Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll What's the most important aspect of Ripperology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm flabbergasted that anyone who has been involved with studying the Whitechapel Murders for 14 years and is cognizant of the fact that new discoveries are being "constantly made" in Ripperology, would even consider writing a book at this point in time promoting one person as the culprit above all others.

Back to The Other Place.....

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
      writing a book at this point in time promoting one person as the culprit above all others.
      Can someone save me from having to spend hours chasing Tom's threads all over Casebook by telling me which suspect he is writing about?

Cheers

Helena
      Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 07-28-2012, 04:14 PM.
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Charles LeGrand I understand...personally it's another one I'm looking forward to...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          Charles LeGrand I understand...personally it's another one I'm looking forward to...

All the best

Dave
          Oh brilliant, thanks, now I have to go and google that name ....

I take it this is Christian Briscony, alias Charles Le Grand, alias Grant, alias "French Colonel," alias Captain Anderson... king of blackmailers?

Helena
          Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 07-28-2012, 04:20 PM.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown
            I'm flabbergasted that anyone who has been involved with studying the Whitechapel Murders for 14 years and is cognizant of the fact that new discoveries are being "constantly made" in Ripperology, would even consider writing a book at this point in time promoting one person as the culprit above all others.

Back to The Other Place.....
            I've heard the release of my book might lead to an outbreak of genitalia mutilation in the Phili area. Would you care to comment?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Well, ahem......if'n I did start to cuttin' Herr Funstuka off, it would be over in a blink of the eye....sad to say.

Yours Truly
              Shorty

Comment

Not as quick as the end of my writing career once my book is published!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

How, be careful of what you wish. ;-) With talk like that, Patricia Cornwell might come along and claim you are the re-incarnation of Sickert, THEREFORE a true Ripper suspect, and then you'd really have to commit to the pledge you took at the other place.
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post

Tom Wescott
                    So, what did you mean by 'penultimate', Tom?

Helena

Comment

I must have used the word wrong. It just sounds like a good word.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Only 43% have said to find the identity of the Ripper while 19% said to savour the goriness and 19% said it's part of the study of east London.

Only one person said to study the victims.

Who is surprised by the results?

Comment

Hi Helena

I chose the goriness option because I couldn't resist it!

Sorry about that.

For me, its more about the social phenomenom that the Whitechapel Murders represented and continue to represent.

I suspect like almost everyone interested in the case, I think it would be fascinating to know 'whodunnit' - but I'm not convinced that's a very realistic prospect at this remove.

I think this is an interesting poll - thank you for posting it

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
                            Hi Helena

I chose the goriness option because I couldn't resist it!

I think this is an interesting poll - thank you for posting it
                            Well, I had to put something like that in, for a bit of humour. But nearly 20% of respondents chose that option - were they all joking?

You're welcome!

Helena

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                              Hi All,

Establish the facts in order to demythologise the case and arrive at the truth.

Regards,

Simon
                              I would agree with that philosophy completely Simon, searching for the truth is what keeps me going. There is little of what I would call "truth" on the table at the moment. It will be an orchestration of facts put together logically that finally opens those final doors though, not an easy answer like so many have been looking for. These cases are not linear events, they have tangential data that relates to the investigations, and without it, any proposed solution will sooner or later hit a brick wall.

Its a case made of Who/What/Where/When/Why and How....notice I put "How" last. Almost any semi skilled knifesman could have done the majority of the Unsolved Murders, and there were thousands within striking range. The wounds, (about which I see gather almost 17% of the interest of those that contribute on the boards here find most interesting about this study), are relevant but not empirical data. They are a component of the orchestra that plays the Tale of Jack the Ripper.

All my personal opinion of course, with no offense intended to anyone.
                              Michael Richards

Comment

Keep it simple - don’t assume that everyone in authority was a liar - remain open-minded - avoid conspiracy theory thinking - expect that the case will in all likelihood never be solved.

Comment

Working...
                                X