Attempted Suicide of Henry Matthews's Nephew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempted Suicide of Henry Matthews's Nephew

I hadnt seen this before. The attempted suicide of Henry Matthews's nephew just over a week after the Kelly murder:

Lloyd's Weekly
    18 November 1888
    Attached Files

Wow, what an interesting find Chris, I thought the bit about his delirium tremens was quite interesting!

He must have had serious issues to cut his throat, then try and pull the wound wider!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
      Thanks for the message
      There is no Lumley Matthews as such in the records, and the most likely man to be the one mentioned on grounds of age in the report above is Henry Lumley Matthews, botn in early 1853 in Marylebone. I'll post any further details about him
      Chris

Comment

Chris, I did find one article about suicide during the period of the Whitechapel murders where a man had stabbed himself 87 times! It was more central though.

The only other suicide I have found so far among my records, is of the lady who lived on Hanbury-street who hung herself, becuase of the Whitechapel Murders!
        Last edited by Mike Covell; 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM. Reason: Having difficulty spelling whilst drinking milk!!
        Regards Mike

Comment

Henry Lumley Matthews
          born 1852

Called to the Bar: 10 May 1876 (Pall Mall Gazette) - Henry Lumley Matthews of Cambridge

Cambridge Record:
          Name: Henry Lumley Matthews
          College: ST JOHN'S
          Born: 12 Nov 1852
          Died: 12 Feb 1904
          More Information: Adm. pens. at ST JOHN'S, Aug. 3, 1871. [2nd] s. of Henry Williames, gent. [and Emily]. B. Nov. 12, 1852, at Stoke Newington, Middlesex. Bapt. Apr. 13, 1853. School, Charterhouse. Matric Michs. 1871. Adm. at the Middle Temple, Oct. 27, 1870. Called to the Bar, May 10, 1876. Died Feb. 12, 1904.

Comment

Hi Chris,

A fascinating find. Shades of Druitt.

If this is the same [Henry] Lumley Matthews, he was called to the bar in 1876 [Law Times, 13th May 1876]—

Click image for larger version

Name:	LAW TIMES 13 May 1876 called to the bar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	655179

Died on 12th Feb 1904 [The Times, 21st July 1904]—

Name:	lumley jul 21 1904.jpg
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	655180

And his estate was still in contention in 1909 [The Times, 27th July 1909]—

Name:	lumley july 27 1909.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	655181

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

The Times
              21 July 1904

Henry Lumley Matthews, deceased, late of Rosedale, 163 West End Lane, Kilburn, and 33 Oxford Terrace, Hyde Park. Solicitors or other persons having any Will or Deeds or Papers of the above named gentleman, who died on the 12th February, 1904, are requested to communicate with Messrs. Nicol, Son and Jones, 39 Lime Street, London, E.C.

Comment

Many thanks Simon
                Some very interesting info
                I must add the cautionary note in that the article I first posted stated he was only "said to be" nephew of Henry Matthews, Home Secretary, and I have yet to verify this. There was a shorter syndicated version of the attempted suicide story which was widely reported but which ommitted this alleged connection.
                The reason I have gone from Henry L is that there were only three men listed with the middle and surnames Lumley Matthews. The other two were were Edward Lumley Matthews, born 1883, and John Lumley Matthews, born 1902. Both these latter can obviously be discounted as being either not born or an infant at the time of the incident.

Comment

Great find Chris... very interesting. Mike, what is the story about the woman who hung herself? I have never seen that before. Can you post the article?

Rob H

Comment

In 1861 we find out Henry's parents:
                    9 Garway Road, Marylebone
                    Head: Henry W Matthews aged 38 born Montgomeryshire - Landed proprietor
                    Wife: Emily Matthews aged 32 born Sydney, Australia
                    Children:
                    William M aged 10 born Sydney
                    Henry L aged Marylebone

Comment

Originally posted by robhouse View Post
                      Great find Chris... very interesting. Mike, what is the story about the woman who hung herself? I have never seen that before. Can you post the article?

Rob H
                      Hi Rob, just off to pick my little girl up, and I will try and get on later, if not I will post it tomorrow.
                      Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Chris,

For Lumley Matthews to be Henry Matthews nephew, his mother must have been one of the latter's brothers. But Henry Matthews only had sisters—

Mary Matthews d. 15th August 1890
                        Helen Matthews d. 16th July 1894

Mary's children with Julien Francois Bertrand de la Chere were—

• Henri de la Chere d. 1861
                        • Eugenè Gaston de la Chere
                        • Marie Sophie de la Chere
                        • Winifred Berthe de la Chere
                        • Alice de la Chere

Helen Matthews was a nun.

So it looks like the alleged connection to the Home Secretary cannot be true.

Regards,

Simon
                        Last edited by Simon Wood; 11-03-2008, 08:18 PM. Reason: Clarity
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Simon
                          I had come to the same conclusion but by a different route!
                          As Lumley shared the same surname as his alleged uncle, Henry Matthews, then any connection would have to have been through the male line. Any sister of the Home Secretary, on marrying, would have changed her surname, unless by some remote chance she also married a Matthews.
                          If there were any truth then this Lumley would have to be the son of a brother of the Home Secretary. However, when I found out that Lumley's father (if my identification is correct) was also named Henry, and it would seem highly unlikely to have two siblings with the same forename, I thought the claimed kinship was probably spurious
                          Regards
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                            The only other suicide I have found so far among my records, is of the lady who lived on Hanbury-street who hung herself, becuase of the Whitechapel Murders!
                            Could you maybe elaborate further on that one? Sounds interesting
                            In heaven I am a wild ox
                            On earth I am a lion
                            A jester from hell and shadows almighty
                            The scientist of darkness
                            Older than the constellations
                            The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Press cuttings are here Hellrider,

General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.
                              Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X