The Weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Weapon

No not the song by the best rock band ever...

Not seen much chat about the weapon(s) used by Jack. Where multiple weapons identified or did he have a favourite blade?

Wonder what happened to them? I guess they would be a great find...

(Apologies if this has been discussed to death...)

Couldn’t resist it.

Comment

Nichols inquest: "cuts must have been caused by a long-bladed knife, moderately sharp, and used with great violence"

Chapman inquest: "the instrument used at the throat and abdomen was the same. It must have been a very sharp knife with a thin narrow blade, and must have been at least 6 in. to 8 in. in length, probably longer. He should say that the injuries could not have been inflicted by a bayonet or a sword bayonet. They could have been done by such an instrument as a medical man used for post-mortem purposes, but the ordinary surgical cases might not contain such an instrument. Those used by the slaughtermen, well ground down, might have caused them. He thought the knives used by those in the leather trade would not be long enough in the blade."

Eddowes inquest: "The wounds on the face and abdomen prove that they were inflicted by a sharp, pointed knife, and that in the abdomen by one six inches or longer."

No opinion on the knife offered at the Stride and Kelly inquests, apparently.

Comment

Donald Rumbelow's "Complete Jack the Ripper" has an interesting discussion (and picture) of a post-mortem knife which might at one time have belonged to the Ripper.
        - Ginger

Comment

Liston type surgeon's knife seems to meet the parameters of what the wounds are described as.

Which begs the question, if JtR was a butcher or fishmonger, why would he need a surgeon's knife?
          Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

And there was this (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...al-killer.html), which seems to have come to naught.
            Last edited by Ginger; 09-24-2018, 04:15 PM.
            - Ginger

Comment

As things have kind of slowed, I was having a wee think about the weapon or weapons that Jack may have used. I am assuming that he had these in his possession sometime before he murdered as I have not heard of any stall holder or shop owner coming forward to say that they sold a cache of weapons to someone who looked like they were going to use them. Also there does not seem much to be written about what was used either. It's a pity that the Police and Press didn't publicise this, as it may have jogged someone's memory about having sold such items or having them stolen.

I wonder if Mr John Richardson had knives stolen along with the tools when he got broken into weeks before Annie Chapman's murder?

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                Liston type surgeon's knife seems to meet the parameters of what the wounds are described as.

Which begs the question, if JtR was a butcher or fishmonger, why would he need a surgeon's knife?
                I don't see why it should necessarily have been a surgical knife when any thin, sharp knife of adequate length would have sufficed. (Incidentally, given the nature of the wounds, I can't quite see why the knife needed to be particularly long. Not short, by any means, but 8" seems somewhat unnecessary.)
                Last edited by Sam Flynn; 11-21-2018, 07:59 AM.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Like everything else about the Ripper it seems as if the knife shape, type or size is still an open verdict.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    I don't see why it should necessarily have been a surgical knife when any thin, sharp knife of adequate length would have sufficed. (Incidentally, given the nature of the wounds, I can't quite see why the knife needed to be particularly long. Not short, by any means, but 8" seems somewhat unnecessary.)
                    I thought for your V shapes on Eddowes you would have a very long knife involved?

Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly's heads were nearly severed off.
                    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

How one conceals an 8 inch knife is something I rarely see discussed.

Comment

Just ask one of us Aussies
                        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
                          How one conceals an 8 inch knife is something I rarely see discussed.
                          Very carefully, I imagine
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                            I thought for your V shapes on Eddowes you would have a very long knife involved?
                            Not for mine or Wickerman's version of events. Eddowes' cheekbones would only have been about four or so inches apart.
                            Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly's heads were nearly severed off.
                            Again, we're only looking at a span of perhaps five inches, and there's nothing to suggest that the throat wounds were infected in a single, downward chop.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
                              Nichols inquest: "cuts must have been caused by a long-bladed knife, moderately sharp, and used with great violence"

Chapman inquest: "the instrument used at the throat and abdomen was the same. It must have been a very sharp knife with a thin narrow blade, and must have been at least 6 in. to 8 in. in length, probably longer. He should say that the injuries could not have been inflicted by a bayonet or a sword bayonet. They could have been done by such an instrument as a medical man used for post-mortem purposes, but the ordinary surgical cases might not contain such an instrument. Those used by the slaughtermen, well ground down, might have caused them. He thought the knives used by those in the leather trade would not be long enough in the blade."

Eddowes inquest: "The wounds on the face and abdomen prove that they were inflicted by a sharp, pointed knife, and that in the abdomen by one six inches or longer."

No opinion on the knife offered at the Stride and Kelly inquests, apparently.
                              ---Early in the Kelly inquest,during the 1st witness's (Barnett) testimony it was understood Phillips would possibly talk about the weapon in a future day/date.Phillips was not scheduled/told to testify at that day's inquest and was wondering if he should testify that day.But something happened later in the inquest to cause it,as well as additional post-mortem info,to not be done.

The Star
                              LONDON. MONDAY, 12 NOVEMBER, 1888
                              (Barnett)
                              Did you ever hear her say she was afraid of anyone? - Yes, she used to get me to bring her evening papers and see if there was another murder. Beyond that she was not afraid of anyone that I know of.

Here a note was handed into the court from Dr. Phillips asking if he should attend to-day to give his evidence.
                              The Coroner thought he should just give them roughly an idea of the cause of death, leaving the details of his evidence for a future day, and dispatched a message to that effect,

Echo
                              London, U.K.
                              12 November 1888
                              The Coroner said that the other portion of Dr. Phillips' evidence would be given at the adjourned inquiry.

Evening News
                              London, U.K.
                              13 November 1888

THE ABRUPT TERMINATION OF THE INQUEST

Some surprise was created among those present at the inquest in the Shoreditch Town Hall by the abrupt termination of the inquiry, as it was
                              well known that further evidence would be forthcoming. The coroner himself distinctly told the jury that he was only going to take the preliminary
                              portion of Dr. G.B. Phillips's evidence, the remainder of which would be more fully given at the adjourned inquiry.

------
                              Last edited by Varqm; 11-22-2018, 01:53 AM.
                              Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
                              M. Pacana

Comment

Working...
                              X