The Ripper's Knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ripper's Knife?

I read once that a man claims to own the knife of Jack the Ripper. Supposedly he found it in a wooden box with a blue velvet inside, and I believe I read there was a spot reserved for another knife beside it, but that knife was lost. Either way, I highly doubt it truly was ole Jacky Boys knife, but have any of you heard this story or know anymore about it? I've searched the internet, thinking that was where I read the claim, and I came across Tony Williams, who in 2005 claimed to have recieved the tools of Jacks trade from his descendant Sir John Williams. Once again, there is a person claiming to have the murder weapon. Although, it is probably as far fetched as all the others that have made these claims, here is the link

A badly blunted surgical knife belonging to an eminent Victorian surgeon is at the centre of a row over the identity of Jack the Ripper.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Cheers,

Ryan Miller

You would not be thinking of Don Rumbelow´s knife, would you? That one is written about in his book from the seventies - and a very good book it is! - where he mentions how he came across a knife that may have been Jacks!
    I can´t fully remember all the details, but it seems the knife had been handed down to a little old lady who used it to tend to her garden! And if my memory serves me, that knife was also a surgeons knife, and came in a wooden box lined with bloodstained cloth, something that the old lady thought so horrible that she burnt the box...!

All the best,
    Fisherman

Comment

On Rumbelow's knife, from "Jack the Ripper A to Z:"

"A broken surgical knife, now in the possession of Donald Rumbelow... The knife was given to Miss Dorothy Stroud in 1937 by Hugh Pollard, sporting editor of 'Country Life,' who said it had belonged to Jack the Ripper. Since Pollard was the partner of gunsmith Robert Churchill, for many years Scotlan Yard's ballistics expert, the provenance of the knife seemed excellent. It was then one of an unbroken pair, contained in a box lined with bloodstained velvet. Miss Stroud burned the box, gave one knife away, and used the other for carving and subsequently gardening, in the course of which she broke it."

Two questions I wonder if anyone can answer about this knife-

One, I have seen a photo of it broken in two, but I saw it in person last month at the JTR Exhibition at the Museum in Docklands where it appeared to be in one piece again. Has it been repaired, or is that only a facsimile of the real knife they have on display?

And two, the A to Z also puts forth the theory that if the knife was indeed once in police posession and somehow came to be considered to be the Ripper's it was probably seized from Michael Ostrog, who was once arrested for stealing surgical equipment. That sounds likely. Anyone agree?

Comment

There are quite a lot of contempory news reports regarding people arrested carrying knives, and knives being found in the neighbourhood of the murders.

It could be any one of those.
        Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
          There are quite a lot of contempory news reports regarding people arrested carrying knives, and knives being found in the neighbourhood of the murders.

It could be any one of those.
          True, but how many of those knives were surgical implements (Rumbelow's is an amputation knife), and how many of those people have ended up on the list of noteworthy Ripper suspects, let alone the Macnaghten Memoranda? I don't know, if Scotland Yard found the knife important enough to save until the 1930s and it was known by them as the Ripper's knife, Ostrog just sounds like a likely connection. Not that I think Ostrog was the Ripper. He was just a thief.

Comment

I expect Jack had more than one knife. How many knives do you have? I must have at least 25.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
              True, but how many of those knives were surgical implements (Rumbelow's is an amputation knife), and how many of those people have ended up on the list of noteworthy Ripper suspects, let alone the Macnaghten Memoranda? I don't know, if Scotland Yard found the knife important enough to save until the 1930s and it was known by them as the Ripper's knife, Ostrog just sounds like a likely connection. Not that I think Ostrog was the Ripper. He was just a thief.
              Yes there are a few theories circulating about the knife. Funny enough I was with Don at the Dock Exhibision when he discovered it wasnt with the knife section?

However the two stories I've come across is A. It was a murder weapon possibly connected to fenian terrorism. Oakley park murder? (i'm using memory )

And somewhere else i have heard that the knife was connected to Druit. Searching of chambers (however I do not know the source of this story). I'm sure someone will tell us.

Pirate

Comment

knife

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                However the two stories I've come across is A. It was a murder weapon possibly connected to fenian terrorism. Oakley park murder? (i'm using memory )
                Pirate
                I remember hearing it was by the same maker as the knives used in the Phoenix Park murders in Dublin (possible tenuous link to Tumbelty/Fenians); I think I heard this in relation to Dr T anyway.
                aye aye! keep yer 'and on yer pfennig!

Comment

A badly blunted surgical knife belonging to an eminent Victorian surgeon is at the centre of a row over the identity of Jack the Ripper.

from the above...

Incisions on the victims' bodies match the dimensions of the surgical knife.
                  This part just kinda makes me wonder, given that (at this late date) we don't really have anything but rather vague information about the incisions -- enough, perhaps, to guess at a size range for the knife (or knives) JtR used, but not enough to definitively say "this kind and this kind only".

Wouldn't one pretty much have to have at least one of the bodies to determine this kind of thing about the weapon that wounded it?
                  ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Thing is, if that's the Ripper's knife, then the cops knew who he was. And they didn't! Any amputation knife used at that time stood a damn' good chance of getting bloody, so the blood is no proof. We don't even know if it's human blood...

Comment

I still think the Ripper was a fishmonger. It's the way he did it. Plus he'd have access to different types of knife, and since two knives were supposed to have been used...

Comment

An amputation knife would have done jack well if he was also responsible for the torso murders.
                        'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Nah, he didn't do the torso murders. It doesn't fit, despite the old cliche of "if someone was morally capable of ripping women, he'd be capable of dismembering them." It does not work like that. Dennis Nilsen did not suddenly go onto picking up male prostitutes, shooting them and dumping them in back-alleys, because it was not his method. Same with Sutcliffe. He did not begin cutting women up and dumping them in bin bags in the sea like Dexter!

Comment

Mr.Hyde

Originally posted by smezenen View Post
                            An amputation knife would have done jack well if he was also responsible for the torso murders.
                            Like these.

Comment

Some more surgical knifes from the era.There was a fine set of small folding knives made in USA at that time,used for amputation-only have picture of the case.
                              Robert Liston's skills give a good insight into what a top 19th.century surgeon was capable of.
                              4 CVs were murdered in the dark of night.City gaslights went out at 11pm.
                              Last edited by Mr.Hyde; 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X