Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toowong Coincidence

Hi all,

My first post, I did some reading on the site then bought Sugden’s book, fascinating read and as I read the posts I learn more, please bear with me this might be a bit long winded.

I had vaguely heard of the Australian connection but didn’t know any detail so reading the posts and links was interesting.
    I have done a little family history research of my own, so when it was mentioned that Andrew John Gibson’s parents were unknown I thought I’d have a quick look, just for daftness really, I started on free births deaths and marriages web site.

I’m not suggesting that the Andrew Gibson I found was Andrew John Gibson father but it threw up quite a coincidence; I think that it is uncertain even if Andrew John Gibson was his birth name but anyway onwards?
    I find it difficult to believe also that he was JTR, in his early 80’s when he died in 1952, puts his birth date around 1870 also it mentions that he came back to the UK to contest the will of his father (by adoption) in 1887-88 making him 17,18,19 years old not quite JTR’s age range.

The Andrew Gibson that I found was married in Whitechapel in 1869, “generally” folks would get married in their twenties those days and knock one or two nippers out pdq, also names did/do run in families. In one post (a newspaper clipping) it mentioned that Andrew Gibson came to Australia half a century ago when he was 22, article written 1916 minus 50 equals 1866, this doesn’t tie up unless it may have been Andrew Gibson senior, and could explain why Andrew John was adopted by and Australian family?

As I say this is all reading between line and supposition.

Now the real coincidence when I checked for the marriage of Andrew I found another couple had been married in Whitechapel Road in Sept 1869, a John Hughes and as it turned out Esther Lippiatt I checked Esther’s name on family search the Latter-day Saints site, just a world search, Esther died in Brisbane and was buried in Toowong cemetery, I’d heard that name before, checked back and it’s the same cemetery that Andrew John Gibson ended up in, in 1952.

Is that a coincidence? Is Andrew Gibson, Andrew John Gibson’s father, was he travelling between UK and Oz 1860’s, did he know John Hughes and Esther Lippiatt? Were Andrew and John mates? Double wedding? Andrew and John would have been in their early forties in 1888! Like father like son?
    Not sure of my facts here but wasn’t there something about American accents and American floppy brim hats and a circus in town, could you confuse accents?

Anyway as I say, all supposition and nothing to tie anyone to JTR just really posting because of the Andrew Gibson/Whitechapel and Toowong coincidence.

Hell I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next person!

Hope your all in the rudest of health and please don’t flame me! First post remember!!

Barry

Comment

What a Little Ripper!

I'd like to say Hi to all but especially:

Financeman, Ron Beckett and Barry................all in Oz. I have to confess I never heard anything about the Brisbane JtR, (I expect he's now known colloquially as 'Bazza the Ripper'!!!).

I thought I would have heard something about this in Sydney. I think you'd have to drink a dozen XXXX beers to see anything remotely like a capped (caped) figure on that headstone!

Anna I liked your 'TOO WONG' joke! There must be hundreds of people who lived in London at the time of the murders, why this guy in particular? I just checked out the Toowong Cemetery on google and there are GHOST TOURS available!!!

Perhaps this is a bit closer to the reason for the publicity surrounding JtR (or even BtR) being buried there?

Regards

Eileen

Comment

G'day All!!!

Hiya,

Firstly,welcome to Casebook Barry,nice to have you amongst us.

So..chuck another prawn on the barbie and post as much as you like,whether conspiracy threory or not....we LIKE to discuss new ideas and information here.

Hi Mrsperfect,
        You are perfectly right,there are literally hundreds of potential Jacks.....

Which leads me to an apology to our Antipodean friends, .. I got a bit tetchy concerning the miraculous appearance on the tombstone,of the Aussie rippa...but crap abounds over here at the moment.It was quite funny,when you think of it,I suppose...and of course,with ghost tours at this rather unfortunately named cemetry,quite handy also.

By the way...glad you liked the joke.

ANNA.

Comment

Toowong Coincidence 2

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome Eileen and Anna!
          I wanted so much to use the line:
          Two Toowongs don’t make it right! Oh blimey just done it!

The Image on the gravestone is total bunkum and not worth a second thought, tomorrows chip paper!

And again I suppose there must be lots of links between Toowong cemetery in Brisbane and Whitechapel,…right? That is besides Esther Hughes nee Lippiatt and Andrew John Gibson aka Charles Ernest Chadwick aka Walter Thomas Porriott aka Dr Henry Cecil Rutherford Darling and the rest.

Chris Scott’s post of the news paper clipping is interesting, whoever wrote the article must have realised that the Andrew Gibson he was writing about would be by the writers intimation 50 years plus 22 making the crim 72 years old in 1916 but Andrew John Gibson claimed the age of 71 in 1940 when he was sent down for ten years for killing a woman whilst posing as an obstetrician. I wonder where the news reporter got his information from. It does carry a little detail.

Just can’t help thinking that there’s a rabbit off here somewhere,
          maybe a ……. Jack rabbit!

Seriously though there is something not quite right.

Barry

P.S. Before someone says it, no I don't mean me.

Comment

Hi Barry,

As if we would!!!! you're one of us now.

Perhaps Chris may have some further ideas to add.

The Aussie JTR connection is interesting.

Keep us posted,if you discover anything else in your neck of the woods.

Great first posts

ANNA.

Comment

I just wonder what Frederick Bayley Deeming or Dr. Lionel Druitt would have thought of this information.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Barry Interesting stuff

Comment

Working...
                X