No announcement yet.

Before it's too late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think 1965 is sort of seen as the beginning the modern era too. It was the year modern rock totally replaced all that came before and the year that the sexual revolution replaced the baby boom because the pill first became generally available as well as the end of the death penalty ending in Britain. The early 60s were a lot more like the late 50s than they were like the late 60s. Apparently WWII threw everything off by half a decade.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
      Yes, even Jack the Ripper started one. On The Strand apparently.
      ... and a grand agency that was!

Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        I think 1965 is sort of seen as the beginning the modern era too. It was the year modern rock totally replaced all that came before and the year that the sexual revolution replaced the baby boom because the pill first became generally available as well as the end of the death penalty ending in Britain.
        Also, the legal end to racial segregation here in the U.S.

Stan Reid

Comment

I think 1965 is sort of seen as the beginning the modern era too. It was the year modern rock totally replaced all that came before and the year that the sexual revolution replaced the baby boom because the pill first became generally available as well as the end of the death penalty ending in Britain. The early 60s were a lot more like the late 50s than they were like the late 60s. Apparently WWII threw everything off by half a decade.
          The decades got back in sync in 1980. Thankfully, the Disco-Jimmy Carter "decade" could only last for 5 years.

Stan Reid

Comment

Well back then, private detectives were more glamorous. Now, I think of them mostly sitting in vans trying to get pictures of cheating wives or husbands.
            Or, sifting the internet for dirt.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I wonder when Abberline first came into contact with Pinkerton's.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I don't even know when Pinkerton's went international.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I expect it was before the 1890s.

Stan Reid

Comment

• G'Day Stan

I do know that in about 2000 or 2001 Pinkerton's donated a lot of paperwork to the Library (Either National Library or Library of Congress). It was about the time they were taken over.

GUT
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I hope all that has been indexed or at least will be.

Stan Reid

Comment

• G'Day Stan

I really don't know but I imagine eventually they will.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I would assume that it's a pretty substantial mass of paper.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I would also assume that the papers are already in some sort of order.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Pinkerton's goes back to 1850 and as far as 1843 if you count Allan's brother Robert's railroad detective company.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I wonder if Abberline's dossier is in there.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X