shocking manner. In spite of the extensive injuries received, the man lingered for a week.”

I didn't find an account of the inquest in the press, but maybe I missed it (or perhaps it wasn't covered, many inquests weren't). I believe that would have been Samuel Langham holding that at Guy's Hospital, within a few days after the death.

Perhaps some of the other fatalities, or all of them, were taken to Guy's Hospital with the inquests held by Langham. That may help narrow a search of newspaper accounts. I believe all of Langham's records for the City and Southwark are at the LMA.

Dave

Comment

Sorry dave , been pretty poorly last week and haven't seen this. Wonderful info, I shall look at other suggested sources .

So very appreciated

Comment

You'd think that there'd be a memorial plaque somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                        X