No Jewish victims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Jewish victims

This just occurred to me as a random thought and it may be a stupid question. Is it odd that in an area with such a large concentration of Jews that none of the Ripper's victims were Jewish? Of course Jack's targets were prostitutes, not chosen for race or religion. Was it common at all for Jewish immigrant women to join the ranks of the Unfortunates or was it practically unknown?

Hi Ken,

Whilst it wasn't unknown for a Jewess to become a prostitute, they were rather rare in comparison with their gentile counterparts. In fact, Lady Battersea (one of the Rothschilds) had set up the Jewish Ladies' Society for Preventive & Rescue Work in 1885. This charity provided aid to single Jewish women to stop them sliding into prostitution, to "save" those who already had, and to protect and advise newly-immigrated Jewish girls from suffering a similar fate.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
      This just occurred to me as a random thought and it may be a stupid question. Is it odd that in an area with such a large concentration of Jews that none of the Ripper's victims were Jewish? Of course Jack's targets were prostitutes, not chosen for race or religion. Was it common at all for Jewish immigrant women to join the ranks of the Unfortunates or was it practically unknown?
      A very good question Kensai. One I'd never even thought of.
      It was Bury whodunnit. The black eyed scoundrel.

The yam yams are the men, who won't be blamed for nothing..

Comment

Would a Jewish prostitute tout for business amongst Gentiles?

Cheers,

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

'Sliding into Prostitution'.......Gareth.....interesting image there!!

...Seriously though- I would say IMHO - that most of the Jewish women in the area were of a 'decent' arrangement and were lucky enough not to have to go out on the trawl for the price of a bed........Interesting thought though...........

Graham- Jew or Gentile who cares if there's a 4d for a bed in it (!) who cares!! (and if it's 6d then there's a gin or two in it too!)
          Last edited by Suzi; 10-05-2008, 12:05 AM.
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            Would a Jewish prostitute tout for business amongst Gentiles?
            ...at least she stood more of a chance of getting a tip that way. Think about it...
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh!! I don't tip anyone! ( Ha!) Were we into the C17th there with the Roundheads or the LVP?? sorry..........
              Last edited by Suzi; 10-05-2008, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
                Maybe there were no Jewish prostitutes (or very few?) because, as you said, there were many Jews in the area.
                How could a Jewish girl solicit in streets where she could meet her parents, brothers, etc. Certainly there were Jewish prostitutes, but working in a different manner (appointments, etc).
                All JtR victims, ie poor prostitutes working in the streets, were far from their relatives and from what had been their home.

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

This is a question I've brought up many, many times. I don't know the numbers, but Fishman suggests it was commonplace for new Jewish immigrants to be brought in as prostitutes or to be taken under the wing of gentlemen (loosely) who would bring them into prostitution. Also, many brothels were run by Jews, the majority in fact. If one goes to websites that discuss such things, there are many stories of kids growing up not knowing the family wealth was made via prostitution and other vice. It is a time in Jewish history that they don't like to talk about.

Cheers,

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

Hi Mike,
                    interesting, but JtR victims - and that was the question of this thread: why none of JtR victims was a Jewish prostitute - were not working in a brothel. There were just poor women trying to survive in the streets.

Amitiés,
                    David

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmm-

As I said earlier, I'm not sure that religion of any sort played any part in the life of the 'unfortunates' in the LVP.
                      We are of the opinion of the woman known as Mary Jane Kelly was a Catholic- but that itself is a slight mystery- as is MJK herself!

Having said that- the Jews of the area had a reputation of being 'family' orientated (as they are today)- I am quite sure that there were some 'daughters' who wandered from 'the fold' (so to speak!) and were left to do as well as they could day to day -or rather night to night- doing as best they could- daring not to go back home maybe. ..

...Maybe the concept of going to a Jewish owned lodging house could have been an even worse thought though- because.. ...well the local jungle telegraph would have swung into action and the results [i.e going back to the family home] could have been even worse than just disappearing into the ether ...or the non-existant fog!!

Comment

David,

I'm talking about freelance prostitutes as well. This is one reason that I believe it was a Jew who did it. I think killing his own may have been difficult. Also, this seems to have been a late 19th century thing, this Jewish control of many areas of prostitution, all over the world. Perhaps, the killer could kill older prostitutes without fear of killing one of his own. There's someone on this site, Martin Fido, who I believe has done a lot of research into this aspect of the LVP.

Cheers,

Mike
                        huh?

Comment

Just as an asideClick image for larger version

Name:	pik.gif
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	655033
                          Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't see anything that suggests it was a Jewish man/woman who was responsible for the killings apart from the 'foreigner' references here and there- Pizer's arrest -and subsequent release of course-and the 'accents' that caused some witnesses to remark on that- mind you anyone from outside Spitalfields at the time probably sounded like a 'foreigner'!.

Suzi x

Mike- A 'freelance prostitute ' summons up a rather odd image- Maybe one who 'works from home' !!!! Ah case solved!!
                          Last edited by Suzi; 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                            Just as an aside[ATTACH]3451[/ATTACH]

Mike- A 'freelance prostitute ' summons up a rather odd image- Maybe one who 'works from home' !!!! Ah case solved!!
                            Suzi,

Let's not even talk about a man with a free lance, eh?

Cheers,

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

He he- Oh Go On------------ I've got a 2nd hand one (Lance!)- which I'm prepared to part with for 50 guineas! ONO!

(She says- ignoring your FABULOUS 'single entendre!' hehe
                              Last edited by Suzi; 10-05-2008, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X