No announcement yet.

What was withheld??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have evidence that there are records that were, and still are, withheld from publication, we dont need some physical evidence theory to validate that claim. There were investigations made into these killings by the active Intelligence Organizations such as the Home Office and Special Branch and there are lots of documents within those archives that have been identified as ones that relate to the Ripper crimes...all unseen by the public.

Some have tried unsuccessfully to have them made available.

Cheers
    Michael Richards

Comment

• Some have tried unsuccessfully to have them made available.
      And the perennial question, why won't they release them 125 years later. The claim to protect informants just doesn't ring true to me.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• It borders on the ridiculous.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I can't think of any legitimate reason anything should be kept secret more than about 80 years.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hi All,

Perhaps it could just be a case that they didnt know.

It is true that the police were reticent in giving information to the press, which I think was a mistake that is not made today.

But that there was with held information that pointed to the killer I think is fanciful.

If you look at it, a number of high ranking and not so high ranking gave their views on who was the ripper, but they were looking in retrospect, and not on with held evidence.

I think evidence has been lost, but not with held.

Comment

• I too wonder why they're not releasing some of the files. I can see where that line of reasoning would come from, that if informants know their names will be divulged a few generations from now that they may be less inclined to come forward. On the other hand, what consequences could come from it to anyone alive?

If an informant or even the Ripper himself was related to someone who is alive today and can be traced back to them, I can't see anyone caring very much. The most that could happen would be that those descendants would be asked about family lore or get a mild amount of curiosity. Would anyone seriously have a vendetta against someone else because of what someone else did over 100 years ago? I doubt most criminal rings that the informants could have gotten in trouble with then are still around now, and even if they are, I don't think that information provided by the informants about other cases would need to be released if it risked anyone's safety.

I guess there's a slim chance that a suspect or informant could have had children who are alive but very old today. A guy who was 18 in 1888 could have had children in the 1930s when he was in his 60s. It just doesn't seem very likely to me.

Originally posted by Hatchett View Post
              Hi All,

Perhaps it could just be a case that they didnt know.

It is true that the police were reticent in giving information to the press, which I think was a mistake that is not made today.

But that there was with held information that pointed to the killer I think is fanciful.

If you look at it, a number of high ranking and not so high ranking gave their views on who was the ripper, but they were looking in retrospect, and not on with held evidence.

I think evidence has been lost, but not with held.
              To the best of my knowledge, which could be wrong, I think that police nowadays sometimes keep certain details about the case confidential as a way to verify the suspects. That way, if someone confesses to the crime they can check if that person simply read about the case somewhere and may be lying because they may get those details wrong. If someone confesses (even unwittingly) and get those details right, then it's likely that they have insider knowledge about the case. These can be small things about the crime scene, things that only someone who was at the scene would know.

I don't know if it was done at the time, but I believe that's what sdreid was asking about. What kind of details could they have kept to themselves in case they had to verify the killer?
              Last edited by Mondegreen; 05-02-2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Hi,

That is true, but eventually these things are released. At the time of the ripper murders there was a clear divide between the Police and the Press. That was why the Press were forced to make up so much stuff in order to progress the story.

I think you have answered your own question on the supposed with held files. There is absolutely no reason that they should be with held, if they exist, except for the view that they offer nothing new.

My view is the same.

The Police just did not know who the killer was.
                Last edited by Hatchett; 05-02-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• My question was a rhetorical question. I agree, I don't think there's a reason to hold them back. I guess we'll see again in a few years. By then it'll be even less likely that anyone who could have known anyone involved in the investigation would still be alive, so perhaps they'll be more open to releasing the information.

I'm aware of the divide between the Police and the Press. Yes, those things are eventually released, but in this case it's clear that they haven't.

I agree, the Police didn't know who the killer was. If they did (which I don't find likely) maybe they just had a very strong suspect but no strong enough evidence to go after him. I don't think I argued otherwise in my post.

Comment

• Hi

No, you didnt. I didnt intend any critism at all.

Best wishes.

Comment

• Cross Borders

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                      It borders on the ridiculous.
                      G'day Stan

It has crossed the border, it is ridiculous to claim that informants 100 years ago, or their family,could be bn danger. What a joke.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Maybe it is protecting the Crown. Sorry.

Comment

• Maybe they're just amusing themselves watching people discuss endlessly and talk about why the files won't be released.

Maybe it's the reverse of a Crown conspiracy. They want people to believe that the Ripper was a member of the Royal Family so they'll have a bad impression of them.

Maybe the files are covered in doodles and gossipy notes passed between investigators during long meetings and that would make them look unprofessional.

(I'm joking.)

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            G'day Stan

It has crossed the border, it is ridiculous to claim that informants 100 years ago, or their family,could be bn danger. What a joke.
                            And, they think we're dumb enough to buy it.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Mondegreen View Post
                              Maybe they're just amusing themselves watching people discuss endlessly and talk about why the files won't be released.
                              I'm not so sure that isn't a part of it.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Maybe they're waiting for a kickback.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X