Before it's too late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Civil War version of the drone.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The oldest person in the U.K. was born in 1900. I wonder if she remembers the Camden Town Murder of 1907.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I once knew a lady who claimed her husband was descended from the Tudors.
        As a teenager I knew a park keeper, one George Bolingbroke, who claimed descent from John of Gaunt...the name was right I suppose, but who knows?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          The oldest person in the U.K. was born in 1900. I wonder if she remembers the Camden Town Murder of 1907.
          I remember crimes in the news when I was far younger than seven.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I remember the William Cook murder spree in the news when I four.

Stan Reid

Comment

I remember the William Cook murder spree in the news when I was four.

It was pretty scary for a kid that age too.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I was really surprised at the time that it took almost 2 years to execute Cook. Nowadays it usually takes more that 10 years

Stan Reid

Comment

• Back then, I was under the impression that convicted murderers were executed within a couple of weeks.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The British were better back then at sending convicts to a speedy execution.

Stan Reid

Comment

The British were better back then at sending convicts to a speedy execution.
                      Executions got slower and slower from the day of conviction, to within weeks to a couple of years to ,,,
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• The first murderer I can remember taking any notice of was Gunther Padola, the police killer who had a bout of amnesia following his arrest. He was captured in July 1959 and I have very clear memories of his face, with a huge black eye, on the front page of the newspaper.
                        The black eye was of course caused by a door hitting his face during his arrest! He went to trial in mid-July 1959 and was hanged on Guy Fawkes day, the 5th November.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          The first murderer I can remember taking any notice of was Gunther Padola, the police killer who had a bout of amnesia following his arrest. He was captured in July 1959 and I have very clear memories of his face, with a huge black eye, on the front page of the newspaper.
                          The black eye was of course caused by a door hitting his face during his arrest! He went to trial in mid-July 1959 and was hanged on Guy Fawkes day, the 5th November.
                          Where as by the mid 60s 2 years was about the norm.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Though the last executions in England [Aug 1964] were only about 4 months after the crimes.
                            G U T

Comment

I was really surprised at the time that it took almost 2 years to execute Cook. Nowadays it usually takes more that 10 years
                              G'day Stan

It actually only took a year.

He was convicted and sentenced Nov '51 executed Dec '52. He had previously been sentenced to about 250 years [from memory] for some of the crimes. seem to recall that there were different jurisdictions involved so it needed a couple of trials.
                              G U T

Comment

• It seems the length between sentencing and hanging was quite arbitrary sometimes, though. Henry Burnett, the last man to be hanged in Scotland, (in Aberdeen) died only a fortnight after he was sentenced to death, in July 1963.

Allen and Evans, the last murderers to hang in Britain, were sentenced in July 1964 and were executed in August of that year. Of course Britain doesn't have courts in State jurisdictions to worry about.

The last man to be executed in Australia, Robert Ryan, hanged because the Premier of Victoria at the time (1967) was determined that he would.

Comment

Working...
                                X