Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first post on this forum so hello to everyone.

I was 11 when James Hanratty was executed and I can still remember exactly where I was (at school) as the fateful hour approached. I don't know if it's because I was aware of the case at the time but this has always gripped my imagination and, even after reading all your fabulous posts and the stuff written in the media, I am still sitting on the fence and unable to decide 100% if the case has been irrevocably proved beyond all doubt by the 2002 DNA tests.

I don't want to repeat all the stuff that has already been posted but I will hope to add my own thoughts to the discussion. There is bound to be some overlap so forgive me for that.

I feel, as many of you do, that on the basis of the evidence presented at court, the verdict was flawed and Hanratty should not have been convicted. Perhaps it was a mistake to let Hanratty testify but we shall never know if that alone sealed his fate.

It seems that Miss Storie's identification was a crucial factor. She has always maintained her certainty that it was Hanratty who murdered her lover and raped and shot her in the layby at Deadmans Hill. However, it seems that her identification was made purely on the sound of Hanratty's voice and she did not immediately recognise him visually. She had previously picked out an innocent man in the first line up so I don't have complete faith in her ability to be sure about Hanratty in the second line up. Since Hanratty was hanged she is hardly likely to change her mind and admit to being unsure even if she has had any doubts in private. In fact it would be fair to say she has convinced herself beyond doubt of Hanratty's guilt.

There seems to be some conflicting initial reports of the happenings of that night and I wonder how ready Miss Storie was to admit what she was doing in the cornfield in Dorney Reach? Did the initial account of picking up a hitch hiker come from a reluctance to admit that she was having an affair with Michael Gregsten? When did the story change to a more truthful account of what she and Michael were doing?

Was there a conspiracy? I think there was! I can't accept that James Hanratty just happened to come across the couple in a cornfield at Dorney Reach by accident. The couple had been having an affair for several years. It was well known by Janet Gregsten. I think that what happened was part of a plot to stop the affair. Just my own opinion and I have no proof of that ... yet! Too many coincidences and too many people all seemingly knowing each other. Janet Gregsten looks incredibly relaxed in the photos I have seen, especially the one where she is sitting at home and a newspaper is seen on the floor beside her proclaiming the headline "Hanratty to Die".

The DNA evidence should put all the speculation to bed. James Hanratty was beyond all doubt the A6 murderer ... right? I'm not so sure! I hear conflicting reports of the DNA of three persons on the knickers and then the 2002 DNA test reveals only one DNA and that is of course that of James Hanratty. Convenient! Possibly! I'm not a geneticist but then neither were any of the appeal panel so I have to rely on so called expert testimony. If an expert witness claims that it is two million to one that this match is unique then who am I to query the fact!

But I do know some facts which are sufficient in my mind for reasonable doubt to prevail:

DNA techniques did not exist at the time of the trial so no special care was taken to keep exhibits apart and the items were handled by many people. Therefore cross contamination was not only possible but almost a certainty.

The latest DNA amplification technique requires the most miniscule amount of DNA to achieve a match, therefore the slightest cross contamination can create such a match. Remember that no precautions were taken at the time to keep items apart and to handle them in any way that would eliminate the risk of transferring DNA from item to item.

Hanratty's trousers were washed and the resulting liquid kept in a phial (or phials) for analysis. It is believed that one of these phials broke and the liquid spilt onto other items. I wonder to what extent this has muddied the waters and transferred Hanratty's DNA to other items used in the prosecution? At the time of the trial perhaps this did not matter because the analysis of the contents of the phial had already been done. But the results of subsequent DNA analysis may be skewed by spillage from the phial. Only a maybe but still significant enough to raise some doubt!

Is DNA analysis as foolproof as we are led to believe? The recent Madeleine McCann DNA blunder has brought criticism of the Forensic Science Service:

Extract:

The claim about the DNA evidence is likely to cause the Forensic Science Service embarrassment. Last week representatives of the service went out to Portugal with Leicestershire police to try to prevent the information being made public. Mark Williams-Thomas, a former police officer and a child protection expert, who has knowledge of the report, which dedicates 50 pages to the DNA evidence, said it was "damning".

Full article:

This is London magazine has been established for over 65 years, providing readers with information about events, exhibitions, music, concerts, theatre and dining. As life returns to normal, Londoners are heading back into the Capital and many visitors are already coming from further afield.

I have more to say but this is a long first post so I'll stop at this juncture. Maybe say more later.
    Last edited by JamesDean; 08-03-2008, 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Hi JamesDean,

Welcome to a most fascinating thread. You have submitted an excellent first post and raise a lot of important and valid points. You're obviously very knowledgeable about the A6 murder and your input will be greatly appreciated by most people on this site.

At the time of James Hanratty's execution I was one month short of my 10th birthday. I can't say I remember too much at that particular time about the whole affair, I was probably too engrossed in playing football with my mates. Some years later when it did attract my attention, I discovered (like many other people have) that far too much just didn't add up. This murder case was much different to the vast majority of murder cases, most of which could be said to be 'cut and dried'. The anomalies were innumerable. Taking just one example, how many previous cases in British Criminal history did a vital prosecution witness commit suicide the day after a condemned man's appeal was turned down ?

