The Weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    there's nothing to suggest that the throat wounds were infected...
    ... that should have been "inflicted". Curse this predictive text!
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Shouldn`t that be neck wounds.
      Damn predictive text.

Comment

Not for mine or Wickerman's version of events. Eddowes' cheekbones would only have been about four or so inches apart.
        Again, we're only looking at a span of perhaps five inches, and there's nothing to suggest that the throat wounds were infected in a single, downward chop.
        I have set out below what Dr Biggs said in relation to the topic being discussed here

" Much of the description is vague and potentially ambiguous. Repeated use of ‘about’ implies estimations rather than measurements of wounds, and the assumption that a long-bladed knife must have been used is not valid: a short or medium blade could have been used to inflict such injuries. (I’m not saying that I think a particular blade was or was not used, I’m just saying it is not possible to be certain from the description and ‘measurements’ in this case.

As with much of what went on ‘back in the day’, learned medical men would assert things without backup, and this would be taken as fact without challenge. By way of example, it is not possible to say that all injuries were caused by the same instrument, comment on the blade’s sharpness or suggest that the injuries were caused with ‘great violence’. This is just somebody giving their opinion as though it were fact, and giving it in such a way that it is virtually meaningless. Saying that the wounds were made ‘downwards’ means nothing without a frame of reference. Stating that the wounds were made ‘from left to right’ is not as clear as it might at first seem, and of course cannot be relied upon. The witness states that the injuries might have been done by a left-handed person’. But equally, they could have been done by a right-handed person. Or a one-handed person!

I could go on, but I don’t want to sound overly harsh when the witness was just doing what was the norm back then. What is important to realize is that much of the myth and legend that has become ‘fact’ over the decades might be based upon testimony such as this... and therefore, is open to question?

All that can be taken with ‘certainty’ from that paragraph is that there were apparent sharp force wounds to the neck and abdomen. Many other things seem to have been ‘assumed’. The weapon was ‘probably’ a knife, but there is no guarantee of this (and the size / shape / sharpness / etc. cannot be guessed from the description of the wounds). There could have been more than one weapon. The assailant could have been right or left-handed... death might have been caused by blood loss from the wounds... but could also have arisen from a different mechanism (such as a cardiac air embolus or a tension pneumothorax). Some (or all) of the injuries could have been inflicted after death. Has the possibility of self-inflicted injury been satisfactorily excluded, or just dismissed? Etc.

Much of what is ‘known’ appears to be little more than subjective opinion / assumption / guesswork. Even if we can accept all of the ‘objective’ record as fact, there is so little of this available now that it becomes difficult to draw any firm conclusions this far down the line."

Dr Biggs full assessment of the medical evidence in these murders can be found in my book, now available in both kindle and paperback

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
          I have set out below what Dr Biggs said in relation to the topic being discussed here

" Much of the description is vague and potentially ambiguous. Repeated use of ‘about’ implies estimations rather than measurements of wounds, and the assumption that a long-bladed knife must have been used is not valid: a short or medium blade could have been used to inflict such injuries..."
          Thanks, Trevor (and Dr Biggs, of course )

That's good to know.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
            Shouldn`t that be neck wounds.
            Damn predictive text.
            Lol!!!
            "Is all that we see or seem
            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Theres a special place in Help for the person who invented autocorrect.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Lol !!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  Clever!
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I think at least in some of the cases there was something akin to a fileting knife used, and in some, something more substantial. Although I believe in Martha's case that 2 men were involved.... which explains the single, much larger wound, when compared with the pen knife wounds...I digress ...but I don't believe that its a certainty that a single killer did not have more than one weapon on him at the time. He may have been carrying work tools, or just a few choices.
                    Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                      I think at least in some of the cases there was something akin to a fileting knife used, and in some, something more substantial. Although I believe in Martha's case that 2 men were involved.... which explains the single, much larger wound, when compared with the pen knife wounds...I digress ...but I don't believe that its a certainty that a single killer did not have more than one weapon on him at the time. He may have been carrying work tools, or just a few choices.
                      I had the feeling that the killer had at least two knives on his person,and perhaps later on one was ditched and the better of the two used. It might be impossible to determine what the knives were actually used for before becoming murder weapons as no accurate description or a positive ID was given-ie Yes the knife used was a kitchen knife from Selfridges and could be bought for 1 shilling in the homewares department. It is even possible that the Killer was able to forge his own knives.

Comment

Dr. Philips on Chapman -
                        He should say that the instrument used at the throat and abdomen was the same. It must have been a very sharp knife with a thin narrow blade, and must have been at least 6 in. to 8 in. in length, probably longer. He should say that the injuries could not have been inflicted by a bayonet or a sword bayonet. They could have been done by such an instrument as a medical man used for post-mortem purposes, but the ordinary surgical cases might not contain such an instrument. Those used by the slaughtermen, well ground down, might have caused them. He thought the knives used by those in the leather trade would not be long enough in the blade.
                        Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
                          No not the song by the best rock band ever...

Not seen much chat about the weapon(s) used by Jack. Where multiple weapons identified or did he have a favourite blade?

Wonder what happened to them? I guess they would be a great find...

(Apologies if this has been discussed to death...)
                          Hi Geddy

Where multiple weapons identified or did he have a favourite blade?

its always been my contention that the rippers first (or early first recorded attack) was on Millwood. a small bladed (clasp) knife was used.

having realized this wasnt enough,next time he brings a larger knife. The attack on Tabram may have been with two weapons-the majority with his clasp knife, which he went with in the heat of the moment and the knife he was accustomed to using, before finishing her off with the larger knife.

from there on he only used the longer knife.

It not only fits the evidence, but also the escalation and perfection of MO seen in serial killers.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                          X