Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did American Astronauts land on the moon 1969?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Eight Days to the Moon and Back, starts soon on BBC2. Maybe we should all watch and make up our own minds.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006p5f
    Thanks Joshua, I'll be taking a look.

Martyn

Comment

Just saw a three hour one last night called race for the moon. Lots of stuff I’ve never seen before. Fascinating.

Comment

I dare say there'll be quite a few programs on the moon landings this month. What with it being the 50th anniversary of it not happening, and all

Comment

I dare say there'll be quite a few programs on the moon landings this month. What with it being the 50th anniversary of it not happening, and all
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

lol. yes lots of them. even ones on it happening. ; )

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

No I’m not.
              This feeds back to what Harry D said about not believing the Russians.

The way the story goes, back in the beginning, the Yuri Gagarin days, two Italian brothers set up a listening station and were monitoring Soviet space fights and then feeding the information to the Americans. The annoyed Russians staged a space tragedy creating an audio illusion that one of there female cosmonauts had become stranded in space and was drifting to a slow death. They even had her saying her goodbyes and such. The Italians bought the show, hook line, and sinker and shared the info with the Americans. Needless to say everyone walked away with egg on their face and the Italian brothers were discredited.

The Soviets wouldn't admit to the scam until 15 years later; at the time they just shrugged and said they had no idea what everyone was talking about; they left the Italians and the world looking stupid. They are very good at those types of things; just look at Facebook.

But in the end, it's like Harry D said, no one would believe them anyway, and the truth is we should never believe them, except maybe our current president, he does believe them. C'est la vie!

Comment

I read "Carrying the Fire" by Michael Collins. He, (along with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin) was one of the three astronauts who flew the Apollo 11 spacecraft to the moon in July of 1969. A very extensive and detailed description of their intense training and the flight itself. I found it quite interesting.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  I read "Carrying the Fire" by Michael Collins. He, (along with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin) was one of the three astronauts who flew the Apollo 11 spacecraft to the moon in July of 1969. A very extensive and detailed description of their intense training and the flight itself. I found it quite interesting.

c.d.
                  I’ll have to check that out. The story of the space race and our astronauts is totally fascinating. The right stuff is one of my favorite movies. A lot of people sacrificed a lot to make this come together. A lot of bad asses on both sides.

little known fact. JFK offered to krutchev doing it together but was assissinated before it could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by APerno View Post

This feeds back to what Harry D said about not believing the Russians.

The way the story goes, back in the beginning, the Yuri Gagarin days, two Italian brothers set up a listening station and were monitoring Soviet space fights and then feeding the information to the Americans. The annoyed Russians staged a space tragedy creating an audio illusion that one of there female cosmonauts had become stranded in space and was drifting to a slow death. They even had her saying her goodbyes and such. The Italians bought the show, hook line, and sinker and shared the info with the Americans. Needless to say everyone walked away with egg on their face and the Italian brothers were discredited.

The Soviets wouldn't admit to the scam until 15 years later; at the time they just shrugged and said they had no idea what everyone was talking about; they left the Italians and the world looking stupid. They are very good at those types of things; just look at Facebook.

But in the end, it's like Harry D said, no one would believe them anyway, and the truth is we should never believe them, except maybe our current president, he does believe them. C'est la vie!
                    I think it's advisable not to believe the Russians without corroboration, but I can't see any good reason they would fake the death of their own cosmonaut (except maybe just for jolly). This could only reflect badly on them.
                    The story sounds garbled to me. There were already rumours of lost cosmonauts virtually from the time Sputnik went into orbit, mostly due to the tight-lipped Russian policy - any mysterious launch that wasn't followed by an announcement generated speculation that something terrible had happened.
                    The italian brothers weren't spying for the Americans (who had their own listening stations), and the fact that nobody else detected the transmissions points to the brothers at best hearing what they wanted to hear, at worst deliberate deception (some reports say the dying female cosmonaut has an Italian accent).
                    In the seventies, the Russians did admit to some deaths that they had covered up at the time - notably the Nedelin disaster in which several top rocket scientists along with perhaps over a hundred technicians were incinerated when a rocket engine prematurely ignited while being fueled for launch - but I don't think they admitted faking any deaths.

Comment

Working...
                    X