No announcement yet.

Other Mysteies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Al Bundy. I tried logging out and in again but the problem remains.
    Thank you JM,
    Under Social Chat I see the following subheadings:

Creative Writing and Expression
    Pub Talk
    Shades of Whitechapel

Looks like I am denied the other subforum.
    Computers eh.

Comment

Thank you Al Bundy. I tried logging out and in again but the problem remains.
      Thank you JM,
      Under Social Chat I see the following subheadings:

Creative Writing and Expression
      Pub Talk
      Shades of Whitechapel

Looks like I am denied the other subforum.
      Computers eh.

Comment

Just open the forum up. It's depriving the chat of people Googling the case who are interested and might join - perhaps even with new information. All to keep one person out? Having to ban someone > literally blocking the forum off to people.

I feel the other mysteries are being deprived of newcomers, and that's a shame because new people have new insights. Discussing the same exact ideas among the same people for 30 years hasn't got anywhere. Only when someone goes and sees the files.

Comment

Nice sentiments, Wallace, but this is first and foremost a Jack the Ripper forum. Apart from that, there are Jack the Ripper threads here where even some experienced registered users can't control themselves; opening them up to all-comers could be disastrous.
          Last edited by Sam Flynn; 11-23-2019, 08:28 PM.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            Nice sentiments, Wallace, but this is first and foremost a Jack the Ripper forum. Apart from that, there are Jack the Ripper threads here where even some experienced registered users can't control themselves; opening them up to all-comers could be disastrous.
            Fine, but can we the great unwashed at least read them? i haven't been able to access Other Mysteries in any way for months and have emailed twice to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody75111 View Post

Fine, but can we the great unwashed at least read them? i haven't been able to access Other Mysteries in any way for months and have emailed twice to no avail.
              A new member has to accumulate enough posts on the Ripper forums (reminder-this is a Ripper forum) in order to achieve a promotion. Then they can see the ‘Other Mysteries’ threads.
              I don’t know how many posts it takes to receive your first promotion, but join in discussions about the Whitechapel murders and everything will eventually work itself out.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post

A new member has to accumulate enough posts on the Ripper forums (reminder-this is a Ripper forum) in order to achieve a promotion. Then they can see the ‘Other Mysteries’ threads.
                I don’t know how many posts it takes to receive your first promotion, but join in discussions about the Whitechapel murders and everything will eventually work itself out.

JM
                Okay, I understand. It's just I used to have access before the redesign and was puzzled why I was no longer allowed to do this. I guess i'll never get access now because I have no real wish to get involved in discussions. I have very little new to contribute to the Ripper threads but enjoy reading the different views offered. I think I've read most of the threads by now, including the archives so I guess I'll be seeing ya!

If anyone knows any sites that do have comments on the topics to be found in "Other Mysteries" please let me know I'll be very grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody75111 View Post

Okay, I understand. It's just I used to have access before the redesign and was puzzled why I was no longer allowed to do this. I guess i'll never get access now because I have no real wish to get involved in discussions. I have very little new to contribute to the Ripper threads but enjoy reading the different views offered. I think I've read most of the threads by now, including the archives so I guess I'll be seeing ya!

If anyone knows any sites that do have comments on the topics to be found in "Other Mysteries" please let me know I'll be very grateful.
                  From a perusal of the members' list, and the status of the members, it appears that one is promoted to Constable when one has made 50 posts. Whether this is a sufficient number of posts to unlock the Other Mysteries thread is something someone else might be able to answer.
                  Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

It appears that 50+ is enough to see Other Mysteries, since I can.
                    "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

My main interest on Casebook over many years has been the A6 Case thread. It's nowhere near as active as it was, in fairness, but it seems odd to me that if someone who has new information about the Case, he won't be able to post it! I would suspect that there are other threads potentially in the same situation. Does this restriction apply on JTR Forums, anyone know?

Graham
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

So in order to look at non-ripper related threads I have to pollute ripper threads with 50 piffling posts: opinions, piffle, rather than informed research.

Because although being interested in the ripper and the LVP and a reader of this casebook for over twenty years, I really have little to contribute. My motto: "if you have nothing useful to add keep quiet", otherwise known as "Let the fool remain silent and be taken for a sage".

I am not a born researcher. Maybe I would vote on one of those voting things, eg "who do you think...". Luckily they are rare.

But otherwise, what I say would be merely my version of "common sense". Which for instance was deeply challenged in the old debate about what the word "under" meant when PC Long said "the cloth was under the writing" (paraphrased). The range of possibilities only excluded that of the cloth actually being dropped "down under", and being transported (pardon the expression) to Goulston Street by a miracle of quantum mechanics. My input would merely have added to the flames.

So be it. I thought the suggestion that new members could only *read* the Nana Mouskouries was exceedingly mature, and I recommend it to the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          My main interest on Casebook over many years has been the A6 Case thread. It's nowhere near as active as it was, in fairness, but it seems odd to me that if someone who has new information about the Case, he won't be able to post it! I would suspect that there are other threads potentially in the same situation. Does this restriction apply on JTR Forums, anyone know?

Graham
                          Yes, one of the great things about this site is the A6 murder thread. I'm actually writing a script at the moment..ish that features the A6 murder in the background. That's why I may have come across as a little annoyed that I was denied access. It was invaluable. Anyway I can just work on something else while I strive to reach the magic 50 posts. 41 to go! Actually i did enjoy myself a bit writing my Ripper posts and was very happy and surprised to get some responses. Thanks everyone! It's just I'm far more comfortable writing fiction.

Comment

I know someone who has been looking for a suitable screenwriter for over 11 years.

Fact based,not fiction.
                            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I'm sure jmenges pointed out before, the reason the "other mysteries" is off limits is because of the amount of "sock puppets" on it in the past, particularly the A6 thread.
                              By setting the activation at 50 posts, you either have to be a genuine member, or a very commited sock puppet.
                              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

The A6 Thread has probably got the site record for bannings and suspensions, and the Thread itself was suspended for a time. I myself got a ban merely for telling someone to 'shut up'....well, fair enough, I suppose. As I see it, the main problem with the A6, a highly-contentious subject at the best of times, in its heyday was the sheer level of venom, threats and personal abuse, and I doubt if every single one of the culprits had any real interest in the subject. It's quietened down now, thankfully, but somewhat disappointingly has condensed down to a relatively small number of posters. I can understand Admin for wishing to straighten things out on the A6 (and other threads), but I do feel the 'qualification' of 50 posts on Ripper subjects is a bit much. Oddly, as I see it, the one current subject which has generated almost as much angst as the A6 is actually a Ripper subject - the Diary!

I hope you can get back on it soon, Cody75111!

Graham
                                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Working...
                                X