Attempted Suicide of Henry Matthews's Nephew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All

On the Lloyd’s article posted by Chris, The Star, 17th Nov. 1888 reported the incident as follows:

DETERMINED TO SUICIDE.
    A Reputed Nephew of the Home Secretary Does All He Can to Die.
    Mr. Lumley Matthews, a gentleman who is said to be a nephew of the Home Secretary, is lying in University Hospital with two severe gashes and another great wound in his throat caused by his tearing open one of the cuts with his hands. He made as determined an attempt on his life as there is on record. He lives in apartments at 25 Endsleigh-gardens, Euston-road, and yesterday evening whilst he was alone in his room, he cut his throat with a razor, lay in a bath of blood all night, and then this morning, finding that he had not succeeded in killing himself, he opened the bedroom window and jumped out into the yard below. He was picked up saturated in blood and taken to the hospital. The most extraordinary part of the affair is that immediately after he had cut his throat he seems to have sat down and calmly written down a statement as to what he had done. After this he proceeded to tear open his throat as described.

The Daily Telegraph, 19th Nov. 1888 reported as follows:

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE. – Mr. Lumley Matthews, a barrister, of Staple Inn, is lying in University Hospital with two severe gashes, and another great wound in his throat caused by his tearing open one of the cuts with his hands. He has been living in apartments at 25, Endsleigh-gardens, Euston-road, and on Friday evening, whilst alone in his room, cut his throat with a razor, lay in a bath of blood all night, and then on Saturday morning, finding that he had not succeeded in killing himself, he opened the bed-room window and jumped into the yard below. He was picked up saturated in blood, and taken to the hospital. The most extraordinary part of the affair is that, immediately after he had cut his throat, he seems to have sat down and calmly written a statement as to what he had done; after this he proceeded to tear open his throat as described. He is of independent means. On Friday afternoon he went to the house where he had previously rented the drawing-room floor, and said to the landlady, Mrs. Pitt, “Let me in; I am dying.” He said he had been staying at the Grosvenor Hotel, where they had locked him up and said he was mad. “I’m not mad, am I?” he asked. Mrs. Pitt took him in, and consented to provide him with a bedroom. Matthews seemed to be in a state bordering on delirium tremens, and Mrs. Pitt recommended him to see Dr. Riding, who saw him, and prescribed a draught, which he took. After that Matthews ordered in half a dozen bottles of claret and some soda, and he sent the servant girl for brandy. The servant found him at ten o’clock on Saturday morning in the back yard. He had fallen 20ft. and had sustained a fracture of the leg, in addition to his other injuries. She fetched the doctor, who called in the police. Two razors were found in his bed. The police took possession of a key with “Grosvenor Hotel” stamped on it. The Home Secretary wishes it to be stated that he is in no way related to this Mr. Lumley Matthews.

Best wishes
    alex chisholm
    But for me, in my impenetrable mantle, the safety was complete. Think of it – I did not even exist!
    (HJFSotC – SCoDJaMH – RLS, 1886)

https://www.amazon.com/author/alexchisholm
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B006JFY5TC

Comment

Hi Alex
      Many thanks for those, especially the clarification regarding the relationship (or rather lack of it) to Henry Matthews
      Jeez, this guy was certainly determined to end it all!
      Regards
      Chris

Comment

Working...
      X