Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The International Working Mens Club and the GSG.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sounds to me like it was written by a jew...

it merely says the jews wont accept blame for something. the wording seems so blindingly obvious, & i suspect the various translations are due to over-thinking it. sounds the same as 'we didnt do nothing' 'i aint done nothing' 'we aint gonna be blamed for nothing', etc, etc.

pretty common (in all senses of the word) use of language round here. just like youd pick up if youd lived around the east end for years...

reminds me of the 'oh murder' thing... which ive always known to be a way of just saying 'oh f**k'.

if this was in response to an actual murder, id expect they would have added 'oh, i say, you murderous rotter....'

ah well, well still be arguing over this one into the next century i expect

joel
    if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

But that's just it! People did know that "Jack woz 'ere", even after the apron had been taken away.
      Hi Sam,

If the message itself didn't tell anyone, and the apron was whisked away, the only way for potential rioters to have their passions inflamed by the fact that Jack had been there would have been if the police had made an announcement to that effect - thus completely defeating the object of erasing the message to prevent a potential riot on the 'Juweish' front.

If you are still not getting it, a month down the line, may I suggest you are just not trying hard enough? I'm getting more of it than I can cope with right now.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Hi Caz,

The police couldn't have drawn more attention to the GSG from passers-by if they had tried, gathered around it as they were with a sponge whilst dithering about taking a photograph.

And what was the point of rubbing it out when, at the inquest, Jewish sensibilities were ignored when the implications and spelling of the GSG were discussed in detail?

The whole episode makes little sense.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Hello Simon

My thoughts are that although the Goulston St affair probably spread like wild fire there were still two murder sites for the mob to wake up to and congregate at. At least there was nothing for the locals to march to on mass in Goulston St, which would have been the third port of call for most sightsee-ers that morning.

The memory and threat of repetition of the Hanbury St mob would have been very real, but it would not be likely for such a mob to form days later after the Inquest.
          Last edited by Jon Guy; 10-22-2008, 07:47 PM. Reason: sightsee-ers !!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
            If you are still not getting it, a month down the line, may I suggest you are just not trying hard enough? I'm getting more of it than I can cope with right now.
            A month down the line, I'm not sure I can even remember what we were discussing, Caz. Suffice to say I'd suggest that you didn't get my point either... whatever it was
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              A month down the line, I'm not sure I can even remember what we were discussing, Caz. Suffice to say I'd suggest that you didn't get my point either... whatever it was
              Hi Sam,

Your point was that local passions could have been inflamed had the message: 'in respect of the Ripper being a Jew' (your own words and underlining) been allowed to remain long enough for a photo.

As Simon says, the whole kerfuffle of the police presence, while sponge-dithering, could easily have led potential rioters in the first instance to conclude that Jack had been there. But presumably no passers-by got to read the actual message or learn about the 'Juwes' reference while the police were dithering, and there would also have been no question of buggering off and leaving it intact, uncovered and unguarded to inflame local passions. The three options were: erase all, erase 'Juwes' only, or conceal and guard closely until full daylight.

So how would anyone passing by have seen the message as 'Jack the Jew woz 'ere' (once the apron and its association had been whisked away) unless their passions were already so inflamed by the police presence that they were prepared to use force against the force to discover what the message was?

That was my point. I think I agree with Simon that the whole episode makes little sense. If Jack was not Jewish and didn't write the message, the police seem to have been doing his work for him and making the biggest deal they could out of it.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Last edited by caz; 10-24-2008, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Caz - I think we're arguing at cross purposes, but the subject is so opaque that I'm not entirely sure.

Best leave it there, whilst (I think) we're in agreement...
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Hi Caz,

With only PC Bettles to guard it single-handedly, the GSG was there for all to see between 2.55 and 3.15 am while PC Long went to Commercial Street police station with the piece of apron and returned to Goulston Street with an Inspector. They then set off for Leman Street police station, and once again only the stalwart PC Bettles stood between civil order and a potential Jewish uprising until reinforcements arrived with a sponge.

I ask ya!

Regards,

Simon
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Well Simon, that just makes it even less likely from where I'm sitting that any local passions would have been in serious danger of being inflamed by reading the message while Bettles was standing in front of it awaiting further instructions. "Ah, this means that the Whitechapel murderer woz 'ere and must be a Jew" (even though there's no apron, no sign of a crime, and no mention of murder in a bit of commonplace graffiti that anyone could have written and just happens to be on the wall behind where this copper is standing).

I ask ya!

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    Last edited by caz; 10-24-2008, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X