Bloody Technology!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody Technology!!!!

I’ve just had a new Broadband hub so I’ve just been trying to sort out my HP printer. I used the set-up wizard to connect it to the net using my new password. Everything seemed to go fine and my printer screen said that it was now connected but when I click print on my iPad it just tells me that the printer is offline. I haven’t a clue. I printed off a sheet of crap written in Martian which meant nothing to me. It mentions HP Utility but there’s nothing called that one there. There’s an HP app but when I click on it all that comes up is Siri and search, notifications and background app refresh which is on.

Can anyone solve this issue in easy to understand language before I smash the thing up!

Thanks
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Do you have a modem, or some central point as an internet hub?
    Does it have a reset button?
    If reset doesn't work (speaking from experience) sometimes I have to disconnect the power to the modem and wait 3-5 mins or so.
    I know they can be damn frustrating, you can often cause more trouble than you fix by resetting, but right now you have to try something.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      Do you have a modem, or some central point as an internet hub?
      Does it have a reset button?
      If reset doesn't work (speaking from experience) sometimes I have to disconnect the power to the modem and wait 3-5 mins or so.
      I know they can be damn frustrating, you can often cause more trouble than you fix by resetting, but right now you have to try something.
      I’ve followed to guideline action Wick. I unplugged at the socket and at the back of the printer then plugged back in after 2 minutes. I double checked the printer and it’s definitely connected to the network but when I click print on my pad it says ‘printer offline.’ The printer has worked fine until now. Someone Ona forum mentioned that a problem might be connected to a recent IOS update but I haven’t a clue.

And to add to the confusion I just thought I’d have a crack at printing from my phone (Android) which I’ve never done before. I ‘found’ the printer and clicked print. Would you believe it…..it printed, no problem.

Give me strength. You’ve gathered my attitude to conspiracies by now Wick but I’m telling you…..this is a conspiracy to drive me insane!
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I'd guess the problem is with the ipad not recognising the signal from the printer.
        I stick with a desktop, can't tolerate those ipads, my wife has three of them and she still prefers the desktop.

You will have checked through 'settings' on the ipad no doubt?, I have never tried to print from her ipad, but its an old model might not even do it. I know I've never seen a print function.
        Sorry, what can I say...stick to a desktop, perhaps?
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          I'd guess the problem is with the ipad not recognising the signal from the printer.
          I stick with a desktop, can't tolerate those ipads, my wife has three of them and she still prefers the desktop.

You will have checked through 'settings' on the ipad no doubt?, I have never tried to print from her ipad, but its an old model might not even do it. I know I've never seen a print function.
          Sorry, what can I say...stick to a desktop, perhaps?
          I’m going to try phoning a helpline tomorrow. If that doesn’t work it will be the Samaritans.

Thanks anyway Wick.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Try printing from another device, like a friend's laptop
            Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Hi Herlock

If you print a document from your Mac but the document doesn’t appear at the printer, try these suggestions.

Also try checking for updated printer software/driver. If all else fails, delete the printer from your device and reinstall it. Good luck.
              Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post
                Try printing from another device, like a friend's laptop
                Cheers Andrew, I’ll try it if the customer service line is no help.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                  Hi Herlock

If you print a document from your Mac but the document doesn’t appear at the printer, try these suggestions.

Also try checking for updated printer software/driver. If all else fails, delete the printer from your device and reinstall it. Good luck.
                  Thanks for that Enigma.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Is your iPad able to connect to the wifi and use the internet fine? If not then the below may help.
                    ​​​​​​​
                    Often when a new modem is installed by a new provider that modem's wifi settings are over-zealous with protection settings. You will need to get into the modem settings and adjust it there. If you know what to look for and know what to change.

What was once okay connecting to the wifi modem may not be connecting anymore.

One solution would be a hardline cable connection to the router (modem) using a CAT5 cable that then connects to the iPad.

You will need two cables:It will pick up shared devices on the network such as the printer and can connect to the internet much faster.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                    JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
                      Is your iPad able to connect to the wifi and use the internet fine? If not then the below may help.
                      ​​​​​​​
                      Often when a new modem is installed by a new provider that modem's wifi settings are over-zealous with protection settings. You will need to get into the modem settings and adjust it there. If you know what to look for and know what to change.

What was once okay connecting to the wifi modem may not be connecting anymore.

One solution would be a hardline cable connection to the router (modem) using a CAT5 cable that then connects to the iPad.

You will need two cables:It will pick up shared devices on the network such as the printer and can connect to the internet much faster.
                      Cheers Erobitha,

Is a modem the same thing as a ‘hub’ because the advisor called it a ‘hub.’

My iPad isn’t connected by any cable. The only cable on the printer is the power cable from printer to socket.

Im completely confused. The printer says that it’s ‘connected’ after I used the set up wizard to add my new wi-fi password but when I click ‘print’ on my pad it says ‘connecting to the printer’ which it’s never said before. Then it comes up ‘printer offline.’
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I think that there’s an HP customer service phone line which I’m going to try later as I’m just about to go and get my 2nd COVID jab.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          I think that there’s an HP customer service phone line which I’m going to try later as I’m just about to go and get my 2nd COVID jab.
                          Hub/Router/Modem are all interchangeable words but mean the same thing - the central box that controls your WiFi.

What was connecting wirelessly before is not doing so now - the only change has been the hub. Ergo the hub is the issue. In effect the hub needs to ‘approve’ the iPad to connect to the printer and internet. Once that is done it will work.

Whoever installed your hub should be able to walk you through how to do that, or their tech support can.
                          JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Hub/Router/Modem are all interchangeable words but mean the same thing - the central box that controls your WiFi.

What was connecting wirelessly before is not doing so now - the only change has been the hub. Ergo the hub is the issue. In effect the hub needs to ‘approve’ the iPad to connect to the printer and internet. Once that is done it will work.

Whoever installed your hub should be able to walk you through how to do that, or their tech support can.
                            My brother set it up for me but he’s only slightly less clueless than me. I added the passwords to connect the devices. What I can’t understand though is that I can use this same printer, via the same network from my Android phone with no problem at all. Every device using the network is operating perfectly. The printer itself is saying that it’s connected. The pad however is saying that the printer is offline.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

My brother set it up for me but he’s only slightly less clueless than me. I added the passwords to connect the devices. What I can’t understand though is that I can use this same printer, via the same network from my Android phone with no problem at all. Every device using the network is operating perfectly. The printer itself is saying that it’s connected. The pad however is saying that the printer is offline.
                              Trust me it is the settings on your modem not allowing the Mac device on. It happens all the time.
                              JayHartley.com

Comment

Working...
                              X