best ripper book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for the Eddleston as it was the first serious book I acquired on JTR to do research for guiding. It is riddled with errors, though, so watch out for them. A pity as, if it were accurate, I would have deemed it my favourite book on the subject.

PHILIP
    My copy of Eddleston is falling apart, and I am constantly trying to put everything back in order. According to my copy, Mary Kelly was the first victim!
    Regards Mike

Comment

I read last year the "Diary Of Jack The Ripper" - not sure what I thought of it - obiviously its potential to be complete bullshit overrides most thoughts - but it was an interesting read nonetheless - what are the experts opinions on the book on this board? Could Maybrick really have been Jack?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
        Could Maybrick really have been Jack?
        Check out the Maybrick threads, Adam - but... be careful!
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Sam!

I always thought of you as such a responsible poster as well! You'll be directing people to the Hutch threads soon.
          babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

I did warn Adam, BB. I thought it was the least I could do
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Adam - are you being naughty?

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Well I personally still like the ridiculous notion of Sickert and Gull somehow involved - but that is of course frowned upon

Comment

I'm not sure if this thread is continuing to be of use to you Dixon as it looks like you have now been recommended every book, good and bad, ever printed on the subject. You'd better give those extension plans the green light

Comment

Originally posted by dixon9 View Post
                    on my 50 birthday i decided i wanted another interest in life now my kids are virtually of my hands.I always had an interest in JTR but have now decided to really go for it.I have The ultimate Jack The Ripper source book(evans and Skinner) and want to get alot more,could any of you experts point me in the right direction of the best on offer,and any other sources of ripper things which would come in handy.
                    I hope to solve the case with in three weeks.lol

Thanks for any help and guidence
                    Solve the case within 3 weeks? Well, best of luck with that.

Personally I think it'll take me at least a couple more months.

Sugden's book is fabulous, I think very highly of "Jack the Ripper: The Facts" by Paul Begg (which is actually an updated version of Begg's 1988 "Jack the Ripper: The Uncensored Facts"), and I agree with the others' suggestions. I also like "The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper" by Martin Fido (esp. since he thinks like I do lol!).

Read Patricia Cornwell's opus if you must, but keep your barf bag handy and trust only the most basic words included in that book, you know: a, and, the, how, I, she, he, it...I'm not sure there's an entire sentence in there that can be trusted.

As for Maybrick being the Ripper, I think Queen Victoria is a likelier suspect myself. After all, among other things, she lived closer to the East End, she had plenty of political clout to hush up any nasty rumors, and there is that theory about "Jill the Ripper" who might just as easily have been "Vicky the Ripper".....
                    "It's either the river or the Ripper for me."~~anonymous 'unfortunate', London 1888

Comment

My choices:
                      The London of Jack the Ripper: Then and Now by Rob Clack and Philip Hutchinson. This one gave me the opportunity to see things I had only previously imaged from descriptions. Insightful and one I keep delving into.

Jack the Ripper: The Facts by Paul Begg. Got this one last Christmas and I'm re-reading it already.

Jack the Ripper: Scotland Yard Investigates by Stewart P. Evans and Donald Rumbelow. Lots of interesting pics and info on the men behind the names (the police). Fascinating stuff.

and...

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden. Absolutely essential reading for all Ripperologists.

Comment

I heart Lord Lucan. Never thought I'd say that!

PHILIP
                        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Yes its Sugden for me too, if I had to recommend one book. But Phil and Robs Then & Now is the best tour book; wish it was 20years earlier.

Comment

thanks again everyone

Comment

Working...
                            X