No announcement yet.

occupational nomenclatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's an essay by Robert Louis Stevenson describing an incident in which a man falls off a roof in Edinburgh and is badly injured. At the hospital he gives his occupation as 'Tapper'. Not knowing what this means, the hospital staff quiz him further and he tells them that a Tapper is someone employed by roofers to make banging noises in order to mislead the householders when the roofers are in the pub. He says it's pleasant work except when there's a big job on and he has to mimic the sound of loads of workers.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Grinder dealer

Could this be one who supplies grinding equipment e.g. to knife and scissor sharpeners?

Best wishes,
      Steve.

Comment

**** finder?

I realize that I am handicapped by a natural immaturity, but there are not many Victorian books that can make me giggle. I am assuming that since urban horticulture was commonplace, it has something to do with wayward fowl. The edit is to point out that I am apparently not the only one. Dave
        Last edited by protohistorian; 07-17-2010, 11:09 PM. Reason: commentary
        We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

hair merchant?

Not to be confused with horsehair merchant. I have it placed in retail, but I am curious as to the type of hair being sold. Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Horsehair was often used in the upholstery of chairs, although today we would probably use foam rubber. As for human hair I guess this might have been used for making wigs.

Hope this helps.

Rgds
            John
            (Never mind the Fish - the answer was 42)

Comment

Thanks John. The horesehair I get,and it has a specified nomenclature. The hair merchant, puzzles me? Why not specify? Dave

Comment

another one for my curiosity

Colour men? There were 2 and both are co-located with oilmen. Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Colour man = a man who makes paint, often oil based. Thus Artists Colour man is one who makes paint for artists.

Rgds
                  John

Comment

Thanks John! The area is more interesting every day!

Comment

Working...
                    X