Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
      Indeed

Monty
      Or Phil or Trev, for me, Neil! Have you quoted the wrong post?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
        Yes....yes, of course they aren't, Debs.
        If I've ever passed any of your research off as my own then just tell me Scott.

Comment

Debs,

The magazines aren't the problem, Don.

Thanks. And with that in mind, by not initially mentioning Ripperologist (where I have also been an editor) I was by no means suggesting its editors are not assidious also about assigning credit where due, because they are.

Don.
          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

A friend of mine works at Cern, a he says that there are two types of peer review, but the kind that doesn't involve beer isn't worth getting.

and to think I was worried about tiny swiss black holes.
            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

The problem lies with what other people think should be happening. There's nothing wrong with posting information on a message board or in a published article. If that's what the person wants to do, then who are we to argue?

And as for egos, I'm sure there is always a nice feel about having your work typesetted and presented in a profession manner for a wider audience, whether it be in a published book or in an e-zine. It doesn't mean you necessarily stomp around boasting about it.

JB

Comment

Debs, you should know by now that I just make everything up as I go along.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                  On the latest Rippercast (Episode 51), one discussed topic was the increasing role of the message boards in reporting new evidence about the case. Some of the panelists expressed the opinion that peer-reviewed journals (e.g., the Ripperologist) were more appropriate outlets for new knowledge. I sympathize with this view, however, the immediacy and the ability to reach a wider audience are advantages of utilizing social media such as these message boards. And so I go back and forth on this issue. If you discovered new facts about the case that weren't going to make you rich but were worthy of publication in outlets such as the Ripperologist, would you first prepare a manuscript or would you share your findings on these boards? Are the message boards enhancing or detracting from academic pursuits of the case?
                  Hello Barnaby

Well publishing your theory or new information in Ripperologist will most definitely not make you rich.

However, the point I was making on Rippercast 51 is that rather than jump the gun and stick your information on the message boards, you might think about it first and publish it in one of the magazines. We at Ripperologist would thereafter welcome discussion of the article and indeed posting of the same information on the message boards, if the authors so wish it.

This was the case, for example, with the excellent article by the I'ansons on suspect Jacob Levy that appears in our latest issue, Ripperologist 124 (about which people may contact me) -- the lengthy article appeared in our pages along with articles on the Aberconway version of Sir Melvin Macnaghten's famous memorandum and the Carnac book, etc., etc., for a total issue of some 160 pages. Whew. And now the article is being discussed and debated on the boards, as their article merits. The I'ansons waited for us to schedule the issue although they could have sprung their information on the boards. Publication in a magazine, whether ours or some other magazine (whether a Ripper magazine or a general or social history mag), makes much more sense than premiering it on the boards first.

That's the point we want to make, and that would be our preference. I personally don't see the point of putting substantial information on the boards first when you could have it published in a magazine of record. Now individual press reports on aspects of the case or, say, census returns that might not make for a full article are a different situation entirely. That is more of a "query" or almost, if you will, a "trivia" situation, and seems more appropriate to place on the board for discussion and debate, as warranted.

All the best

Chris George
                  Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 03-02-2012, 07:10 PM.
                  Christopher T. George
                  Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                  just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                  For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                  RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post

That's the point we want to make, and that would be our preference. I personally don't see the point of putting substantial information on the boards first when you could have it published in a magazine of record. Now individual press reports on aspects of the case or, say, census returns that might not make for a full article are a different situation entirely. That is more of a "query" or almost, if you will, a "trivia" situation, and seems more appropriate to place on the board for discussion and debate, as warranted.

All the best

Chris George
                    Message board threads, started from a simple census entry or new newspaper find can can quickly become 'substantial' in content and amount of new information. What is an article if not a series of these 'trivial' nuggets anyway?
                    In any case, I personally think it should be unacceptable to use information from either source, published in a magazine or to the boards, without giving credit or an acknowledgement to the original finder of the information.

Comment

Imo there should be one site dedicated to JtR - and this should be the Casebook - and one magazine - Ripp.
                      I enjoy Ripp, I must say, but to be honest, it shouldn't be a monthly publication imo. That's too much for that field, and it could be counter-productive, at last.

Stalin

Comment

DVV,

and one magazine - Ripp.

I beg to differ. Have you tried the New independent Review? And by the way, Ripperologist is bi-monthly.

Don Souden,
                        Executive Editor
                        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

jtrforums.com

Hello David. I'm sure Howard Brown is observing your recommendation with a bit of trepidation.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

New Independent Review

Hello Don. Et tu, Brute?

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

I didn't mean to criticize JTR Forums nor Don's review, of course.
                              But should this field be dedicated several forums and several reviews ?
                              J'ai vaguement l'impression qu'on est en train de tuer la poule aux oeufs d'or...

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                                DVV,

And by the way, Ripperologist is bi-monthly.

Don Souden,
                                Executive Editor
                                http://newindependentreview.com/
                                That's better. I'm currently renewing my subscription after a looooong time far from Ripp.

Comment

Working...
                                X