Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi David, mon ami

The more the merrier, I'd say.

A cute English phrase there. Is there a French equivalent?
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Stephen, must be "Plus on est de fous, plus on rit".
      Not exactly the same connotation, but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
        Now if it's an academic field, errrr.....the question is: is this field wide enough for several monthly or bi-monthly magazines, for several forums? My own academic field isn't tinier than ripperology (understatement), and it doesn't have several monthly or bi-monthly magazines. It's even not seriously conceivable.
        It's good to have 2 regular magazines appearing, it's the basic rule of competition keeping the editors honest. But it's my opinion that a tri-monthly publication for Ripper mags (as in 4 times a year) might be of greater benefit, both pertaining to the organisational and the quality aspect. Monthly or bi-monthly is too much in my opinion, resulting in the editors being desperate for articles, and the readership often not being able to keep up. At least people in their early 30s to 40s, who are busy building their career, won't find time to read all this. Personally I haven't even managed to read Examiner #4-#7, not even mentioning the latest Rip issues and the NIR.

In my own field (which is also small) there are dozens of international magazines, most of them appearing on a tri-monthly basis. I might have a look in the latest issues when visiting the library (to see “what the competition's doing“ ;-)), but I only subscribe to those free of charge who were pushed on me, and I only keep the issues spotting articles relevant to my own special field of work. The rest ends up donated to students or in the trash. If I were to start reading all this, there would be NO chance whatsoever to conduct research and prepare my own publications. Everybody's aware of this fact in academia: Magazine articles are written by the 30-40 year olds lot, and read by the 20 year olds lot (the students) and the 50-60 olds lot (the Profs approaching retirement). Might be enlightening to compare this to Ripperology.

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
        It's exciting when someone shares research information on the boards. There have been many. Stewart Evans is but one example. He has posted hundreds of unique items and bits of knowledge. Here's the trick though, how to find it again.
        What's worked for me so far: Subscribe to the threads containing relevant info, and keep notes in a Word document (which will end up as an article in some cases).
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
          Hi Stephen, must be "Plus on est de fous, plus on rit".
          Not exactly the same connotation, but that's it.
          Nice one, David

The madder one is the more one laughs?

Yes, not quite the same but hilarious nonetheless.
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

I do hope we won't see Ripperologists bumped off this year. Autumn of Terror? Who will be the first to go?

Regards

Tom Culling

Comment

Originally posted by Paul B
              No, more like: "Mary Kelly lost her heart. So can you - on Casebook."

Sorry.
              So. Very. Wrong. I like it!

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              I do hope we won't see Ripperologists bumped off this year. Autumn of Terror? Who will be the first to go?
              Ooh I want to get in on the action. I lay 4-1 odds I'll be the first and offed by August. The only problem is, how will I collect my winnings?

Let all Oz be agreed;
              I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                Nice one, David

The madder one is the more one laughs?
                Not exactly Stephen. "The more we are - we who are all crazy -, the more we laugh."

Comment

Ally, you're safe. David's whole idea is to slim the case down (too many Ripper sites, too many Ripper mags, and too many Ripperologists). He wouldn't create a scenario where there are too many suspects.

Comment

Working...
                  X