Mary Kelly. Where Else Can We Look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amanda Sumner View Post
    I think many of them were divorced from a lot of things. A fight for survival on a daily basis can't have been easy. However, I will concede that they may have heard of Lady Hamilton.
    I am pretty sure, though, that Mary Jane Kelly was not her real name....

Amanda
    G'day Amanda

Why are you so sure?

Just because we can't find her?

We can't find my Great grandfather either, but as dad knew him, for a short period anyway, we're pretty confident he existed.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi Gut,

I had a similar problem with my granddad. Couldn't find him in the records anywhere until I looked on the Old Bailey Online website (he was a bit of a rogue). I found two cases there that exactly matched family lore, and I then discovered, and it has subsequently been confirmed, that I had the wrong date and place of birth. I was looking in St George in the East, where I knew he had met my grandmother. But the OB cases showed he was a Spitalfields boy, and from there it all fell into place. The DOB we were working on was actually his baptism, which took place 3 years after his birth.

Perhaps all we need with MJK is a simple twist of fate that sets us on the right track.

One problem I think we have with her is trying to match every last detail of the hearsay life story that has come down to us via a short term partner and various neighbours and brothel-keepers.

MrB
      Last edited by MrBarnett; 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        G'day Amanda

Why are you so sure?

Just because we can't find her?

We can't find my Great grandfather either, but as dad knew him, for a short period anyway, we're pretty confident he existed.
        Hi Gut,

Mainly because the story she told Barnett does not fit with any records. No marriage record, no obvious explosion, no obvious Mr Davies. One would have thought there would have been at least one event in the records, somewhere, but nothing. Some people have searched for years and have got nowhere.

A feasible explanation is that Mary Kelly was not her real name.

I think that is very likely, based on the research into her that has been done so far.

Amanda

Comment

Hi Gut,

Mainly because the story she told Barnett does not fit with any records. No marriage record, no obvious explosion, no obvious Mr Davies. One would have thought there would have been at least one event in the records, somewhere, but nothing. Some people have searched for years and have got nowhere.

A feasible explanation is that Mary Kelly was not her real name.

I think that is very likely, based on the research into her that has been done so far.

Amanda
          Or her name was Marie Jeanette Kelly and the rest of her story was BS to try and gain sympathy.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I don't think she called herself Jeanette until she got back from France. Certainly her story is a story but I wonder why she lied.
            To hide?

What I do find intriguing is this name Lawrence. Apparently it has been mentioned before. I wonder if it's worth pursuing down that line? I'm sure people have already looked. If I had access to the records I would look myself. It's a great shame that those letters she received never materialised...
            She is certainly a mystery.

Comment

I don't think she called herself Jeanette until she got back from France.
              Well so we are lead to believe, but what name is on her death certificate?
              G U T

Comment

I don't think she called herself Jeanette until she got back from France. Certainly her story is a story but I wonder why she lied.
                To hide?

What I do find intriguing is this name Lawrence. Apparently it has been mentioned before. I wonder if it's worth pursuing down that line? I'm sure people have already looked. If I had access to the records I would look myself. It's a great shame that those letters she received never materialised...
                She is certainly a mystery.
                Hi Amanda

I think it would be worth investigating. I wonder where it came from also. I guess someone else had done their own research and produced the name on the link you posted.

You said you haven't got access to the records. I take it you don't have a subscription to ancestry. Good news they have a free access weekend starting now, until 23.59pm on the 21th Sep 2014. You might have to sign up to ancestry, but you don't need any card details etc
                Last edited by Natasha; 09-19-2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Does Jeanette have to have anything to do with France ? Aren't names like Jeanette or Bernadette names that Irish Catholic girls would be given at birth or confirmation?

MrB

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
                    Hi Amanda

I think it would be worth investigating. I wonder where it came from also. I guess someone else had done their own research and produced the name on the link you posted.

