Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Between Liz and Eddowes...

what did jack do?
    the 2 murders were 35 minutes apart but a 10 min walking time.
    So about 25 minutes left.
    You guys think he was hiding?
    I dunno why but I cant see Jack hidin in some dark alley waitin for the right time.
    Also with a dead body being spotted (again) the whole place might have turned upside down givin him even less chances to hide.

Maybe he is just trying to decide who to pick? Maybe he starts walking home and decides to turn back? Maybe a couple of PCs are walking towards him and he decides to duck into an alley or some kind of coffee shop or just sit and hide awhile?

Comment

Seeing as this is pure speculation, I'll play along with the theory that Stride was a Ripper victim. I think Jack was just looking for 'another' prostitute, nothing more to it other than that really. Plus I doubt he and Eddowes met outside Mitre Square, so perhaps they were walking in that direction together after meeting elsewhere, somewhere in Aldgate maybe. He could've and probably approached other ladies of the night before meeting Eddowes though, so that's another excuse for the time 'delay'.

Comment

If the 35 minutes you mention was the time between the bodies being found, you have to allow time for the mutilations on Eddowes to have been carried out. The killer attacks Stride, escapes, probably does not head straight for Mitre Sq but meets Eddowes along the route. It is also possible that he had some blood on his hands or clothes from the attack on Stride and had to clean himself up a bit. Eddowes would not have gone with a bloodstained man (supposing she could see the bloodstains in the dark).

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
          If the 35 minutes you mention was the time between the bodies being found, you have to allow time for the mutilations on Eddowes to have been carried out. The killer attacks Stride, escapes, probably does not head straight for Mitre Sq but meets Eddowes along the route. It is also possible that he had some blood on his hands or clothes from the attack on Stride and had to clean himself up a bit. Eddowes would not have gone with a bloodstained man (supposing she could see the bloodstains in the dark).
          not much blood on the Ripper from Stride, if any.

Comment

Walking at a brisk pace between the two murder sites took me 14 minutes this past September. Ten minutes without today's traffic and red lights? Yeah, probably, but perhaps he paused often to make sure he wasn't being followed. It's then a popular theory that he met Eddowes outside St. Botolph's Church, known as the "Prostitutes's Church" where many came to make themselves available to potential clients. This is only a stone's throw from Mitre Square. So taking the time to be sure he hadn't been followed, then talking to Kate, agreeing on price, where to go, etc., probably account for the extra time.

Comment

I'm not convinced he would have met Eddowes outside the church,it just seems too exposed and populated with other 'ladies' which would raise the chance of him being seen,while going through the negotiations.
              I would say he met her on a one on one basis..

Comment

You guys are right about the time. I think he met her at the church too. It seems like the first place to go if your regular date suddenly takes ill. And Eddowes is likely to go there too. I dont think the ripper considered those girls his catch of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by halomanuk View Post
                  I'm not convinced he would have met Eddowes outside the church,it just seems too exposed and populated with other 'ladies' which would raise the chance of him being seen...
                  ... not to mention the probability that, if the police were going to be keeping one place under active surveillance, it was going to be the area around the alleged "Prostitute's church".
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm X View Post
                    not much blood on the Ripper from Stride, if any.
                    How does anyone know that for sure. A minimal amount of blood on the hands is surely possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                      How does anyone know that for sure. A minimal amount of blood on the hands is surely possible.
                      Why would that be Limehouse? Its clear he didnt touch the victim after she was on the ground, and according to Blackwells comments, he might have taken hold of her scarf from behind, twisted it, pulled and got her falling and cut her "while" she fell.

That killer should have some blood on his knife, but little if any on him. He could have been interviewed by the cops afterwards in that yard with no signs of blood...or even a knife on him.

Cheers Limehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Lika View Post
                        what did jack do?
                        the 2 murders were 35 minutes apart but a 10 min walking time.
                        So about 25 minutes left.
                        You guys think he was hiding?
                        I dunno why but I cant see Jack hidin in some dark alley waitin for the right time.
                        Also with a dead body being spotted (again) the whole place might have turned upside down givin him even less chances to hide.
                        Hi Lika,

My opinion is that between the murders Jack the Ripper was already seeking out strays close to Mitre square. As Liz's murder occurred, my bet is he knew nothing about it.

He may have discovered the news when he left Mitre and headed North East...might be why he may have left a message by a piece of Kates apron in the entranceway off Goulston.

Best regards

Comment

Let's say he did kill Liz and go along with the theory that he was interuppted. He makes his exit quickly when he's left alone in the yard then flees west instead of east, where he thinks the police activity will be less. Maybe thats why he went south of the Whitechapel Road in the first place.

The city is like a ghost town even now at weekends. Perhaps he went into that area to take stock of the near miss he'd had, not planning to murder another woman- but found Kate loitering outside a dark alley leading to a dark quiet square.

Comment

Jack in Church Lane, at about half past one ?

From the Star, 1 October:

"From two different sources, we have the story that a man, when passing through Church Lane at about half past one, saw a man sitting on a doorstep and wiping his hands. As everyone is on the look-out for the murderer the man looked at the stranger with a certain amount of suspicion, whereupon he tried to conceal his face. He is described as a man who wore a short jacket and a sailor's hat."

Sugden's comment :

"The fascinating thing about the Church Lane report is that it appeared before any of these other descriptions had been published. Only a version of PC Smith's description, with references to a black diagonal coat and hard felt hat, was then in circulation. Furthermore, Church Lane might logically have been traversed by anyone walking from Berner Street to Mitre Square."

Fascinating, indeed.

Amitiés all,
                            David

Comment

well, I don't know the exact distance between Church Lane and Church Passage (surely somebody here can help) where the Ripper and Catherine Eddowes were allegedly seen about 5 minutes after this sighting in Church Lane. So, would it be possible to cover that distance and be seen talking to another person in 5 minutes or less?
                              In heaven I am a wild ox
                              On earth I am a lion
                              A jester from hell and shadows almighty
                              The scientist of darkness
                              Older than the constellations
                              The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Working...
                              X