Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspicious about the Ripper Walk I took...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone,
    The Nun actually comes from an episode of the series Barlow/Watts that was televised in the early-mid seventys.
    It was then that a elderly nun claimed that when she was a young novice around 1916, a discussion about the murder in Dorset street arose, and this nun heard [ and remembered] a elderly sister who was around at the time say.
    Quote.. If it were not for that Kelly woman, none of the murders would have taken place...
    Make of that what you may,.
    Was it just oral history?
    Was the nun in the series a bogus?
    What was the meaning of that statement?
    Anyway that should explain a fair bit.
    Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi emlodik-

Right the nightwatchman at Kearley & Tonge was a retired police officer-one George James Morris- whether he was sweeping or having a cup of tea we'll never know -but PC Watkins,having come across the body of Kate, went roaring in,crying "For Gawds sake mate come to may assistance" to which Morris replied-"Stop until I get my lamp.What's the matter?" -Our Watkins replies "There's another woman been ripped to pieces" and added that she was 'around the corner'- Off they scuttled to find dear Kate in that dark corner.

It is of course possible that Watkins knew Morris- but there is no reason to suspect Morris- unless we're into a totally ridiculous-'I didn't see hear anything so it must have been me ' .....and yes I know the 'policeman' suspect is always lurking around as a possibility- but that's totally another scenario and another thread too-

Facts ,facts and MORE facts are vitally important if you're making any sort of documentary

..AND- if you're thinking of a tour....contact Philip directly via PM

The 'nun' is purely S.Knight/Joseph S et al and should be taken with a large amount of salt...sadly there's nothing to actually get hold of here-tantalising as it may be.............OK she (if she existed) may have said something but her reasons/knowledge,or 'recollection' are spurious at the least I say

Suzi
      Last edited by Suzi; 07-20-2008, 05:41 PM.
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi emlodik

Think yourself lucky that you didnt go on a J P d-L tour.

By now you would be questioning everything!

Coral

Comment

Originally posted by coral View Post
          Hi emlodik

By now you would be questioning everything!

Coral
          I haven't heard of that tour. Could you elaborate?
          What's all this then?

Comment

Heeeeeeeeee!! Go on Coral!!! Elaborate!!!! and we'll all join in the chorus!!!!

Comment

I went on a walk nearly 2 years ago and I was really disappointed. I took a friend and was constantly having to correct what was being said to her. I did it quietly and politely so as not to annoy the tour guide but I was really disappointed!
              I am taking a friend of mine down to the docklands exhibit and we are going to take a tour but I will lead it this time!
              In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Good plan Kat- I'm sure you know where you're going but check it out on a map first and beware of the underground walkway bits on the way to Mitre Sq if you're starting from Bucks Row/Durward St that can get a tad confusing to 'come up' at the right place!!!

Failing that get a GOOD tour!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mind you it's fun to do it on your own and make sure to get a curry in the Sheraz aka The Frying Pan on the way!!!
                Whatever happens.........don't be beguiled by a little man in a deer stalker hat promising you La tour de la tours!!!!

Suz xx
                Last edited by Suzi; 07-20-2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Ooh no I won't. The best bit of the tour I went on was going for a gin in the ten bells!
                  In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                    Whatever happens.........don't be beguiled by a little man in a deer stalker hat
                    ...it's like a warning straight out of Grimm's Fairy Tales!
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

No Sam- it's worse!!!!

Comment

WARNING!!!!!! WARNING!!!!!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	jpdl.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	654420Parental Guidance Advised

Comment

I think I might let Philip elaborate on this one. That should keep him busy for a few hours!

Coral

Comment

Originally posted by coral View Post
                            Hi emlodik

Coral
                            Maybe he did!
                            (Which would explain a few things.)

All the best
                            The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Can't elaborate, Coral. I'm laughing too loud at Suzi's photo.

Hey, kids. You want to go with the most bonkers and ill-informed tour guide in the world? The guy pictured above is yer man. He's barking, he has a rather nasty little past, he knows nothing about anything but in his opinion he is the God of Ripperology.

The God of Ripperology that takes people to 29 Hanbury Street (which apparently still stands) and shows the location of Dutfields Yard being on the other side of the street, past the junction with Fairclough Street.

And this is the man that shouted out at a WS1888 meeting that Rob's and mine's book was rubbish because we had the location of George Yard Buildings wrong... apparently it's not where William Stewart photographed it in 1938 and Stewart Evans did the same in 1967 - it was the homeless women's shelter built in 1885 next to The White Hart all along! Doh! Silly rest of the world! Thank God we have him to look up to. It's amazing that the building was demolished in 1972 but it's still there now.

PHILIP
                              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Well a minute or two Coral!!!

Doesn't take long to type *****$%$%$£$£$"£"**** does it He he!!
                                Yep that could explain a LOT about 'THAT' tour!!!

Suz x

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Frip!!!! it's just PURRfect isn't it!!!! God of Ripperology!- Don't forget he's a Lord High everything else -an Ipsisimus of some description-Crowley's best mate-a descendant of Robin Hood- and probably the Pope as well heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Oh and Sherlock Holmes too hence the 'at!!
                                Last edited by Suzi; 07-20-2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X