You said you haven't got access to the records. I take it you don't have a subscription to ancestry. Good news they have a free access weekend starting now, until 23.59pm on the 21th Sep 2014. You might have to sign up to ancestry, but you don't need any card details etc
                    Thank you Natasha, that is good news. I am a member so I will have a look tomorrow. I do feel that if we found out more about her it might help to discover her murderer. Certainly give us a better understanding of her circumstances.

Unlikely, of course, but worth a shot...

Amanda

Comment

Thank you Natasha, that is good news. I am a member so I will have a look tomorrow. I do feel that if we found out more about her it might help to discover her murderer. Certainly give us a better understanding of her circumstances.

Unlikely, of course, but worth a shot...

Amanda
                      Kelly's identity, I feel, has been deliberately obscured or rather hidden by authorities. I say this because whilst investigating possible ideas, I did find it increasingly difficult to get any details. For instance, when looking for infirmary records in some parts of Wales, the files had been lost/destroyed etc, that I feel is a little bit strange. There have been other times when investigating Kelly, I came across the dreaded label 'files haven't survived'. I definitely think Kelly's identity is still worth investigating. I think there are other ideas that haven't been explored yet.

I definitely think Philips PM could tell us alot also. Bond's report said her hand was clenched. I think she may have had something of the killers in her hand. There would, I think, be alot more evidence in Millers Court that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
                        Kelly's identity, I feel, has been deliberately obscured or rather hidden by authorities. I say this because whilst investigating possible ideas, I did find it increasingly difficult to get any details. For instance, when looking for infirmary records in some parts of Wales, the files had been lost/destroyed etc, that I feel is a little bit strange. There have been other times when investigating Kelly, I came across the dreaded label 'files haven't survived'. I definitely think Kelly's identity is still worth investigating. I think there are other ideas that haven't been explored yet.

I definitely think Philips PM could tell us alot also. Bond's report said her hand was clenched. I think she may have had something of the killers in her hand. There would, I think, be alot more evidence in Millers Court that night.
                        Well, it does seem strange to me that nothing of her story that she told Barnett can be corroborated.
                        It is odd.
                        Certainly, by today's standards, Miller's Court was awash with evidence.
                        I will have a look tomorrow at the records

Mr B,
                        The name Jeanette originated from France but was used in England, Scotland, Wales and America. It was not as popular in England as Jean, Jane or Janet though. I will look at the records tomorrow using all the name variations, see if I can come up with anything.

Amanda

Comment

Well, I have done some digging , as expected nothing concrete has come up yet.

BUT, I have found a Mary Kelly born in Limerick on the 19th April 1864 to a John Kelly and and Ann McCarthy.
                          I also found out that John McCarthy named one of his daughters Ann.
                          Is it too much of a stretch of the imagination to suggest that Mary Jane Kelly was actually McCarthy's niece? Might explain why he was so lenient with the rent arrears if that was indeed the case...
                          I could not find Mary, John or Ann McCarthy after that find, but I shall keep looking....

Comment

Well, I have done some digging , as expected nothing concrete has come up yet.

BUT, I have found a Mary Kelly born in Limerick on the 19th April 1864 to a John Kelly and and Ann McCarthy.
                            I also found out that John McCarthy named one of his daughters Ann.
                            Is it too much of a stretch of the imagination to suggest that Mary Jane Kelly was actually McCarthy's niece? Might explain why he was so lenient with the rent arrears if that was indeed the case...
                            I could not find Mary, John or Ann McCarthy after that find, but I shall keep looking....
                            Not too much of a stretch, but wouldn't you expect him to have said something to the police if it was his niece and if not him Joe?
                            G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              Not too much of a stretch, but wouldn't you expect him to have said something to the police if it was his niece and if not him Joe?
                              One would have thought so. I've been searching all day but just dead ends. Very frustrating....

Comment

One would have thought so. I've been searching all day but just dead ends. Very frustrating....
                                Ahh frustration, the world of familial research [or any other type most of the time].
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X