Appeal for missing documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appeal for missing documents

Can anyone suggest a way for a general appeal to anyone who is in possession of ANY offical documents to do with the Whitechapel Murders to return them? It could well be that there are some tucked away in attics or old uncle Charlie`s chest which no-one has bothered to open etc etc and that whoever has them is unaware of their importance.

I believe that many went missing when the files were opened and they must be somewhere.

Any ideas welcome.

Curiously yours,
    C4

What about Facebook and other social network sites?

Twitter?

An advert in the London "Times", Daily Telegraph and Guardian might attract descendents of the top police officials and civil servants.

Any chance of getting a TV programme involved?

Or someone in the media or a professional journalist, who might be able to place an article or an item on the media?

What about the History Channel or whatever it's called now? I recall a programme decades ago which urged people to check their attics for lost treasures (the one I recall is an alleged manuscript of TE Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" said to have been lost on Reading Station). If you could create a national sensation then people might get looking, or recall that old suitcase of uncle Bill's!

You would certainly need to go wider than JtR channels as those with the relevant papers might well be unlikely to have an interest, but might pick up a notice or mention elsewhere.
    Last edited by Phil H; 05-26-2011, 05:53 PM. Reason: to add a sentence or two.

Comment

My original thought was to suggest putting together some sort of fund or incentive scheme for the return of missing documents, but then the down side of doing that is that it encourages rogues to put forward falsified documents for the sake of money or notoriety - or both.

So i'm with Phil in that social media is definitely the best way forward, getting the message out there via as many channels as possible. No doubt at some point in the future researchers will stumble across previously unseen documents, just by accident, as it has happened in the past.

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
        What about Facebook and other social network sites?

Twitter?

An advert in the London "Times", Daily Telegraph and Guardian might attract descendents of the top police officials and civil servants.

Any chance of getting a TV programme involved?

Or someone in the media or a professional journalist, who might be able to place an article or an item on the media?

What about the History Channel or whatever it's called now? I recall a programme decades ago which urged people to check their attics for lost treasures (the one I recall is an alleged manuscript of TE Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" said to have been lost on Reading Station). If you could create a national sensation then people might get looking, or recall that old suitcase of uncle Bill's!

You would certainly need to go wider than JtR channels as those with the relevant papers might well be unlikely to have an interest, but might pick up a notice or mention elsewhere.
        Thanks Phil (and Adam),

Not a twitterer and I`m not sure how to go about it on Facebook, but History channel and/or perhaps Discovery and National Geographic sounds like a good idea. I will try to put together an e-mail (or letter) - perhaps we could call it The Other Jack The Ripper mystery lol. Anyone else with ideas?

Best wishes,
        C4

Comment

Curious

Not a twitterer and I`m not sure how to go about it on Facebook...

But there may be other casebook members who are. Could you not seek advice from them?

...but History channel and/or perhaps Discovery and National Geographic sounds like a good idea.

My limited experience with the media suggests strongly that if possible you need a go-between who is already engaged, or someone known, in order to make an impact.

What about those involved in the recent C4 documentary - might they have contacts, and perhaps be able to use that programme as a spring-board?

I will try to put together an e-mail (or letter) - perhaps we could call it The Other Jack The Ripper mystery lol. Anyone else with ideas?

You may know much more about these things than I, but I would not have thought an unsolicited "e-mail" would do, unless it strikes some chord because of other things in train.

I think a co-ordinated campaign, with an over-arching handling strategy is what is needed if you want to be effective. After all, prominent Facebook sites often attract attention from the media. If you could recruit known authors (with a proven reputation - like SPE, Rumbleow, Begg, Fido etc) - what about a letter to the Times and Telegraph?

How about focusing on "Crimewatch" (is that still done by the BBC?) as a sort of "amusing" item?

Are there newsletters to older police officers, now retired: official or unofficial - they might publish a letter or an article and it might reach those who had access to the files in the past and their families.

Are there any avenues through the National Archibes at Kew - reaching out to researchers etc?

Just a few more ideas and observations.

Phil

Comment

Curious

But there may be other casebook members who are. Could you not seek advice from them?

...but History channel and/or perhaps Discovery and National Geographic sounds like a good idea.

My limited experience with the media suggests strongly that if possible you need a go-between who is already engaged, or someone known, in order to make an impact.

What about those involved in the recent C4 documentary - might they have contacts, and perhaps be able to use that programme as a spring-board?

I will try to put together an e-mail (or letter) - perhaps we could call it The Other Jack The Ripper mystery lol. Anyone else with ideas?

You may know much more about these things than I, but I would not have thought an unsolicited "e-mail" would do, unless it strikes some chord because of other things in train.

