Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper Plaque?!

Does anyone know anything about this?

Free image hosting and sharing service, upload pictures, photo host. Offers integration solutions for uploading images to forums.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this?

https://ibb.co/T4tct12
    The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea doesn't: https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/vmblueplaque...nsubmit=search
    - Ginger

Comment

After a bit of searching, it seems to be above a restaurant called Apadana, 351 Kensington high street.
      I can’t find any other info on it at all.

Comment

It’s also worth mentioning that a genuine Heritage blue plaque will always be embedded within the brickwork, never screwed on.

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
          It’s also worth mentioning that a genuine Heritage blue plaque will always be embedded within the brickwork, never screwed on.
          This is some kind of joke but I still wonder if the person on the plaque actually existed? Probably not.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Maybe publicity for some new version of Cluedo?

Comment

If you look at the plaque on google maps, there seem to be cardboard cut-outs of women looking out of the Windows beside it.
              ?!

Comment

Can't even see it on this Google map:
                JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                ---------------------------------------------------
                JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
                ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DA8457CD-4BC1-46F7-BF1E-83597EBA2D67.jpeg
Views:	2139
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	721177 Click image for larger version

Name:	58B8823D-206D-443F-8904-6985DBA8E1A6.jpeg
Views:	2377
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	721176
                  Originally posted by richardh View Post
                  Can't even see it on this Google map:
                  https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4976...7i13312!8i6656
                  Depends where you are standing on maps, it’s only visible standing at a certain point.
                  some images are older.
                  Last edited by Yabs; 09-06-2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

The original plaque which can’t be seen properly seems smaller and different, but the location is the same

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      Maybe publicity for some new version of Cluedo?
                      I thought maybe Operation

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

I thought maybe Operation
                        Ouch!
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

If it is publicity for Hasbro the game publishers, perhaps it’s some novelty version of Monopoly.

Comment

I don't think this has anything to do with this bogus plaque, but there was an alleged "Ripper" murder in this same general neighborhood in November 1894. A woman named Augusta Dawes was found in Holland Park Road with her throat cut. The suspected murderer was Reginald Saunderson, who afterwards fled to Dublin and wrote a confession signed "Jack the Ripper." The case caused quite a stir because his uncle was an MP. I don't recall where Saunderson was living at the time of the murder, but when arrested he was taken to Kensington High Street police station. He was certified insane and sent to Broadmoor, where he would have presumably met T. H. Cutbush. He was apparently living in Ireland in 1888, in a school for weak-minded boys and young men, but is said to have run away frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
                              I don't think this has anything to do with this bogus plaque, but there was an alleged "Ripper" murder in this same general neighborhood in November 1894. A woman named Augusta Dawes was found in Holland Park Road with her throat cut. The suspected murderer was Reginald Saunderson, who afterwards fled to Dublin and wrote a confession signed "Jack the Ripper." The case caused quite a stir because his uncle was an MP. I don't recall where Saunderson was living at the time of the murder, but when arrested he was taken to Kensington High Street police station. He was certified insane and sent to Broadmoor, where he would have presumably met T. H. Cutbush. He was apparently living in Ireland in 1888, in a school for weak-minded boys and young men, but is said to have run away frequently.
                              Thanks RJ, I'd not heard of that one. Interesting that his father said he had become weak-minded about 6 years beforehand, so round about 1888. He would only have been 15 years old at the time, though.
                              There's a few other interesting points about the case that strike me, too.

​​​​​​​Firstly, there was a witness (jewish, naturally) who saw the murder and gave chase to the killer, but lost him. He then went home, and didn't mention anything to the police about what he'd seen until some time later (possibly not until after the first day of the inquest) when a friend persuaded him he should say something.
                              Shades of Hutchinson?

Secondly, the killer apparently kneed his poor victim in the stomach, rendering her unable to scream, before cutting her throat. I've often wondered if a similar technique was used to subdue the Whitechapel victims. As it happens, Augusta was still able to utter a few words before she died, so although it proved fatal there must be some doubt about the extent of the cut to her throat. But then, the killer Saunderson was disturbed at this point.

​​​​​​​Thirdly, he apparently got blood on one glove while slitting her throat (explaining this to a friend by saying he had helped police move a murder victim). Augusta was probably still at least half upright and leaning forward at the time, though, rather than laid on her back.

​​​Well, I thought they were interesting.
                              ​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X