The "REAL" Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "REAL" Article

This is the only correspondence from the Ripper you can be sure is truly from the Ripper in my mind. But the graffiti still leaves several questions. Did one of detectives write down the proper rendering of the Ripper's statement in chalk? Are they both wrong? Does the spelling of "Juwes" denote the Ripper's ethnic orgin or poor education? Is the writing a red herring or have some deeper context to it?

These are just some questions that "pop" up for me when I think about the graffiti. All of the other Ripper writings, although entertaining, could be fakes... even the kidney produced could be that of an animals.
    "I'm into, uh, well, murders and executions, mostly. " -Patrick Bateman American Psycho (2000)

Jacks note on the wall

If jack wrote the note, was he in a habbit of carry chalk around in his pocket?
    and what line of business would he be in, to be carrying chalk in his pocket.

He might have been comming from work when he did his crime.
    In the Land of the Blind, the one-eyed man is King !

Comment

school teacher? race course bookie? pavement artist? quarry worker?

Comment

It has been suggested (although I cannot remember were) that it may have been a dress maker.

These people would have been familiar with sharp objects, carried chalk etc.
        Regards Mike

Comment

If the killer did write the message(and I'm one of those whothinks he didn't) then--so what??

Since we don't kow exactly what it says or what it means, what's the point?
          Mags

Comment

I think any number of people may have had a piece of chalk in their pocket.

Looking at the contents of the victim's pockets, it appears the residents of the east end were pack-rats who would collect all manner of bric-a-brac in the course of their daily lives.
            “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

The REAL article? Pull my...

This is the only correspondence from the Ripper you can be sure is truly from the Ripper in my mind.
              Seeing as there is no eveidence to verify this 'fact' (therefore leaving a possibility not certainty), the question shouldnt be why did Jack have a piece of chalk but rather why would your Eastender have chalk?

Watch the various scenarios flood in.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

To draw round the bodies, of course!
                Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by dougie View Post
                  school teacher? race course bookie? pavement artist? quarry worker?
                  tailor? carpenter? Olympic gymnast?

Comment

I think the simplest answer to why the person who wrote that message had chalk on him at the time is that he wanted to write a message. I doubt that the person was idly going through his pockets, realized he had chalk, and then just up and decided to write something on a wall on a whim.

That goes for whether it was written by the killer or not.

Dan Norder
                    Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                    Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                      I think any number of people may have had a piece of chalk in their pocket.

Looking at the contents of the victim's pockets, it appears the residents of the east end were pack-rats who would collect all manner of bric-a-brac in the course of their daily lives.

True any number of people may have had a piece of chalk in their pocket.

So did any of the suspects have a reason to carry chalk?

Comment

Is there any sources to indicate how common this form (or any form) of Graffiti was at the time?
                        John Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
                          I think the simplest answer to why the person who wrote that message had chalk on him at the time is that he wanted to write a message. I doubt that the person was idly going through his pockets, realized he had chalk, and then just up and decided to write something on a wall on a whim.

That goes for whether it was written by the killer or not.
                          You said "That goes for whether it was written by the killer or not."

I agree with that, because he never did that before.

So if he did used the chalk that he uses in his business, to print the message, but he wrote the letters?

From my experiences writing and printing is a spontaneous thing, when you want to leave a quick message, it is a reflex you do not think of.

So if he did write this message, which seemed to be important to him, to take the time to write, with a major man hunt going on for him, and a bloody apron behind him, why not just send another letter to the newspapers, with that message on it? The circulation would have been better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                            It has been suggested (although I cannot remember were) that it may have been a dress maker.

These people would have been familiar with sharp objects, carried chalk etc.
                            Were any of the suspects a dress maker?

Comment

Originally posted by NOV9 View Post
                              So if he did write this message, which seemed to be important to him, to take the time to write, with a major man hunt going on for him, and a bloody apron behind him, why not just send another letter to the newspapers, with that message on it? The circulation would have been better.
                              The apron provides credibility for the message, which, in turn, ties in with the other Jewish "associations" of the night. With hindsight, we can see that he got pretty good circulation after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X