No announcement yet.

Is Jack The Ripper Buried In Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One must point out that "Living a gay life" meant the suspect was happy and content, and not homosexual!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Indeed - just as Kelly was described as working at a "gay house" in the West End

Comment

Can anyone see "a side-on view of a capped man, arm raised above his head with a dagger in his hand" on that wheathered cross?

I certainly can't.

Christian

Comment

Nina did research on the San Quentin inmate population.

He isn't in there.

Comment

When I read the original news article that other papers picked up and modified, I was amused to discover that "Despite all his family's suspicions, many Ripper enthusiasts, known internationally as "Ripperologists", are divided over Porriott's guilt." How can we be divided when we've never even heard of the guy...?

I went to Google the name to see if anyone anywhere had ever mentioned this person before and saw that the Paul Tully quoted as an expert first wrote about it on his blog in December of 2007... and, for an expert it's odd how three out of four posts there are about this person none of the rest of us had heard of.

Alan Sharp has posted a response at the Ripper Notes Extra site. I agree with his assessment that this seems to be a complete nonstarter of a theory that was just cooked up for publicity.

And just how gullible are reporters to run the later stories claiming that an image of Jack the Ripper appeared on the guy's tombstone for the 120th anniversary of Nichols' death?

Dan Norder
            Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
            Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Inappropriate isn't the word for digging up his grave, it would be ridiculous.

By the by, even if they did, what good would obtaining his DNA do? What would they be able to compare it to? I remember watching a programme a while ago where they tested a piece of clothing of one of the victims I think it was, can't remember the exact reason for testing it, anyway, they said they couldn't get anything from it. That's the only time I've heard anything about the possibility of DNA surviving being discussed and it was pretty quickly dismissed.

Comment

I just read about this article in a newspaper. I think it's ridiculous. JtR in Brisbane...baaah. And even if it WAS him, how the hell would we ever find out?
                "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" - Admiral David Farragut.

Comment

Tully has more rainfall than any other place in Australia

If people go to the blog that Mike Covell placed on his post in this thread it shows that the story originated in 1997 in an article by a journo who talked to Steve Wilson, a relative of Porriott/ Gibson/Darling etc. This article was in The Bulletin magazine,sadly now defunct, and there is a good colour photo. As for the comment that the syndication of papers ends up with errors being perpetuated ad infinitum, as posited by Chris Scott and with the proviso that this had crept into some areas of Ripperology,(all of which I agree with) we have just committed that very sin.Again. A few posts later a Capped figure is mentioned,as J. Tully says on his story. The version I first read said Caped, so which is it, which came first ? The Cap or the Cape. Sherlock Holmes or Zorro. By the way, Dan Kelly did live on in Ipswich, from what little I have seen so maybe Mr Tully can get some things right. Judge not, lest ye be judged thyself. It's not a very good figure on the gravestone,though is it? It could be capped or caped, or both.

Comment

Wow This thread has really taken off.
                    Jack or not he sounds like an interesting character

Comment

This is an interesting tidbit of information. Thank you for sharing this.
                      ...I'm back.

Comment

Look I live in Brisbane and have heard all of the media reports and I dont think he is it. Whilst his criminal pedigree may stand him in good stead I beleive this person to be a very cunning and very smooth conman. In reading the ripper letters the ripper (if they are really him) is smart but lacks polish, he seems in some ways not to hide is lack of breeding in fact plays on it, perhaps intentionally but everything I have read on this guy is that he was very smooth in 'Catch me if you Can' kind away (The Movie) I think the Ripper was highley intelligent but not polished, this guy was polished.

Comment

Hi all,
                          This anniversay has turned into silly season...which I suppose (sigh) we had to expect.

But this latest "revelation" really is the pits....
                          Let me quote what I find VERY INSULTING to the memory of the victims and also those of us who study the crime..
                          "On the eve of the 120th Annivery,an amazing ghostly image on the cross of Porriott's grave has bee captured.The grainy figure shows a caped man,with his arm raised and a dagger in his hand high above his head-as if he were ready to pounce on his first victim."
                          It's similar to the reports that are laughed at in the press,with regard to images appearing of JC.......

This whole idea of this"new candidate" is rediculous.
                          Walter Thomas Porriott..buried in historic TOOWONG cemetry...HOW APT!!!!!
                          It is TOOWONG.......it's TOOWONG to be right.

With regards to our press reporting this...I suppose they had to report something on the occassion of the anniversary....I'm only suprised Sickert hasn't been dragged into it in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by anna View Post
                            With regards to our press reporting this...I suppose they had to report something on the occassion of the anniversary....I'm only suprised Sickert hasn't been dragged into it in some way.
                            Not yet he hasn't but there is plenty of time!

My father called me on Sunday morning when all the National Papers covered the story and was quite excited!

"They found Jack!" he yelled, until I brought him back down to earth!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

Yes but the person who made this discovery also claims to have found the graves of remaining Kelly brothers in Ipswich, only 30 klms apart. They did in Victoria, 2000 klms away from Ipswich.

As I said before this guy in Brisbane isnt the man we are looking for

Comment

AGREE........100%

Comment

Working...
                                X