Appeal for missing documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
    I remember a couple of years back I was researching a case where the killer left a letter ( Tremble case 1876) to be found after he killed himself. I went to the archives and found it was missing.

By a bit of sleuthing I found out that the last person to see it was a University professor some twenty years before. I contacted her and casually mentioned that I noticed the letter she had been working on was now missing.

The following week it mysteriously re-appeared in the files!!
    Initially I thought to my self who in their right mind would hold onto JTR material intentially and thought this was a crummy idea but after reading Bob Hintons (Above) story and something that happened to me about three months ago I think it could actually work:

Dont worry I will try to keep this short....

I was researching my family tree recently and could not find any info on my dads brother who sadley died at about three months. I have spent years trying. My father was going through some stuff and what drops out, an old baptism certificate for this individual. I entered the birth info into my tree half happy now and it was only when I went to put it away I noticed some writting in pencil on the back. My Grandmother had written every date from start to finish including times, places and names about his short life on the back of the certificate. As you can imagine I was very happy and he has now gone from the most incomplete person on my tree to the most complete person on my tree.

Comment

The handwriting from that time can be very hard to read by modern people (and BTW, did you know there are schools that aren't even drilling students in cursive script anymore? They give them the rudimentary level for one grade, then let them go their own way. Some educators have said it's a "useless" skill, now.) (!)

But, my point being, if there is correspondence or anything that was lifted from files at one point by an ancestor, there's the chance a contemporary person could glance at it, and barely be able to read it...therefore having no idea what the papers are. Not just that they might know nothing about the case...but that the papers could be illegible to them. (Not to mention the state any papers might be in now, that weren't carefully shut away.)

Comment

But, my point being, if there is correspondence or anything that was lifted from files at one point by an ancestor, there's the chance a contemporary person could glance at it, and barely be able to read it...therefore having no idea what the papers are. Not just that they might know nothing about the case...but that the papers could be illegible to them. (Not to mention the state any papers might be in now, that weren't carefully shut away.)

I think the best bet is material that has been forgotten for a couple of generations. Large, older, houses often has considerable attic/loft space which was used as lumber room. If grandfather's papers were put away there and have not been looked at since (this assumes continuous habitation of the property by the same family) then the material might be intact.

The task of any "campaign" would need to be to inspire people to open old trunks, suitcases etc that have been put away to see whether they contain manuscripts or papers of any value. Our targets ought to be, in my view, retired (especially Met or City of London) policemen or their dependants, and those who might have had dealings with them.

If Swanson's reports and other documents I have seen are anything to go by, the copper-plate handwriting is itself impressive and mazingly legible.

Phil

Comment

Missing documents

Hello Phil,

Yes, exactly - apologise for my lack of input, been battling my nemesis for some days and not able to do much!

I wonder which of the suggestions would be most successful? An appeal on a television channel would, it seems, reach the most people - at least in the u.k.

The Bigwigs are not showing a great deal of interest as yet, except for Bob Hinton. Not firing on all cylinders yet but will try the direct approach soonest.

Best wishes,
          C4

P.S. Havenīt managed to get a copy of your book yet, Bob, but will be coming to the u.k. in July and hope to remedy this then. Also planning a visit to the Ten Bells - looking forward to that immensely, so donīt say I`ll be disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by fanoofez View Post
            I'd suggest getting the BBC's The One Show interested. As a five day a week, prime-time magazine show, they use up material at a cracking rate and they would always be looking for new things to produce five minute features on. It sounds like the sort of thing that Giles Brandreth would be interested in, as he often covers the historical stories.

If the feature focused on the archived documents and appealed for the return of any missing ones, it might peak some interest.
            Have now sent an e-mail to The One Show to see if they would be interested in taking this up. Stating that the request was from me personally - not sanctioned by The Casebook and asking anyone who found anything to return it to the National Archives.
            Regards,
            C4

Comment

Working...
            X