best ripper book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best ripper book

on my 50 birthday i decided i wanted another interest in life now my kids are virtually of my hands.I always had an interest in JTR but have now decided to really go for it.I have The ultimate Jack The Ripper source book(evans and Skinner) and want to get alot more,could any of you experts point me in the right direction of the best on offer,and any other sources of ripper things which would come in handy.
    I hope to solve the case with in three weeks.lol

Thanks for any help and guidence

Philip Sugden's book is by far the most complete.

Comment

I've just been reading Paul Begg's "Jack the Ripper The Definitive History" which is a treat-full of important context(political, social) for the Whitechapel murders of 1888. I think in tandem with the books already mentioned this is an essential title. Good reading, fascinating details, highest recommendation!

Comment

Definitely Sugdens 'Complete History of Jack The Ripper' It's a cliche but you really will not be able to put it down.

Comment

Anything by Dr. John Pope DeLocksley is also a must-read.

Comment

Don't tease the newbie, Scott.

Although, I could let dixon9 have a set of the complete ravings...uh, writings...of JPD at a very reasonable price. They aren't the sort of thing that one tends to re-read.

Comment

Hi Dixon

If you respect the Sourcebook you're in the zone.

The Complete Jack the Ripper A-Z by Begg, Fido and Skinner will be available in hardback in only a couple of weeks (check it out on Amazon).

Buy it and you'll have no regrets, believe me.
              Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 07-30-2009, 09:34 PM.
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Good point. The A-Z and Sugden's Complete History are all you really need. I would however put money on the fact that like everyone else you will, in the end, have acquired nearly every half decent book on the subject. Even the Patricia Corndog nonsense

Comment

hi i'm a little new to the JTR case(in comparison to others that is)
                  I recently read "Jack The Ripper Unmasked" by William Beadle.
                  It details the Life and Times and possibly whitechapel crimes of William Bury.
                  a very very underrated suspect!
                  I knew it was going to be a good night when i saw three chairs whizz past my head.......

Comment

Ill get shot down in flames but I would recommend the graphic novel "From Hell".....I know its "fiction" but still the places, the names and murders are all extremely well researched and studied - an extremely fascinating book touching on masonry, the Royal conspiracy, the architecture of London at the time etc etc........

Comment

thanks very much for all your help and replys

Comment

Hi Dixon9,

In addition to Sugden's "The Complete History of JtR", I'd recommend John J. Eddleston's "JTR, An Encyclopaedia", which was the first book I owned on JtR, and "The Ultimate JtR Sourcebook" by Evans & Skinner.

All the best,
                        Frank
                        "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                        Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

thanks frank and again to everyone else.
                          Must be getting the bug,didn't even go out for my regular friday night drink.lol

Comment

I've always had a soft spot for the Eddleston as it was the first serious book I acquired on JTR to do research for guiding. It is riddled with errors, though, so watch out for them. A pity as, if it were accurate, I would have deemed it my favourite book on the subject.

PHILIP
                            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                              Good point. The A-Z and Sugden's Complete History are all you really need. I would however put money on the fact that like everyone else you will, in the end, have acquired nearly every half decent book on the subject. Even the Patricia Corndog nonsense
                              I would wait to 2010 if you want a new copy of A to Z, when the update is due for publication release early in the new year.

Pirate

Comment

Working...
                              X