The lies, coincidences, convenient disregard of important witnesses, contradictions in evidence and 'amazing intuitions' just defy logic. Very much a 'unique' case.

Comment

• hi Jamesdean

welcome to the forum
        brilliant first post. i agree with almost everything you said
        atb

larue

Comment

• Hi JamesDean,

Welcome. Brilliant first post. Like you, I am not 100% sure Hanratty was the killer but I am a little more sure than I was when I first joined this thread. I think it is possible that there was a conspiracy, although I am not convinced Janet herself was involved. I also think it was a bit strange that Hanratty was wondering around a place like that (he seemed to prefer citites) and just happened across the couple. However, it is possible he was intending to rob local houses, saw the car and just acted on impulse.

You points about the DNA are very valid. I am not convinced that cross contamination did not occur. No forensic evidence was found at the scene that would incriminate Hanratty. The gun and cartridges certainly link Hanratty to the crime but I can't help thinking that they seemed to have been 'planted'.

Having said all of this, Hanratty was a prolific criminal who had murky ties. His brother described how Hanratty could always get money from people at the club he frequented because he was 'owed'. I have a feeling that Hanratty was into things of which perhaps his family and defence team were unaware.

It is all very perplexing and I am not so sure the truth will ever be known.

Comment

• Hi jimarilyn, larue, Limehouse,

I have been fascinated by this case for many years but never gone out of my way to investigate it. I have never visited the murder location on the A6 but I was very close to it last Thursday evening without, at the time, realising the fact. I had been travelling down the A1 to visit a friend in Hertford and part of the northern A1 was closed and I was diverted via the M18 to the M1. As this diversion was unplanned I was unsure about my route as I wanted to get back to the A1, preferably at Baldock services so I could stop for a coffee and let my friend know where I was. I decided to stop at services on the M1 so I could look at a map and I called in at Newport Pagnell. I saw that I could come off at J13 and take the A507 across to Baldock. This road passes via Ampthill and crosses the A6 near to Clophill. I had never taken time to look up the exact wherabouts of the infamous layby but after I got back to my home on Friday evening I looked it up and to my surprise I realised that I had been very close to it at the Clophill junction of A507 and A6. It seems like fate has drawn me there and next time I travel south I will go and take a look. I know it has changed over the years and the layby now forms part of the northbound carriageway but nontheless I have to go and see for myself.

I know Dorney Reach as I worked for some years in Bracknell and lived in Marlow so I have driven on various routes through Maidenhead and Taplow on innumerable occasions.

This case has so many unanswered questions and it could well have been an Agatha Christie novel. Perhaps in time there will be some missing pieces from the jigsaw that are found and we can gradually get to the bottom of this mystery.

Comment

• Guilty: Not in my book.

Hello and welcome to you James Dean,

Great name if I may say so.

I don’t think the case would make a good novel and far less so a film. It would be too ridiculous; the coincidences would be unbelievable and there would not be a conclusive ending.
              I was 10 years old at the time of the crime and 11 at the time of the execution. I can remember all the talk about the crime and the search for the killer but strangely have absolutely no recollection of the execution.

I became interested in 1971 when Paul Foot’s book was serialised in the Sun, he convinced me of Hanratty’s innocence Bob Woffinden reinforced that view. I even went to Manchester Adult College of Education to study the case in the 1980’s; they ran a course every year I think. I view the DNA with much suspicion. I myself mentioned the conflict with regards to the Madeline McCann case.
              Where did the other profiles disappear to and why did Hanratty’s, the one they were looking for, conveniently remain? I think the only other suspect was the guilty man and he got away with it. Valerie Storie picked out Michael Clark who we find out was very similar in appearance to Alphon. In my opinion the mere fact that she picked out Michael Clark should have thrown serious doubts on her reliability to identify the gunman. She took ages to identify Hanratty and then it seems only by voice. He was the only cockney on the parade, his hair looked ridiculous and we don’t know what coaching she privately got from Acott prior to the parade. It does seem that the jury convicted almost solely on her evidence
              Hanratty gave up his samples and clothes freely; Alphon never told Acott where his case was and it supposedly contained a black pair of ladies gloves.
              Without the DNA Hanratty must be not guilty. More and more people are now again questioning that DNA so it may not be over just yet.

Incidentally has anyone seen or heard a view from Woffinden post DNA?

Nice talking to you James Dean.

Tony.

Comment

• Another recent miscarriage.

Hello everyone,

For James Hanratty read Barry George. Bit of a loner, bit odd, learning difficulties, and not even in the wrong place at the wrong time but came to the attention of the police somehow.

Arrested, tried, and convicted –life imprisonment.

This very high profile case happened post DNA and was investigated by supposedly a top police service with state of the art forensics unlimited resources etc.
                “Nowadays we simply can’t get the wrong man, it’s not possible.” So say the police and the hanging and flogging brigade.

Erm? Yes I see what you mean.

Thank goodness state murder no longer exists.

