Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll What's the most important aspect of Ripperology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll What's the most important aspect of Ripperology?

Curious to read your replies,

Helena
    To find the identity of Jack the Ripper
    36.67%
    To mull over the suspects with no goal
    0%
    To study the lives of the victims
    3.33%
    To study the plight of impoverished c19th women
    0%
    The social aspect of intellectual sparring
    0%
    As part of the study of criminology
    3.33%
    As part of the study of c19th east London
    26.67%
    As part of the study of abnormal psychology
    0%
    The fun of a "whodunit"
    16.67%
    To savour the bloodiness and goriness of the murders
    13.33%
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Communication.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

For me, it is learning more about human nature. Human behaviour in extreme situations. Extreme mindsets.

(Helena, did you intend this to be a poll where, at the beginning of the thread, the participant has to chose from some given answers? Then, you forgot to set that poll up ...)

Comment

I'd go with Jon's answer...on all levels...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
          Curious to read your replies,

Helena
          To be honest it's probably quite a bit the escape of the present day back to a time that resonates with horse hooves on cobblestone, rain and fog, windy mysterious streets, characters and outfits that seem to me to be of a theatrical nature and simpler approaches to life's problems.

It also reminds me of my grandparents who came from Ireland and Scotland but who carried with them many of the times expressions and beliefs. I feel comfortable there.

Admittedly, I tend to feel a certain pity for the Ripper. Like Frankenstein's monster I suspect he hadn't a friend to his name and was mentally debilitated and a victim of psychosis. I am constantly trying to decide if he chose to be evil or was reacting to what life did to him.

I wonder always what would God make of him. Can he be forgiven?

Comment

Originally posted by K-453 View Post
            For me, it is learning more about human nature. Human behaviour in extreme situations. Extreme mindsets.

(Helena, did you intend this to be a poll where, at the beginning of the thread, the participant has to chose from some given answers? Then, you forgot to set that poll up ...)
            Yes. Something seems to have gone wrong. I was thinking up a list of poll replies and somehow accidentally posted the thread without the poll!

Have added it now.

Helena
            Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Purgatory

Hello Helena. Thanks for starting this poll.

Even though I don't believe in "Jack the Ripper" I voted first option as I assumed it would include "to find out what really happened."

I wish I could have voted for a nobler option, but why lie? (heh-heh) I am driven by morbid curiosity--the kind for which good old St. Thomas would have sent me to Purgatory.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                Hello Helena. Thanks for starting this poll.

Even though I don't believe in "Jack the Ripper" I voted first option as I assumed it would include "to find out what really happened."

I wish I could have voted for a nobler option, but why lie? (heh-heh) I am driven by morbid curiosity--the kind for which good old St. Thomas would have sent me to Purgatory.

Cheers.
                LC

Hi Lynn

I didn't want to spend hours painstakingly wording the questions to include every nuance

Comment

I voted for the penultimate although #2 and #6 are aspects.
                  This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Admittedly, I tend to feel a certain pity for the Ripper. Like Frankenstein's monster I suspect he hadn't a friend to his name and was mentally debilitated and a victim of psychosis. I am constantly trying to decide if he chose to be evil or was reacting to what life did to him.
                    He seems to have made 'friends' quite easily Beowulf, but he only kept them for a few minutes.
                    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Establishing the facts - but that's not an option on the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                        Establishing the facts - but that's not an option on the poll.
                        Ditto. Surely everything else can then use that as a starting point.

Comment

I voted for the last option, because that's the first thing that attracts us to the case. What everybody knows about Jack the Ripper: He killed prostitutes in a very brutal way.

This is not the only reason to stick to it. May not even the main reason. But would that case be so interesting if it was about, say, environmental pollution?

Comment

Hi All,

Establish the facts in order to demythologise the case and arrive at the truth.

Regards,

Simon
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

aversion

Hello K. Permit me to disagree. I have an aversion to such trauma, so such gore NEVER attracted me to the WCM.

The only attraction for me is that someone (as I believed) could kill under the police's nose and get away with it.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X