I really hate how many people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really hate how many people...

say they like Jack the Ripper and know who he is, without really knowing about him or anything.

Like a friend of mine's friend told him that I was doing a short film on Jack the Ripper and the friend said that "That's his favorite slasher/serial killer," yet doesn't know anything about him other then he killed women in London.

Who here has had that or have met people like this?
    Scarlett (2010) (Completed)

Witness a modernized retelling of London's most gruesome mutilation, the murder of Mary Jane Kelly at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw59rvBDUGs - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM64vWkLQ - Part 2

There are thousand's of them on Facebook, in fact, many of us joined a group called "I Love Jack the Ripper" and complained so much about the name they changed it!!

You get people signing the Facebook JTR pages with "I heart Jack" and other ramblings, but when asked what they know, they vanish into the air, or start waxing lyrical about some top hatted toff who was either a doctor or a royal!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTaleProductions View Post
      say they like Jack the Ripper and know who he is, without really knowing about him or anything.

Like a friend of mine's friend told him that I was doing a short film on Jack the Ripper and the friend said that "That's his favorite slasher/serial killer," yet doesn't know anything about him other then he killed women in London.

I really haven't had that many experiences that come to mind but I just wanted to say that I love your siggy line!! Conan all the way

Comment

Its not just a JTR thing. I think its a function of the modern concept of bite size information. For example I have a more than marginal interest in the SS Titanic - suddenly after the Kate Winslett film came out a few years ago EVERYONE was an expert. Its the same with Jack and doubtless many other subjects, people see something on the telly or read a mass market book and think that they know it all. In actual fact, of course, you can study it for a lifetime and still come up with new info. as, indeed many people on these boards find. Fascinating innit!?

Comment

Ted Bundy got married during his last trial. Richard Ramirez (the Night Stalker) had a whole harem of groupies and married one of them in prison who has stated that she will kill herself if and when he is executed. The more prominent serial killers seem to garner such admirers for some dark and twisted psychological reason. It seems no different with Jack, even though he is long dead.

Comment

Speaking for myself, it was a stage I went through before I had a larger understanding of events and the situation. In my case, it was my starting point, and as such marked the beginning of the maturation process regarding my understanding. Respectfully Dave
            We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
              There are thousand's of them on Facebook, in fact, many of us joined a group called "I Love Jack the Ripper" and complained so much about the name they changed it!!

You get people signing the Facebook JTR pages with "I heart Jack" and other ramblings, but when asked what they know, they vanish into the air, or start waxing lyrical about some top hatted toff who was either a doctor or a royal!
              Ah the love of the internet, eh Mike? I know a lot of people who still believe, no joke, that the Royal Family was involved and that they know who the Ripper was. Oh and also those who read Ivor's book on The Ripper and black magic and are firm believers and "experts" who say that 100% the case is closed.

Oh and last but not least, you can't forget those who jump onto the bandwagon with Miss Cornwell claiming Sickert was Jack. (Whenever I tell my friends who believe this that all of the letters are believed to be hoaxes thats the brilliant moment. Mostly because they cannot move or speak for minutes after running their mouths about how Sickert HAD to be the Ripper).

Regards,
              Justin
              They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I really haven't had that many experiences that come to mind but I just wanted to say that I love your siggy line!! Conan all the way
                Haha, yeah this is really depressing that it has come to a sad end. I've watched Conan for 10 years now. Hopefully, you caught last night's episode, that was one of the best in my opinion. With Robin Williams singing the Irish song and Conan's "End of the Show" Song coming on.
                Scarlett (2010) (Completed)

Witness a modernized retelling of London's most gruesome mutilation, the murder of Mary Jane Kelly at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw59rvBDUGs - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM64vWkLQ - Part 2

Comment

I hate all that nonsense too.

I'm also convinced that most of the general population think that Jack was either....

a) a fictional character like Dracula
                  b) real, and was definately a member of the royal family

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
                    Ted Bundy got married during his last trial. Richard Ramirez (the Night Stalker) had a whole harem of groupies and married one of them in prison who has stated that she will kill herself if and when he is executed. The more prominent serial killers seem to garner such admirers for some dark and twisted psychological reason. It seems no different with Jack, even though he is long dead.
                    Peter Sutcliffe, apparently, has many female admirers.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse
                      Peter Sutcliffe, apparently, has many female admirers.
                      Sure as heck ain't the haircut.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

or his behavior. Respectfully Dave
                        We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

its the age of consensus opinion! so if jack the ripper is commonly percieved as looking a bit like Dracula in a top hat then thats what he was, you have got to respect everybodies opinions you know,personally I prefer Dawkins take on it, he said you dont have to respect all opinions, it is possible for them to be simply wrong! I have had a myriad of experience with people like that, and if suddenly Jack becomes incredibly popular for some reason, so will you all.he he

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                            you have got to respect everybodies opinions you know,personally I prefer Dawkins take on it, he said you dont have to respect all opinions, it is possible for them to be simply wrong
                            Hi Martin

And he's quite right (in MY opinion).
                            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

There's this guy I work with that believes wholeheartedly that Dr. Tumblety was Jack the Ripper. That would be perfectly fine with me if he could argue his case. When asked why he thinks so, it's because he saw it on the History Channel. That's it. No other proof. Just because he saw it on t.v.

Best Wishes,
                              Erynn

Comment

Working...
                              X