Tony

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony View Post
                  * She took ages to identify Hanratty and then it seems only by voice. He was the only cockney on the parade, his hair looked ridiculous and we don’t know what coaching she privately got from Acott prior to the parade. It does seem that the jury convicted almost solely on her evidence
                  Hi Tony,
                  As usual a very astute and perceptive post.I've long suspected that Miss Storie (sounds a little like 'Mys-tery') was coached/coaxed by Acott because within the space of about a week not only had the killer's eyes changed from brown to pale blue (reminds me of the Crystal Gayle song "Don't it make my brown eyes blue") but his age had gone down from 30 to 25.

This change of eye colour seemed to coincide with Janet Gregsten's "amazing intuition" of August 31st when she spotted James Hanratty entering Burtol's cleaners and exclaimed to Bill Ewer that that was the man the police were looking for.Around this period of time Valerie Storie's health must have been in a delicate state, recovering from surgery and the effects of 4 or 5 bullets entering her body. She must have felt very vulnerable physically and mentally and very open to suggestions from the investigating police officer.Valerie's identikit photo, compiled on August 29th, indicated strongly that the killer had dark coloured eyes not pale coloured.

Incidentally the first use of identikit in Britain occurred just less than 6 months earlier. The link below is very revealing, see for yourselves.

Last edited by jimarilyn; 08-04-2008, 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Originally posted by jimarilyn View Post
                    For those familiar with Deadman's Hill, is the circled "X" anywhere near the spot where Michael Gregsten's body was found or am I way off ?
                    Hi jimarilyn

Did you get a definitive answer to your question in post 1062?

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesDean View Post
                      Hi jimarilyn

Did you get a definitive answer to your question in post 1062?
                      Hi JamesDean,

I was hoping that someone familiar with the crime scene at Deadman's Hill
                      (there are two or three on this thread) might have shed some light on this but alas no one did. The nearest I've ever been to Deadman's Hill was in July1977 when I attended an amazing Neil Diamond concert at Woburn Abbey which is about 8 to 10 miles away. Hopefully, one of these days I might get to visit Maulden and Dorney Reach to see if I can get a feel for these key places which played a major part in the A6 murder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony View Post
                        I don’t think the case would make a good novel and far less so a film. It would be too ridiculous; the coincidences would be unbelievable and there would not be a conclusive ending.
                        funny you should say that Tony. i have long thought that if agatha christie or dorothy leigh sayers had written this case as a poirot / marple or lord peter wimsey story, their reputations would have been in tatters. it completely disregards the convention of detective fiction writing, with all the clues in place in the narrative, and no stings in the tail in the form of new characters or events on the last page, titled 'forty years later' or somesuch.
                        atb

larue

Comment

• Good morning all,
                          I'm halfway through the L.Miller book, and have to say that - so far, anyway - I can't go along with the fierce reaction it's provoked in some quarters. The points he makes about JH's Liverpool and Rhyl alibis seem pretty damning to me...

Anyway, I'll keep reading.

Simon

Comment

• Hello Simon

The Liverpool alibi essentially revolved around Hanratty’s claim that he spent the night of the murder in a flat near Scotland Road which was rented by a man named John and his wife Lil, though he couldn’t remember their surname. Two other men were staying in the flat at the same time and only one of them was traced, Terry McNally, who refused to corroborate the alibi. He did know Hanratty having served time in prison with him and was eventually subpoenaed but McNally was of no help to Hanratty saying that he had never spent a night in a flat near Scotland Road, that he had been gainfully employed at the time of the murder and hadn’t seen Hanratty since leaving prison.

The flat was never found. Hanratty’s description should have enabled it to have been located and both the police and the defence tried to find it. He gave enough information, and had the flat actually existed, it would have been found.

Nothing was presented at the trial to substantiate Hanratty’s second alibi, so the jury’s deliberations included the fact that Hanratty had no alibi whatsoever for the time of the murder.

Kind regards,
                            Steve

Comment

• Hi Steve,

I agree, Hanratty changing his alibi was probably his undoing with the jury. I have always wondered (and expressed so here) whether he was fully expecting to be given an alibi by friends in Liverpool but when they heard what he was charged with simply refused to do so.

Having no alibi itself does not imply guilt. After all, no one reports having seen Hanratty anywhere near the abduction scene at the key times but then there are reports of him (or someone like him) being seen near areas where the car was abandoned.

Comment

• Hi Limehouse

I agree that not having an alibi is not proof of guilt, far from it. However, from our perspective all these years later, despite lots of attempts to establish an alibi and with none ever having been made, it does lend a lot of weight to the argument that Hanratty was the A6 killer.

As for the three-man alibi in Liverpool, it never existed. Hanratty described the flat down to the nearest detail:

The flat is right opposite the flower shop on Scotland Road, a phone box on the right side, a post office on the other side, second floor with a green door.

Hanratty was clutching at straws, relying on half-memories from his visits to Liverpool. There was even a suggestion at one point that Hanratty be taken to Liverpool to find the flat.

When he knew the Liverpool alibi had no chance he changed his mind and opted for another town he had some knowledge of. It probably didn’t matter too much where it was, providing it was a couple of hundred miles away from Dorney Common.

Kind regards,
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X