I think a co-ordinated campaign, with an over-arching handling strategy is what is needed if you want to be effective. After all, prominent Facebook sites often attract attention from the media. If you could recruit known authors (with a proven reputation - like SPE, Rumbleow, Begg, Fido etc) - what about a letter to the Times and Telegraph?

How about focusing on "Crimewatch" (is that still done by the BBC?) as a sort of "amusing" item?

Are there newsletters to older police officers, now retired: official or unofficial - they might publish a letter or an article and it might reach those who had access to the files in the past and their families.

Are there any avenues through the National Archibes at Kew - reaching out to researchers etc?

Phil
            Hello Phil,

Yes you are right - I was hoping to get a name on said channels and write direct, but your ideas are much better. Unfortunately I am exiled in the frozen north and don´t have access to british tv or anything much at all. Crimewatch is a brilliant idea but there again access. (since the beeb got so profit conscious).

However, I will see what I can do in those areas you suggest - and what I can come up with. Hope you are able to do the same!

Best wishes,
            C4

Comment

Curious

Phil
              Hello all,

Is there an internet/Facebook expert out there who knows how to put out an appeal for missing documents? If you can it might well lead to something turning up and would definitely get you a mention in any new books if you come up with anything. Also anyone living in England who would be prepared to contact Crimewatch (or whatever it is called these days) who could well decide to take it up in a slow week. It is very difficult to see much on british television abroad - we are limited to the shows they want to send and has more repeats than a sardine sandwich - in other words the absolute worst! Try to get anything on the internet and we get told that as we live abroad we are not allowed to see this program.

I will definitely try writing to the channels I previously mentioned (one at a time).

Best wishes,
              C4
              Last edited by curious4; 05-31-2011, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I'd suggest getting the BBC's The One Show interested. As a five day a week, prime-time magazine show, they use up material at a cracking rate and they would always be looking for new things to produce five minute features on. It sounds like the sort of thing that Giles Brandreth would be interested in, as he often covers the historical stories.

If the feature focused on the archived documents and appealed for the return of any missing ones, it might peak some interest.

Comment

fanoofez - I think that's an inspired idea. Big reach, prime time.

I'd suggest tho' getting one of the JtR "bigwigs" involved - Rumbelow, SPE, Begg etc who could be interviewed and speak with authority. Rumbelow and SPE are ex-coppers aren't they so could probably also address how the records were kept and why some may have been taken.

Phil

Comment

I'd suggest tho' getting one of the JtR "bigwigs" involved - Rumbelow, SPE, Begg etc who could be interviewed and speak with authority. Rumbelow and SPE are ex-coppers aren't they so could probably also address how the records were kept and why some may have been taken.

Phil
                    Hi Curious4,
                    Your idea is an extremely good one and I wish you success. I think Phil H's idea is really excellent, as interest in criminal mysteries is very widespread. Television is definitely the best way to get as many people as possible wondering if they have something of importance 'hidden' in their attic!
                    Love
                    Carol

Comment

fanoofez - I think that's an inspired idea. Big reach, prime time.

Phil
                      Hello Phil,

Yes this had occurred to me, so hallo Bigwigs! Will you put your weight behind this and help us amateurs? After all, we all buy your books!

Great idea fanoofez!

Best wishes,
                      C4

Comment

Missing documents

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                        Can anyone suggest a way for a general appeal to anyone who is in possession of ANY offical documents to do with the Whitechapel Murders to return them? It could well be that there are some tucked away in attics or old uncle Charlie`s chest which no-one has bothered to open etc etc and that whoever has them is unaware of their importance.

I believe that many went missing when the files were opened and they must be somewhere.

Any ideas welcome.

Curiously yours,
                        C4
                        I remember a couple of years back I was researching a case where the killer left a letter ( Tremble case 1876) to be found after he killed himself. I went to the archives and found it was missing.

By a bit of sleuthing I found out that the last person to see it was a University professor some twenty years before. I contacted her and casually mentioned that I noticed the letter she had been working on was now missing.

The following week it mysteriously re-appeared in the files!!

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                          History channel and/or perhaps Discovery and National Geographic sounds like a good idea.
                          What strikes me is that those are kind of high end chanels that have educated viewers who are already sensitive to culture. Would one of their viewers be the type who'd be in the possession of stolen historic artifacts?

On the other hand, they ARE the type of people who've probably preserved their great-grandparents possessions, and family archives, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
                            By a bit of sleuthing I found out that the last person to see it was a University professor some twenty years before. I contacted her and casually mentioned that I noticed the letter she had been working on was now missing. The following week it mysteriously re-appeared in the files!!
                            Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Score!!

Comment

This link might be of interest:

A group devoted to the appreciation of vintage television is calling on TV watchers to search their attics for recordings of British programmes feared lost.

At least it shows that appeals by "interested groups" can attract attention.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X