Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll What's the most important aspect of Ripperology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed, Helena. The guilt would do me in.

As for the voting, it's no big deal really. I think I remember reading something about certain restrictions on accounts until they post a minimum number of times (which in my mind is a good thing, considering trolls, spammers, etc.). I'll eventually get to whatever the minimum is, even if it takes me a couple of years at my current posting rate.
    Last edited by 007; 07-24-2012, 07:44 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
    Bond. Greg Bond

Comment

That Scott Nelson is 'savouring the bloodiness and goriness of the murders' actually made me laugh out loud.

I agree with most sentiments on this thread, though I'm flabbergasted that Helena - who has created more threads on the Casebook in one year than I have in 14 - has remained unaware that new discoveries are constantly being made in Ripperology. Just flabbergasted. But I appreciate the hard work she's put into George Chapman and hope her book is the penultimate Chapman-as-Ripper thesis.

I appreciate Paul's awaiting a study of Le Grand's life, but what he's more likely to get from me is a study of his life from about 1886 (when he was 33) on, because prior to that very little is known for certain. I'm less convinced than I used to be that Christian Nelson was Le Grand. But rest assured it will be amazing. My chapters on the victims might be of the most interest, though. I'm working a little every day on my book, and the new research I'm doing is slowing me down, but it's either take it slow or write just another generic Ripper book like everyone else at the moment, and that had never interested me.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
        I actually don't know very much about Ripperology, I didn't realise that new stuff was still coming to light.

I thought that in the case of Chapman, it was because not enough research had been done, which would not only uncover the truth but dispel the myths; whereas in the case of the Ripper, obviously millions of hours have been spent on every aspect of the case, leading me to think that there wasn't anything new to discover.

I stand corrected.

Maybe someone should make a new poll with better options than mine?
        There's nowt wrong with the options, just that the reason for my interest wasn't among them, that's all. It's a good poll.

Comment

Tom, get you book written, I want to read it
          Jenni
          “be just and fear not”

Comment

Hi Jenn. I'm working on it. Most of my Casebook posting is while I'm at my day job and can't write! I have to write a chapter from scratch three or four times before I like it. So far, I don't like anything I've written, but the substance of it is good.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Gawd! I didn't know you could read the names of the voters. My selection was a joke, of course. I want to know about the social conditions of Whitechapel that led to the murders. Like any sensible and caring person would.

Comment

Hi Scott, I think only yhr person who set it up can know that
                Jenni
                “be just and fear not”

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                  Establishing the facts - but that's not an option on the poll.
                  Absolutely.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Tom,
                    you are one of the Ripperologists whose book I would be genuinely excited to see was going to be published. I wasnt having a go - just trying to be encouraging

Jenni
                    “be just and fear not”

Comment

Hi Jenn. Thank you, and I didn't think you were having a go at all. If anyone says they want me to publish, I naturally assume they're telling the truth...well, maybe not Begg...but everyone else!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                        Gawd! I didn't know you could read the names of the voters. My selection was a joke, of course. I want to know about the social conditions of Whitechapel that led to the murders. Like any sensible and caring person would.
                        Sorry, Scott. "To savour the bloodiness and goriness of the murders" has already gone on your permanent Casebook record.

The one the government sees.

Archaic

Comment

....and after he was identified and he knew he was identified, no further jokes of this nature took place.

Nelson was the joker.

Comment

Yes, of course. Thank you, Miss Bunny.

Comment

Hello Helena,

I can't speak for the others who have been showing an interest in this game over two, three or four or five decades (or more) but I can tell you how I used to feel when as a young lad I was made aware of this piece of history.

i was introduced to it through my direct family, primarily my gran born in 1888 slap bang in the middle of it happening around her. Through Gran, I heard HER mother's words, her (much) older brother's and sisters words, and herwords too. Around 1967-68 I believe.

The first reaction I had that I can remember was disbelief. Over the next 10 years I sat and talked with Gran a great deal. We were driven around the area by Dad, and Gran's reactions to those trips were very emotional. She left the East End to live in West London in 1912. Going back now and again through the decades to see relatives, after around 1951 she didnt go back until Dad drove us around. She was sad mostly, but in one area she refused to get out of the car- she was shaking with fear- in broad daylight in an empty street. She explained a few years later that the feeling of fear of when she was a small kid came rushing back. If that was 1894- she would have been 6 years old.
                              So my interest started with the real reactions of the people- and my interest in the background started there. I suppose as a teenager must have wanted to solve the mystery at some point- but Dan Farson's book put me off that idea once and for all- I can still remember reading it and dismissing it as rubbish! I read it to Gran as I did with Knight's book and the reaction was of the kind that is littered with expletives and laughter. Of Knight's story, all she said was 'Gordon bleedin' Bennett ...'

She told of a rich mixture of life in the community. Of things and ways long gone now- of 'characters'-good and bad- of poverty and where the next item to light a fire came from. Of neighbours that really were neighbours. Of policemen on their beats. And visitors who stayed. Atmosphere-and fear.
                              I could go on. But won't. I just count myself very very lucky to have 'felt' the reality- not the 'Grandad sat me down one day and told me he'd "seen" Jack' stuff. Real life.

So the poll for me doesnt have my answer. Ive done all this for 44years for the poor bast*rds caught up in the middle of it all- for them. The people who went through merry hell- on top of actually trying to survive a bloody hard life. Local beat coppers too.

Good poll.

Best wishes

Phil
                              Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM.
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                              Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter
                                The first reaction I had that I can remember was disbelief.
                                And your words continue to inspire the same. Aren't family traditions great?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Meant purely in good-hearted fun, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X