Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes, a clear the air thing helps.. will this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right

Hello Phil. Gullibility is right. I don't see how the Maybrick Diary and the Royal/Freemason theories have survived (I just watched the "From Hell" movie, oh dear!). But these are the theories that sell books and movies, as you so rightly point out.

Do you think the purloiners did their deeds because the material would become valuable or as keepsakes?

The best.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
      Phil, the point is that the information was not withheld by Bond or Hebbert like you say, but freely given for publication in a book, hardly a cover up to keep the information secret then? It makes no difference how obscure or popular that book would have been at the time, the details of MJK's heart being taken were included. It was discovered after 1987 yes, but it's been available for anyone to discover it since at least 1900.

Like others have already said, and I agree, it's understandable that the information was kept from the press at the time, and it wasn't the only case either, certain details of Elizabeth Jackson's mutilations in 1889 were also kept from the press at the time of her murder.
      Hello Debs,
      Thanks for the reply.
      A System of Legal Medicine [Volume 1] was published in late 1894 and reviewed in the New England Medical Gazette in January 1895.Volume 2 came along a little later I believe.

AGREED. The information was in plain sight, yet nobody knew about it until recently after research. And because of its obscurity, nobody in England at least would have thought of looking in that Gazette.

I cannot argue with the witholding of info by the police, no. But Bagster Philllips certainly didn't mention it, and had it not been for the Bond papers in 1987, would we have been alerted to looking for it anywhere else?
      Many have commented upon Bagster Phillips actions that day were strange. Whether he was asked to NOT let this info out, by stopping the jury asking any questions, is another matter. But I will concede the point of the heart info being witheld by the police for a reason.

I have no problem holding up my hands if I am wrong. Thank you Debs for helping me .

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Hello Phil. Gullibility is right. I don't see how the Maybrick Diary and the Royal/Freemason theories have survived (I just watched the "From Hell" movie, oh dear!). But these are the theories that sell books and movies, as you so rightly point out.

Do you think the purloiners did their deeds because the material would become valuable or as keepsakes?

The best.
        LC
        Hello Lynn,
        Thanks again for the reply.

As you say, they sell books and movies. Sensationalism sells.

Some would even say these boards contain sensationalism. This little rant of mine might even be called that by some. Come to think of it it probably won't be long before that accusation gets thrown my way, but I have nothing to gain from it, so it would be pointless to say it.

The difference is simple. I am asking for some openess and honesty. It will get on some people's nerves that I do it. So? What harm does it do except get the idea into people's heads that not all of us are fooled and not all of us think the game is funny any more.

As you can see on the above posting, I have no problem conceding. But the points NOBODY dare argue with are there and some people know why, who and when.

As for those purloiners from the 1970's/80's, they might have been doing it with a book in mind, but as it can take 10 years for a book, then that theory is thin now. Maybe they just wanted a piece of JTR History. I don't know.

What I do know is that the papers went missing from the very start, (I read somewhere that there were 1600 papers known by Abberline to be in his dept files...). And that Bond report, according to what I have been told, wasn't there in the 1970's when the first researchers gained access. (As far as we know.....)

best wishes

Phil
        Last edited by Phil Carter; 11-29-2009, 03:42 AM. Reason: revision
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil,
          While I see no neccessity for a cover up concerning the victims,I do agree to your general idea of a conspiracy of sorts.I know only too well,from my own experiences,that conspiracy at all levels,has been,and still is, more widely practised than many want to believe,and the law enforcement agencies are no exception.

'Not in the public interest to know',is a well used explanation,and if the public is'nt told,then usually, someone somewhere has conspired not to tell them,or so it appears to me,and that too is my experience.

