No announcement yet.

Before it's too late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinkerton's is known for keeping pretty good records.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Pinkerton's files were supposedly used in the foundation of the FBI.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally it was the BOI for Bureau Of Investigation.

Stan Reid

Comment

• It was founded in 1908.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The BOI/FBI also had ties with the William J. Burns International Detective Agency since Burns was its director in the early 1920s, right before J. Edgar Hoover took over. I think that Burns might have been in the Secret Service at the time of the Ripper murders.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Burns actually joined the Secret Service in 1889. In 1888, I'm pretty sure he was a member of the Furlong Detective Agency.

Stan Reid

Comment

• As best I can find, Furlong had no U.K. presence in 1888.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I don't know any truly international detective agency other than Pinkerton's during the Ripper period.

Stan Reid

Comment

• In the late 19th Century, starting your own private detective agency seemed to have been quite the thing.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Especially among the criminal tendencies Stan (and I'm thinking Tom's man here)...which perhaps is why, to this day, the profession isn't particularly well regarded...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                        In the late 19th Century, starting your own private detective agency seemed to have been quite the thing.
                        Am I right in thinking Abberline went down this road?
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• As I recall, Abberline became a Pinkerton agent but I don't know whether he eventually started his own firm.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                            In the late 19th Century, starting your own private detective agency seemed to have been quite the thing.
                            Yes, even Jack the Ripper started one. On The Strand apparently.
                            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Well back then, private detectives were more glamorous. Now, I think of them mostly sitting in vans trying to get pictures of cheating wives or husbands.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I guess that's why many modern private detective presentations concern the era before 1965. It might also have something to do with the drama of the death penalty in Britain.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X