Comment

Hello Harry,
            Thank you for your reply,

The conspiracy word is, I admit, something I try to avoid. However, it is difficult to give a correct terminology to such a varied set of things that I call simply wrong.
            As I said in my earlier posting, if the combined brains of thousands upon thousands of people, genuinely interested in furthering this case towards some sort of answers, (and that is shown by the infinate amount of trying on the merest possibility of every part of every situation on these boards), and it gets us all nowhere...then... we are either all wasting our time, or, it is about time some people came clean. Because there are people around who know more than they say. Its all a game. And I think that the younger generation deserve better than to be led on into joining the rest of us having been led down one garden path after another over many many years.

Yes Harry, it does happen. In all walks of society. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. But honesty now and again is a good thing. After 121 years, I think the next generation deserve some.

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
              Hello Debs,
              Thanks for the reply.
              A System of Legal Medicine [Volume 1] was published in late 1894 and reviewed in the New England Medical Gazette in January 1895.Volume 2 came along a little later I believe.

AGREED. The information was in plain sight, yet nobody knew about it until recently after research. And because of its obscurity, nobody in England at least would have thought of looking in that Gazette.
              Thanks Phil, not to be hammering the point home or anything, but just to get things in prespective maybe. Although it was an American volume first printed in New York in 1894 in two volumes, it was also published in England in 1895, and reviewed in the Times, mentioning Dr Bond's contributions to the book.

Comment

Interested

For anyone who might be interested, my copy of A System of Legal Medicine is the U.S. 1894 edition and here are the relevant pages -

Click image for larger version

Name:	asolm1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	658097

Name:	asolm2.jpg
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	658098

Name:	asolm3.jpg
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	658099
                SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

It strikes me as ironic that for years there was so much speculation about Mary's injuries until the Post Mortem report turned up but all along the information including the missing heart is here going practically unnoticed

Comment

Many Such Examples

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                    It strikes me as ironic that for years there was so much speculation about Mary's injuries until the Post Mortem report turned up but all along the information including the missing heart is here going practically unnoticed
                    There are many such examples of information in this case 'going unnoticed' for many years. The 'age of enlightenment' has not been with us very long.
                    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Hello Stewart,

I have read and re-read your posting of the original pages from the book you posess. (Thank you for doing so) And although I can see the obvious referral to MJK, there is a minor point I wish to make.

It does NOT specifically say the heart was missing...

quote..

"... In this case to be sure, all the organs except the heart were found scattered about the room..."

That can, in my humble opinion, be read that the heart was, for example, laying loose within the body cavity, or elsewhere on her body or on her bed.
                      The writer has also said that the victim was naked, which she was not.

It may be picking at points, but it doesn't actually state the heart was missing, which was the original basis of my point.

respectfully,

Phil

Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Stewart - I may be wrong but that is an interesting reference to NINE victims between 1887-1889 given the time, I was under the impression that at the time of the murders a lot of the popular press had the victim count at 7 (including Tabram and I assume Smith, or 'Fairy Fay'), and quite a few mooted the point re. Coles (as did Scotland Yard) but who are they proposing as no. 9? I was under the impression that by the 1890's most within the medico-legal professions were working largely along the lines of McNaghten's '5'?

1894 is the year of the Cutbush story obviously, and a proposed date for the Mcnaghten Memoranda on that basis (as we all know) - do we think this piece may fit into that particular puzzle in some way? Or was it at the time too obscure to register?

Does anyone know where Hamilton/ Godkin got their info from regarding the Whitechapel murders? Is there a link with a case doctor here or is it purely anecdotal? The latter would suggest that the slight discrepancies (ie MJK being naked) may be nothing more sinister than Chinese whispers across the Atlantic.

That said - would finding a pair of breasts under the head and a uterus elsewhere in the room a pretty good hint towards a body's gender???

Comment

There are two things here that puzzle me.
                          1. The organs weren't scattered about the room, but left on the bed.
                          2. I always thought that I was looking at her right thigh bone - surely it was exposed?

Comment

Robert... me too.
                            It was Bond's assitant who supplied the info from Bond's notes wasn't it? I admit to having a failing memory.

best wishes

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

...and that removal of pubic hair thing.

Comment

Scott,

Hmmm. That whole article is quite, and I like using this word, singular.

best wishes

Phil
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X